I have worked for the same company for 7 yrs. The boss I have now has been my boss for the last 2. WHen my old boss retired (I loved her she was the most wonderful boss!) and I found out who my new boss would be I literally cried!. My current boss is one of those guys who got their position-not through hard work, or because he was qualified for the job (he didnt' even meet the minimum requirements- no degree no experience supervising anyone) but through connections/politics. (his parents are big shots in our community)

As a coworker this guy is nice, funny, fun to hang out with. But as a boss he is horrible. My biggest complaint is that he thinks he is MR. Caring, Mr. wonderful and that couldn't be farther from the truth. He is in his 40's and acts like a guy in his 20's. He never takes responsibilty for his mistakes (makes a lot of them) and he has no idea what the people he supervises actually do. If someone asked him what I do he would have no idea!. The first year I worked for him he had to give me my annual evaluation. Do you know what he did?? He copied the exact evaluation that my old boss gave me the year before and submitted it as his own work!! Gave me the exact same comments and scores and my old boss did. He didn't even change any of the wording. Thats how lazy/unprofesssional he is! His biggest excuse is that he forgets things. He will tell me to do something (and it will be something that I wasn't supposed to do) and he will get yelled at by his superior and he will say he didnt' tell me to do it. Annoying.

The other thing that bothers me is that his staff always celebrates his birthday, boss's day, his graduation from college (just got his degree this year) etc/ We always chip in (there are only three of us so it can get expensive) to get him a cake, card and gift. As I said there are only 3 of us that he supervises so if I refuse to chip in it will make me look bad. However he NEVER reciprocates. He doesnt even give us a card for christmas, doesnt' remember birthdays etc. He is the guy who will eat everything at the company covered dish luncheon but won't bother bringing any food to it. He had a heart attack last year and we all visited him at the hospital etc. We even chipped in to pay his tv bill from the hospital for him. well late last year my grandmother passed away. My boss didn't even acknowledge this- he actually said to me "oh thats good you get an excuse for a vacation- three days off!!" Not I'm sorry to hear that or anything. Just laughed and told me to have fun on my three day (bereavement leave) vacation. Yes, its just wonderful when someone you're close to DIES (sarcasm).

And this year when he gave me my evaluation one of the things he wrote is that I need to pay more attention to detail in my work(and in this paragraph he mis-spelled five words, started a sentence twice, and used the wrong noun-verb agreement once!!! Very ironic seeing as I'M the one he thinks needs to pay more attention to detail.

I love my job but sometimes HATE going to work because I have to deal with my boss. Any advice?

Do your two co-workers feel the same way about this man? If so, could the 3 of you not approach HR together?

Make a list of your concerns and issues so that you are clear before you approach them, and then raise them with the appropriate people.

Tough spot to be in. In terms of the management world, he sounds like he just learned to walk upright last week and is still dragging his knuckles on the ground.

Your best bet is to CYA. Make sure you document what you do, particularly any ideas or solutions you develop. When you go for your next PA, insist on doing a self appraisal first and then comparing it to his. Be honest with yourself when you do this and again, document. This will give you a basis for discussion and hopefully you can reach a common ground for your assessment.

I've seen to many end runs around the boss to HR that have ended up poorly. I had a similar situation with my work team so we decided to make our boss look so good they promoted him out of our hair. We all made our bonuses on top of that so it was worth the effort.