Have major anxiety about starting new job

Hi,

I'm getting ready to start a new job in a few weeks and the idea of it is terrifying me. It's not that I'm afraid of the job. I have had many jobs in my life, have a college degree, and am perfectly capable. I just begin to get so much anxiety and nervousness that I cannot function. I'm sort of a perfectionist and have high expectations of myself and just want to do it right. I dont know where all the stress comes from and was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences, and how to cope. and if it matters, I'm 30.

thanks!

melodymatters

No matter how many accomplishments I have behind me, new jobs, ventures, ALWAYS freak me out. I agree, it stems from a sense of perfectionism.

I always rememeber something a professional shrink said to me when I was having anxiety attacks :

" Anticipation is the worst part of anxiety"

really think about that ! Nothing is ever so bad, as all the WORRYING we do before hand.

So keep reminding youself of that. remind youself how you lived and thrived through every damn situation before this one and how you will again.

You've got to get tough : with YOURSELF, so you don't drive YOURSELF, crazy !

Crazy, isn't it ???:cool::bunny::cool::bunny:

Being a perfectionist with high expectations of yourself, I'm going to guess your anxiety comes from not knowing what exactly to expect. You don't yet know what to plan and prepare for.

Take it one day at a time. Seriously - concentrate only on day one. Plan for that first day - plan what you'll wear, what you will bring with you, how you will get to work, who you will meet with first - and stop there. You've been through this before, so you know what to expect on day one. Don't think about what follows - it will sort itself out.

I think you are afraid of rejection because you don't feel you have control over that and that's normal. The trick is to learn how to deal with rejection. What I do, is I tell myself that if this job doesn't work out there will be another one. I do the same thing with girls. If this one rejects me then there will be another one until I find the girl. Same with jobs. In most cases, you will have a job for a while and then you will look for another one. So there was really nothing that made the first job that special as you once thought. That's just my way of thinking.

Hi cardiodancer

ohh being a perfectionist,is one way to feel so much anxiety,just be yourself,and do the best you can. noone is perfect. You are a human just like we are,and none is better than you. good luck with your new job,you can do it hun,just b-r-e-a-t-h.

HokeyReligions

Every time I've started a new job I've felt that way. One thing you might do is to contact your soon-to-be boss and ask if there is any information that you can have now so that you can start familarizing yourself with the company and your duties. In my experience, 'bosses' like that because it shows that you are interested, a little anxious, and it puts them at ease too.

Depending on the company and how they inform other employees of new hires, you might even ask for the name of someone with whom you would be working and who will be there to help train you. Maybe even set a lunch date outside of the job and meet with this person. The folks who know a new person is coming are anxious too! A lot depends on the type of job and work environment but in professional business offices this has worked for me in the past. Its also less frightening when on your first day you know someone a little and are already getting familiar with terminology and the company.

Good Luck & Congrats on the new job!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Hello!

Well, tomorrow is my big day. I start my new job. I was starting to get that anxious feeling and decided to check in on ole LS for some friendly advice.

Thanks everyone for responding. It helps to reread the posts. I find it calming.

Wish me luck! (and any other last minute advice)

Wear comfortable clothing!! I refuse to wear hose on the first day of an office job because I already feel constricted and nervous. Just my little good luck charm to ease the day, GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!