Change of career dilemma, In my company

So anyway recently I found out my company opened a position for a graphic designer - obviously they are looking for someone full-time. Though I graduated last spring with a degree in graphic design I do fulfill the requirements to fill that position. And awkwardly enough my position in the company doesn't involve design. My position/responsibilities is a branch off of that field.

Though my boss knows that I have a degree in that field, I'm surprised he hasn't asked me if I wanted to partake in the opportunity. Though I also know that if I attempted to apply for that position, he would have to find a replacement to fill the position I'm currently in. And there is also a possibility of that position having a lower salary as a graphic designer than the one I'm on now.

I guess the biggest thing that might be alarming to me is job security. If I apply and he hires me, I have a responsibility to maintain a certain level of quality in my work and help push the company forward. And if i don't maintain my level of expertise in this position, I could wind up scrutinizing my place in the company. Though the current position I'm in now has little room for error, and it's more promising towards job stability/security. While that new position is giving me more opportunity to grow as a person and do what I went to school for

My friend tells me I should go for it. Though if I don't apply I could gladly get his foot in the door of the company also since he is in this field. Frankly, this is a big decision here - though maybe I should talk to my boss more about this.

What do you guys think? Has anyone faced a similar dilemma like mine before?

First of all I have to ask are you happy in the position your in now? If your not happy than I would say go for it. It is better to be doing something you enjoy than to be doing something that you feel safe doing. and all though this may sound like a fortune cookie, you will never know if you can succeed if you don't try. And second if you apply and don't get in then its not like you lose your job now which will can do till another job comes your way. I think that you should go for it whats to lose. Good luck:)

• Author
First of all I have to ask are you happy in the position your in now? If your not happy than I would say go for it. It is better to be doing something you enjoy than to be doing something that you feel safe doing. and all though this may sound like a fortune cookie, you will never know if you can succeed if you don't try. And second if you apply and don't get in then its not like you lose your job now which will can do till another job comes your way. I think that you should go for it whats to lose. Good luck:)

I've been in my position roughly for about 3 months, and so far it's been a pleasure. Though I'm not learning anything new, and there aren't any real/new challenges or responsibilities coming my way. Though I do feel some responsibility to stay in my position because my supervisor did train me on things I didn't know. I guess in a sense I've kind of hit the comfort zone of my job as do all people. I wouldn't exactly say I hate/dislike my job, the people in my department are friendly so I do have a blanket of security too.

Though I think I might talk to my boss and my supervisor and see what they have to say. The problem with me is I get bored easily and I prefer challenge sometimes.

AriaIncognito

Would you have the same boss if you were to switch? Perhaps he didn't mention it if he thought he'd lose you from his group? (which isn't a good way to do things, but, you can also understand him not wanting to lose a good worker).