Will job let me go..ever?

I just found this site and thougt some of you may have some advice. I know this may sound weird, but I actually want my job to fire me. If they did I would feel like a huge weight had been lifted off of me. Really long story short I hate my job. I have not even been there a year but knew the first week, which is why I spoke about leaving to my boss but was talked into staying, that the job was not for me. I don't fit in with my coworkers, the company atmosphere, am overqualified and am bored outta my mind bc of the lack of work or redudent tasks I am given. It has become a chore for me even to put on a fake smile and say hello to anyone. My main problem is my manager who is the worst manager I have ever had. Most of the day I surf the internet and pretend to do work always having the company website or some excel spreadsheet where I pretend to copy and paste things. Actually, pretending to do work has become a job in itself lol. And it's not my fault bc I made numerous attempts of requesting more work and months ago gave up. I now started taking an extended lunch break, hanging out in the bathroom bc well I just don't care anymore. I should have run the other way when I heard this position was newly created bc since I've started they have no idea what to do with me nor even know if I have work or don't. The best part is my boss told me I was doing a surpurb and excellent job during my first review lol. I'm getting paid good money too. So the conclusion I have come up with is that they are purposely giving me no work with the hopes that I will become so bored that I will up and leave. Or they do need me..for what I don't know. I refuse to quit though bc then I can't get unemployment money or a severence which I know they pay if they decide to cut your job. Is it possible that they are cheap and don't want to pay me a severence which is why they won't cut my job? I am currently looking for another job. My annual review will be in a few months but if I haven't found something else by then I actually might be forced to quit bc I will kill myself before I waste another year in misery at this place. Do you think then they will cut my position year end?

I have 2 opinions on this topic. In a way, many people would give up so much to be in the position you are. So many people get paid good money for extremely dangerous jobs and would love to be in your shoes, but at the same time, if you feel as miserable as you say you do, that's no way to be either.

Do you have a family to take care of? If so, as long as you are making money to put the food on the table, thank your lucky stars you are employed and are getting paid enough to provide for the people you love.

My suggestion would be to put your resume up on Monster.com if you haven't already. Check job postings in your area on a daily basis, I'm sure somethin' good will turn up for you ;)

Also, have you gone to your manager with these issues? Maybe ask for an advancement in regards to the work you are given (or lack thereof). Try coming across as being very eager and wanting to learn and do more, always ask if he needs something done or if he has any little side jobs that you could help him out with.

Best of luck to you my dear :bunny:

In the economic condition this country is in right now, you ought to thank your luck stars to have a job. If you have no one but yourself depending on you, quit. If you have family to support, ie, spouse, children or pets then suck it up and be glad you have the opportunity to continue providing food to eat and a roof over your head. There are a lot worse things in this world that being paid (and paid well, according to you) for being bored, and being told your doing a good job to boot! Where do I sign up?