Have degree, will work, can't seem to get a good job

Hey,

I have a BA in Religious Studies...i know its practically useless unless I wanted to go back to school. But I have the BA. Why is it that the only jobs i can get are in Sles or customer Service? It seems that the experience I gained for the professional world, i gained while going to college, and not after. I live in San Francisco, and cannot seem to land a good job that pays over 42K. Not sure how to go about gwtting a good job NOT in retail. Any Advice?

How about doing some volunteering work to expand your network?

i.e. peace corp, mission, volunteering, ministry, etc...

Doing altruistic things can actually expand your network and might land you a better job.

melodymatters

Let me be the first to say Galexia : welcome to the modern working world ! I too got a BS years ago in a useless disicpline.

I did ok for 10 yrs with my own business then moved to Fl and became a Realtor, where I also did well until the housing market collapse.

NOW ????? I send out resumes, go to job fairs, career builder, monster, local employment centers and ...yeah, customer service and other low wage crap is what is out there.

thats coupled with being such a low wage, tourist state to begin with. I mean seven to eight dollars an hour is whats being offered out there right now in FL and your bachelors means nothing with out some specific experience in a certain industry.

One needs a trade, a specialization or an MBA to attempt lower middle class status nowadays.

I feel your pain !

• Author
Let me be the first to say Galexia : welcome to the modern working world ! I too got a BS years ago in a useless disicpline.

I did ok for 10 yrs with my own business then moved to Fl and became a Realtor, where I also did well until the housing market collapse.

NOW ????? I send out resumes, go to job fairs, career builder, monster, local employment centers and ...yeah, customer service and other low wage crap is what is out there.

thats coupled with being such a low wage, tourist state to begin with. I mean seven to eight dollars an hour is whats being offered out there right now in FL and your bachelors means nothing with out some specific experience in a certain industry.

One needs a trade, a specialization or an MBA to attempt lower middle class status nowadays.

I feel your pain !

I know it!!! I've been seriously thinking about going back for an MA in Marriage and Family Therapy! Would you or are you considering going back to school? My extremely generous and supportive boyfriend pushes me into do it. he says...when your 40, an you look back at your life at 30, aren't you going to be so glad you decided to invest in your future with this MA degree? The hard work will be done.

I guess I'm getting to the point where an MA is really the only option at remotely securing a successful financial future. Looks like I ought to hit the books again.

San Francisco is so expensive. Think 8-10/hr when a studio apartment is like 1300!!!

melodymatters
I know it!!! I've been seriously thinking about going back for an MA in Marriage and Family Therapy! Would you or are you considering going back to school? My extremely generous and supportive boyfriend pushes me into do it. he says...when your 40, an you look back at your life at 30, aren't you going to be so glad you decided to invest in your future with this MA degree? The hard work will be done.

I guess I'm getting to the point where an MA is really the only option at remotely securing a successful financial future. Looks like I ought to hit the books again.

San Francisco is so expensive. Think 8-10/hr when a studio apartment is like 1300!!!

Yes, I AM thinking about going back to school ! I feel it's a must if I want to break out of this cycle ( and we are not talking about ghetto HS drop outs, to be actually and truly stuck in todays economy !)

One thing to keep in mind, as I am exploring similar avenues, is that right now, at least in NY, insurance will NOT pay for people to see marriage and family counselors with MA's, ONLY CSW's ( clinical social workers who can provide therapy, for those who might not know)

So you want to make sure whatever you do will be something you can get PAID for, and not end up in the same situation with yet another useless degree !

Welcome to the world!

Actually my first thought was....wow...that's not doing to bad of a salary for a degree in that field or a job in customer service! But I guess it's pretty costly where you live so that plays a factor.

Here are my tips:

You keep looking and looking and looking.....and then you look some more.

Talk to people....anyone...and tell them you're interested in jobs.

Make friends with all types of people and of all different ages.

Don't stop learning just because school is out....it's ongoing.

Hey,

I have a BA in Religious Studies...i know its practically useless unless I wanted to go back to school. But I have the BA. Why is it that the only jobs i can get are in Sles or customer Service? It seems that the experience I gained for the professional world, i gained while going to college, and not after. I live in San Francisco, and cannot seem to land a good job that pays over 42K. Not sure how to go about gwtting a good job NOT in retail. Any Advice?

You answered you own question.

You should go back to school, but that's pretty expensive in the US right?

brainless twit

I know your area has a higher cost of living, but 42k with a bachelor's degree is DARN good. I make less than that with a master's degree and professional licensing!