Business venture - response to people's reactions

Hi,

I've decided to quit and start out on my own. To me, it's exciting that I can support myself merely what I think of, and the money I earn myself - without other people, jobs, handouts, and the like. No boss but the client(s).

My family and even the few friends who know aren't excited and react like, ok, that's nice, you'll save up some money and get a real job.

I have a real job making 2x what I'd make working for someone else.

So I'm excited and they're not -- how come they aren't?

melodymatters

Some people simply don't think it's a real " job" unless you are punching a time clock somewhere ! That is their issue, not yours. Somehow I've made it to forty without ever having to have a boss or punch a clock and there are some definite up, AND down sides to both worlds.

But at the end of the day : who's life are you living anyway ?

PS. I'm looking for a new venture now that real estate is in the toilet in FL, care to share ???? :cool:

I think that melodymatters has hit the nail on the head. I hope for your sake Sunblast you locate your business outside of your home.

I owned my own business and did it from my home for 10 years--you wouldn't believe how many times mothers would try to dump their kids off on me when they were sick or we were having snow days.....because as they said "I was home". There was a definite lack of respect on their end.

I loved working for myself, it was the hardest and most rewarding thing that I have ever done.

Good for you Sunblast!!! In this day and age of corporate mergers and down sizing who is ever sure that they will have a job?

Sometimes jealousy is definately plays a part! and I say that to only say this.. Some people get a little jealous when they hear someone is doing something that requires them to take a risk! A lot of people just dont have enough courage or are in a predictament to start your own business. I say go for the glory and good luck!

Venturing out on your own is not easy! Granted the rewards are much better in the end!

I'm glad you took the first step and that is life of an entreprenaur. Taking the jump regardless of what others think.

Good luck!

Hi,

I've decided to quit and start out on my own. To me, it's exciting that I can support myself merely what I think of, and the money I earn myself - without other people, jobs, handouts, and the like. No boss but the client(s).

My family and even the few friends who know aren't excited and react like, ok, that's nice, you'll save up some money and get a real job.

I have a real job making 2x what I'd make working for someone else.

So I'm excited and they're not -- how come they aren't?

I have the same problem. I started my own business right out of my home. This has been my first year, I do make money but not allow (only because of the way I set it up to benefit others in my area. But my family & friends it don't seem to matter to them that its a job for me. They act like I don't work at all.

I work for myself, although the nature of my work means I still have to do a nine to five and have some obligations to my patients.

My advice to you would be make sure you have got a good accountant. They can save you alot of grief AND money, and for that reason they are worth their fees.

They know alot about things like tax, tax exemptions, tax deductible expenses etc and will help your business work to its full financial potential.

Oh, and another thing- make sure you set aside enough money for holidays, and put some kind of income protection policy in place in case you get sick or injured.

I am not sure about the US, but in the UK we get a certain amount of paid holiday and sick leave, and it can be a shock to the system if you don't budget for the fact that you don't get these when you are self employed.