I got an interview!!!!!

AHHHH, I am so excited!!! I got my first interview for a Masters level therapist position. It's with a drug and alcohol rehab center where my bf lives. We are moving in to a new apartment when I graduate in May and it's a little further away from where this job is..but not by much!

I am so nervous and excited. My concern is that I can't start the job until I have actually graduated in May. I'm hoping this will have no bearing on the job, and I honestly think I really have a shot at it! Wow, I'm darn glad I spent so many years in college!!! Does anyone have any experience in interviewing jobs in which they can't start for awhile? Did you still get offered the job? What should I say when the employer asks me?

P.S. He knows I'm in my last semester of school, he looked at my resume so I'm assuming he realizes I can't start until the end of the semester.

• Author

Thanks guys! I'm so excited!!!! I'm nervous though, I'm sure they are going to ask me a lot of questions and it's a higher level interview then the ones I have been on.

HokeyReligions

Ask what there is you can do to prepare for full-time work? Maybe even an internship-type position part-time to help fill in the gap? May is not that far off!

I hired someone once who couldn't start right away and we were able to rearrange some of the work load to accomodate that person. It wasn't much of a hardship because we didn't require immediate start date. This employer may not have the immediate need and can wait.

Be honest and think of all the reasons why they would benefit from waiting to hire you versus hiring someone else right now. Show them that and you're worth the wait.

Congrats!

• Author
Ask what there is you can do to prepare for full-time work? Maybe even an internship-type position part-time to help fill in the gap? May is not that far off!

I hired someone once who couldn't start right away and we were able to rearrange some of the work load to accomodate that person. It wasn't much of a hardship because we didn't require immediate start date. This employer may not have the immediate need and can wait.

Be honest and think of all the reasons why they would benefit from waiting to hire you versus hiring someone else right now. Show them that and you're worth the wait.

Congrats!

Thanks for the advice. Actually the issue is that I can't really do any kind of internship or anything because I'm currently doing one right now Mon-Friday and the position that I'm interviewing for is in a city in PA that I'm from and that I'm going to be moving back to after i finish school (I'm currently an hour 1/2 away right now). I'm assuming this employer knows this since I listed that I'm currently doing an internship in another place.

My plan was to be honest with him, and hope that he won't care that I can't start for awhile. And May isn't all that far away, you are right!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
How'd it go, LB?

Didn't have it yet..I made it over spring break so it's March 10th..I'll keep you updated though!