Performance review topics

I'd like to address some issues during my upcoming performance review. I've never done this before - I've usually just sat there and absorbed everything they had to say about my performance, but my bosses have some issues too with regards to case management and interpersonal communication with their associates. One of them makes at least one of us cry on a weekly basis (he doesn't know about it, of course!). I know two of my colleagues are preparing lists of things they'd like to discuss, so I want to be equally prepared for this meeting.

I know that I'm my best advocate, so I'd like to be prepared to defend myself against any criticism (while accepting it at the same time) while also providing examples of things I'd like to see changed/improved. Is this appropriate? How do I know whether they will be amenable to such a discussion?

providing examples of things I'd like to see changed/improved

Here's the only aspect I would provide. What I've noticed in business in general, is that most management don't want to hear the problems with no solutions.

If you provide it like a list of changes you think would provide staff with more tools for productivity or improved moral, I'm guessing they would be more amenable to it.

If you provide it like a list of changes you think would provide staff with more tools for productivity or improved moral, I'm guessing they would be more amenable to it.

Bosses love to see things that put money in their pocket.. or make the company more profitable..

Show a boss things that are wrong with him and his company and you will stifle yourself there..

Show a boss how if things were changed or added that you would be more productive and show him how it affects his pocket and bottom line and you will get everything you ask for.

It is all in the presentation.. if you want change then you have to show them how that change will make them more money and not cost more money..

The problem becomes where someone only goes halfway and brings up the problems.. you need to show resolutions for those problems and show the data.. If you expect him to do the legwork you will lose that battle..

most management don't want to hear the problems with no solutions.

w3rd.

The management at my company has no problem listening to things employees want changed but they stipulate that if we're going to identify a problem we should have a possible solution in mind.

• Author

I'm also concerned that they're gonna stiff me on a decent raise - either claiming I suck, or that they've had too many expenses (true, but $$$ is ROLLING in!). How should I deal with that, if it happens (other than looking for a new job)?

Well they say that when you negotiate raises you should present a review of your past accomplishments and how you've contributed to the company's success. If you can put it in terms of dollar amounts earned for the company then that's even better.

And if that doesn't work then go with a low cut top. :D

SG, prove that you deserve that decent raise by showing billable hours.

If they attempt to negate this with assorted other reasons, if you produce a list of recommendations to offset their negative reasons, such as how management can improve everyone's productivity through good management practices, they will have to take it under advisement.

Having said that, from the stories that assorted lawyer friends and contacts have told me, unless you're a partner, they will attempt to stiff anyone. If so, find yourself another place of employ that will bring you in at a higher initial rate, without burning your bridges with this existing firm, for future references.

No one can fault you for looking elsewhere, if they can't meet your expectations of salary or advancement.

Well they say that when you negotiate raises you should present a review of your past accomplishments and how you've contributed to the company's success. If you can put it in terms of dollar amounts earned for the company then that's even better.

As well as show them what you will do for them in the future....

Some bosses like to see what you are going to do for them in the future instead of just hearing what you have already been paid to do.

As well as show them what you will do for them in the future....

Some bosses like to see what you are going to do for them in the future instead of just hearing what you have already been paid to do.

I do agree with this but be conservative in your target numbers.

If you don't meet those targets, guaranteed they'll stiff you next time. ;)

• Author

TBF - I'd love to be able to refer to my billable hours. This is the first and only firm I've ever heard of that doesn't allow its associates to account for ANY portion of their travel time in totaling their billable hours or analyzing their productivity. I estimate that I spent at least 200 hours in 2007 traveling. Many of our clients or the venues where the cases are filed are 2+ hours away. One was 5 hours away, another 8! So while my hours are still great, they'd be much higher if they took that into consideration.

TBF - I'd love to be able to refer to my billable hours. This is the first and only firm I've ever heard of that doesn't allow its associates to account for ANY portion of their travel time in totaling their billable hours or analyzing their productivity. I estimate that I spent at least 200 hours in 2007 traveling. Many of our clients or the venues where the cases are filed are 2+ hours away. One was 5 hours away, another 8! So while my hours are still great, they'd be much higher if they took that into consideration.

Ba da bing SG!!!!

Put dollars and cents to that and multiply it by the number of associates working in your firm. I wonder how far this would bump up the annual revenue figures? Keep on thinking like this!!