Has anyone quit their jobs without another one lined up?

I am pondering this scenario with my current job.

Don't do it jerbear. A resume always looks better when it clearly shows you're still employed. Consider it a bargaining chip.

Agreed. Take it from someone who knows.

• Author

I didn't quit but applied to more jobs and connected with more networks. I have been making more contacts and quit frankly even did something bad today.

I completed my annual performance goals review, but it was sent back. I've put in items way above what "my level" requires. One thing the company did this year was include "friends", contacts, networks, associations. I've put in VIPs that I know and kept in contact over time or were my references when I was "younger" (policians, company founders, etc...) and apparently they were not appropriate for my level. Just a rant...

Guess I am really determined to move on.

Okay, now I'm confused. Don't you work for big brother? How in the world do they get away with asking you confidential questions like that and then reject your responses? It's one thing to request references when they're considering you for a job and a whole 'nother thing to consider it as part of the annual review process.

• Author

I work for a "big brother" and as part of the annual goal setting process includes ones associations (so the brother can gain more contacts for business). My assocations and contacts were rejected due to my level. Some other managers asked why I'm not generating business, I said to them you guys don't share so why should I? Share as in managed revenue if the account is won. Oh well...

I've realized that I'm underutilized, pigeon holed, and quite frankly I think the entreprenural spirit just kicked in?

I'm still floored that they can ask for personal contacts. I wouldn't provide anyone to them unless it's an "Association" that I belong to, which is applicable to the business that I'm working in.

Big brother provides job security and better benefits. It also can be a stifling atmosphere, if you have an entreprenurial spirit.

Let your contacts know you're unhappy and can be enticed. :)

Has anyone quit their jobs without another one lined up?

I am pondering this scenario with my current job.

Yes, I have - twice.

The first time I took a sabbatical for a year - meaning I cashed in some stock options, and was able to negotiate a nice severance package since I'd been there for many years - and then took time off without looking for work. That was one of the best years of my life! I traveled everywhere, rested, recharged, and loved every minute. I was recruited for my next job, so I wasn't looking yet.

The second time, I quit in order to move to another city. I had only been at that company for a little over a year and I didn't really like it, so leaving was no big loss as far as I was concerned. However, I did put together a transfer proposal and because they couldn't 'accommodate' my move to another city, they gave me some money to make me shut up and I collected unemployment as well.

Leaving without having a new job lined up worked out well for me as my job is in the relationship development/relationship management/sales area with consulting and sw companies, so I have lots of contacts everywhere, and I have a few very good friends who are also well connected. But, you do have to have cash stockpiled, and nerves of steel so you don't freak out at being unemployed.

It's usually much better to look for another job while you are still employed and then jump.

RecordProducer
I've realized that I'm underutilized, pigeon holed, and quite frankly I think the entreprenural spirit just kicked in?
So what kind of job are you looking for?
  • Author
So what kind of job are you looking for?

Position that is more strategic with tactics instead of strategic and implementation. I'll send you an PM on job titles.

AriaIncognito

I'd have to go with the majority on this one. Look for a job while you are still employed and give notice once you have an offer.

It's a ton of stress to know you dont have a job. I've never quit a job, but I've been laid off, and not knowing what your next source of income is going to be, is rough.

If you're unhappy, put out your feelers. See what you can dig up. Might not take that long, if you have a lot of contacts.

Personally, I dont loathe my job yet, but I've got 2 different people that have asked me in the last month if i'd be willing to leave. Keep contacts fresh, it helps.

Good luck in your search.

As the talking cat above my post mentions you can look for another job while still employeed, I hate to argue with a cute animal like that but I would say this... quit, just quit, and don't do it nicely either but tell them what you think of them. Find a job but don't be miserable there, as far as connections go my job is meaningless / pointless so I guess if yours is more valuable then don't tell them off.

I would steal some stuff though before you leave, staplers and stuff, cool things, wOOt.

• Author

Thanks everyone, I will keep you guys posted.

I did have the fear of getting laid off, fired, negativce review, etc... but in reality I guess it is just a part of me that wants to try for a entreprise operation. I even thought of going back to school to get an MBA but this time to work on my business plans; yes plans. Work on the plans while in school with the intention of executing the plans during or after graduation.

Not having a pay check is something I do fear but that is also part of the risk of being an entrepreneur. The entrepreneur mindset is always looking for a challenge and new things.

I guess it is the astro sign in my kicking in? or a recent break in NC that motivated me? or job issue? or a combination?

I like the cool stuff idea but I think the best ideas are those that they teach you. ;) I personally have way many different sticky notes from the office super store $1 sale.

I have a few networking events lined up and will make contact with those in my network to see if they have leads to what I am looking for. Talking about that I've already formally, for formality reasons, submitted my resume to a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, I've quit 2 jobs without having one lined up. See, i live by this motto;

I don't live to work, I work to live

meaning anytime i am unhappy in my job, i move on. I'm not about feeling STUCK because i have nowhere else to go. from my experience, everything works out the way it should. Yes, you might be pinching pennies for a while but the payoff is happiness and it will all be worth it.

You are in control of your life. Your JOB is not. Do what you must do to bring happiness and job satisfaction to yourself. i hate that people feel they must stay at what could be a miserable and abusive job.

Quit, enjoy the freedom and the unknown. it has always worked out for me.

Good Luck!

• Author

I had my 1st interview and it went ok; they want me to interview for other groups as well. I don't think I "got it." Oh well...

Doing a career change is not easy! I might pull a modified TBF move now as in go independent.

I did consider quitting or going back to what I did before. I now overqualify for many of the positions. :mad: oh well...

Not such a bad idea jerbear. It can also be a way to source out the guts of the company, to decide who you'd rather work for, in the future. :)

I only did this one time, when I just out of high school and still living with my parents. I didn't need another job lined up.

Other than that, I probably wouldn't recommend it. Aside from what TBF said, it's just not a smart thing to do. Who knows when the other job will come along? Never know what can happen.