Want a raise, am I asking to much.

Hello,

First of all let me say that I am so glad I found this forum. Its perfect for my life and its many relationship problems etc. :)

Anyway back to the topic. Ive just recently started a new job as a manager for a service industry company and moved my family from the far North of Australia back to the city to live. I got the job by a phone interview only and was employed to replace another bloke who just didn't quite make the grade.

Within the first few weeks the other guy who was originally kept on as a 2IC ended up quitting. I then started to spot heaps of mistakes he had made which totalled to about $15000 in costs. Things like not checking supplier invoices and being overcharged for jobs, and having far too much staff all doing overtime for nothing. Ive managed to cut our costs right down considerably, have got rid of the bad wood and slack ar$e$, and improved the overall performance of the branch. The operations manager told me he has noticed a huge improvement at the branch overall and is very happy with the way the staff and I are going.

When I first applied for the job the salary on offer was between 63K-67K. I was offered 63K and was happy to take this as I needed a job so we could move back to the city. Although I had never worked in this industry before I had been a manager in the transport industry for 11 years and this was very similar. I have since found out that the guy before me was on 60k and as far as Im concerned he was an idiot. I also found out that the guy before him was a real slack ar$e and wasted time all day doing nothing and he was on 70K.

So of course I am wanting to be paid at least 70k. Review time is in June and I am going to hold out until then but if I am not offered at least 70k then I will be asking for that.

This is based on my overall management experience, the improvement Ive already brought to the depot such as cost savings etc and the previous managers track records and comparitive salarys to mine.

So.....Am I asking for to much of a raise in one hit considering I have only been with the company for 8 months by then?

If you've really done a great job then you could march in, tell them you've enjoyed the challenge of working there, but you have to give your notice because another company has offered you 70K, an offer you can't refuse.

Odds are good they'll match the offer, unless applicants for your position are a dime a dozen.

Safest bet is to line up any job, even if it doesn't pay 70, so you'll have a job if the ploy fails. As the time for you to leave approaches you could say the new employer has changed the terms and you'd like to stay.

Australia is flush with jobs and too many employers at the moment.

So many other jobs out there you could easily walk into at the moment that they'd be foolish to let you go without a fight.

Go for 70k!

• Author

Thanks for the replies. I suppose you've got a point Enema. The fact that they employed me just from a phone interview when I lived 5000kms away probably says that they were really short on candidates in the first place.

If I was to call their bluff they would probably be considering if they want to go though all the pain of advertising and re-hiring again. The other problem they would have is all staff at the depot have only been there less than 6 months so they have no-one who is really experienced to take the reins until someone new learnt the ropes.

It really is my advantage