Interview for a job I really want

I interviewed last week (screening interview) and didn't think I did that well. I worked the night before like usual and went in with very little (well, non) sleep and just walked out feeling like I tanked it. I usually interview very well and have been told that by many people. Surprisingly though, I made it through to the final interview and I really want the job. This time I'm taking off of work the night before so I can get an actual night's sleep before going in.

My issue, so to speak, is that although I interview well generally, I really want to go in and take over this interview. Maybe it's for personal redemption, but I really want this opportunity to go my way.

I'm asking anyone who has ever had to interview others or that has experience. What are positive ways a prospective employee can control an interview? What does NOT work? I want to be confident without being obnoxious, but I have so much experience to offer this position that I feel like they would be silly to pass me up. Any suggestions on the way to tread?

I don't directly interview everyone who applies to my company but I do sit in (we do group interviews) on about 80% of our interviews and I've learned a lot from this experience.

Definately make sure you know a lot about the company- if you say you're good at interviewing I"m sure this is the basics for you but thats one thing that I"ve seen ruin most interviewees chances is that they talk ALL about themselves and their experience (which is good to know) but you need to apply that to what you can do for THEM. That is what they want to hear. Also remember everyone's names and send a thank you card afterward. Again just the basics but you'd be suprised by how many applicants I"ve seen who ignore these simple rules.

Obviously if you have a 2nd interview they like you and think you might be a good fit for the job. Show them that you have researched their company and how you could be a great employee there. Like you said, be confident but not obnoxious and when they ask where you see yourself in five years don't look at the manager who is interviewing you and say you want their job (actually happened at my company)

I do have recruiting experience but I'm not sure that's what you need -- it sounds like you just need to BE YOURSELF!

You already have confidence that you interview well -- and obviously you didn't really mess-up the screening interview...that's just something you started telling yourself and now you believe it.

If you go in there with the intent of being/showing something different than who you are, there's a bigger chance that it'll come off all nervous and anxious -- NOT the impression a recruiter wants.

Congrats on making it to the 'final round' -- win them with your confidence, grace and knowledge of your competence! ;)

What are positive ways a prospective employee can control an interview? What does NOT work? I want to be confident without being obnoxious, but I have so much experience to offer this position that I feel like they would be silly to pass me up.

For one, don't take that attitude. Lexi stated it well:

Definitely make sure you know a lot about the company- if you say you're good at interviewing I"m sure this is the basics for you but thats one thing that I've seen ruin most interviewees chances is that they talk ALL about themselves and their experience (which is good to know) but you need to apply that to what you can do for THEM. That is what they want to hear. Also remember everyone's names and send a thank you card afterward. Again just the basics but you'd be surprised by how many applicants I've seen who ignore these simple rules.

The interview is a tit-for-tat process. You sell yourself, while they simultaneously convince you to join them.

Be careful about controlling an interview, when it's a direct reporting superior involved. They may see this as an indication of non-team player behaviour and feel a little threatened by it.

Make it give and take, sometimes they ask you questions, sometimes you ask them intelligent questions. Let them sell you with their responses. Don't be afraid to show them that their responses are satisfying or impressing you by nodding a bit, in a thoughtful manner, with a touch of a smile.

How about a good old fashioned Thank you letter?

My current job, I went through the preliminary interview and the final one. After the final one, I wrote a thank you letter by email and via postal. I don't know whether or not writing it influenced me getting hired, but regardless it helps a tad bit because it shows you're enthusiastic about working there, plus nowadays very few people write Thank You letters anyway.

• Author

Well, it's over. I feel like I really nailed it... so much better than the first time around and it was for the higher-ups. I was excited when I left. If I don't get it, I won't be because I acted like an idiot :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I took it all into account when planning my approach.

Your resume' is what got you in the door, they already know you are capable of doing the task they are interviewing for.

Answer their questions and ad "a little" don't get sucked into the "pregnant pause" and run your mouth off because if felt uncomfortable for that 5 seconds there was silence.

They are looking at your culture and if it is a fit. Get there early and listen to the employees talking and ask the greeter a few questions like (if it is a holiday) how was the Christmas Party or do they do summer BBQ's, look for golf items and pictures on the wall from company events..Listen to the type of conversation going on around the office and quickly analyze the environment.

Remember, if you "put on" an act in the interview and your are awarded the job...You will need to continue acting like that person you were in the interview...