I have an assistant, who is a bad employee, she has the worst attendance and does her job very poorly. She was a temp and I recommended to my boss back in June that we do not convert her when her six months were up as a temp, they converted her anyways in July. Since then, we have had to write her up for her attendance (in early October) and the write up stated that she was not to miss any more work. She also talks behind my back to other co-workers about how I micromanage her and that I only give her the crappy jobs to do. One of hte other co-workers actually confronted me about it.

Since the write up she has missed a day because she had to drive a friend of hers 200 miles, she called out sick two weeks ago and just went home early today.

This morning I had a talk with her about her work performance. Some tasks that should have taken two days have been pending for four weeks. Example: I asked to her update our Excel contact sheet with three new employees (name, phone number and job title) and seven e-mails later it is still not right. I asked her to talk to our landlord about a cover for one of the lights, that was five weeks ago. The list goes on and on.

In July we had our bonus reviews and she sent her's to my boss (she thought he was going to do it) she rated her self above satisfactory and said the only thing that could have gone better in the quarter was if I had given her more work to do. But when I do, she takes way tolong and I spend twice the amount of time following up on the task then it would have taken me to just do it, which 40% of the time I end up following up 3-4 times then doing it myself.

So today after she asked to go home early I met with my boss. He lost it on ME, saying that he has lost his patience with dicusssing this and to send her home and tomorrow we can start looking for someone else or we can counsel her.

It's his choice so I wish he would just commit to one of the other, preferabley the first. I did tell him four months ago that we should not hire her because her performance and attendance was going to be a pattern repeated but they did not want to listen.

I really want to sit down with him and tell him that his lack of patience is misdirected and that as much as he is sick of hearing about it I am sick of talking about it and that I advised them not to hire her full-time but they did it anyways.

Do you think I should talk to my boss about his anger towards me?

Are you her superior ?

This is where he might be getting the anger from.. I'll bet anything he thinks you should've been able to handle her and instead you have made sure that he has had to deal with her.

I think your boss thinks you also dropped the ball.. Obviously he thinks that it isn't worth calling you out on it because he thinks you are a good employee

I wouldn't worry too much about it.. it seems her term there is going to be short from here on out...

Just a guess....

• Author

Yeah, I figure he is taking that stance. I do supervisor her, when I am given the chance. I can't control her lack of dedication to this job. I even recommended that we did not hire her but terminate her back in June. To me that releases any responsiblity on my part for her continue downhill spiral. When she was written up, it came from him and not me because he wanted us to build a good working relationship. When she was converted I was not even present in the meeting.

I understand that he thinks I dropped the ball because it's an on going issue but one that I recommended we terminate months ago.

By bringing up his mistakes then you are putting a target on your back.

Don't talk with him about it right now.. maybe later after it all pans out with her and she is gone.

10-1 that he would also feel that even though you recommended months ago she be fired or never hired that he felt differently.. and he might have even been putting faith in you that you help smooth out the wrinkles with her.. grooming her to be an even better employee than you had seen in her.

Just lie low right now and wait and see.. if he thinks you should counsel her and you don't want too then you might want to speak with him about your duties and what he expects of you..

It also sounds like your responsibilities and duties as well as his expectations of you are in question..maybe you both are not on the same page.. however it pans out you might want to nail those down with him so you can excel and perform.

• Author

I can see how he wanted me to smooth out the wrinkles, but I can't make someone care about their job if they don't. He needs to be realistic and realize that there was not much I could have done with the situation. I can't force someone to come to work, nor can I force them to do what they are supposed to. If she won't then we need to find someone who will.

She called out sick today and it's a big day, we have seven very important clients coming in and I was already scrambling. Now I have to do what I was going to delegate to her in addition to covering the reception desk while trying to help take care of these clients. I am not happy about this.

Thanks for listening to me!

I would have a meeting with both of them at the same time. Tell them both your thoughts and listen to theirs. Maybe something will work out from there. But if she knows all this and is getting away with it, what else may she be able to get away with if she only says:::: yada yada yada..

Good Luck