Handling a possible promotion

So I haven't been offered the position yet, but after reviewing my application materials the manager under whom I'd be working offered me an interview next week. It's for a higher position in a different part of my same company. No one except the manager who would be my new boss and HR knows I applied.

I've never been in this situation and I don't want to alienate my current boss, whom I like very much on a personal level (and I feel the feeling is mutual) and for whom I enjoy working overall very much. My idea was to talk to this manager to learn more about the position and then, if it is offered to me, to ask my current boss if we can meet for a coffee during work hours and tell him the situation. The thing is, I'd prefer to keep working in the area in which I'm currently working, but this other position carries more responsibility and garners a slightly higher salary--or so it must, since it's not one but two levels, or titles, above where I currently am. If my current boss could grant me a promotion and similar responsibility I think, based on not yet knowing all the new position entails (I could change my mind after next week), I'd prefer to continue working with him.

I'm not very good at dealing interpersonally with people and having an "agenda." I always feel slimy somehow, and consequently awkward. So what is a good way to handle this? I work in a small satellite office so keeping on good terms with everyone is very important. Advice from those more experienced than I would be appreciated.

Put a proposal together for your boss on what responsibilities you would take on with a promotion - write your own job description.

Back it up with samples of your work, a list of successful projects you've completed, complimentary emails from people who have thanked you for doing a great job on something - anything that would help make your case for being promoted. Make it easy for her to promote you.

Then give her the proposal and schedule a lunch for the two of you to discuss your ideas.

A good manager doesn't hold her people back. If she can't offer you a promotion, then she'll certainly understand why you would move to the other department.

• Author

Thanks NJ. I hadn't thought of writing out my own job description. My current boss knows I want more responsibility and has assured me he's thinking about how to acquiesce. So that's a good start and maybe my being very specific and asking for the increased responsibility in the context of requesting a formal promotion might be sufficient to get him to take action on giving me more projects.

What about the timing of this? The manager who is interviewing me next week said she was "very impressed" with my application, but she'd also told me beforehand that she'd really prefer to fill the position with someone in our headquarters location (I'm in one of the satellite offices), where the rest of her division is located. So it's hard to say what my chances are even assuming our conversation next week goes well.

So...should I wait until I am formally offered the position to talk over the possibility of a promotion with my current boss? Or should I broach the subject after my interview, assuming that upon hearing more about the position I feel pretty sure I'd take it?

Do it in parallel. If you're offered the other job, it will be too late for your boss to rush through any kind of promotion. Tell her at lunch at the same time you discuss your proposal.

It's good that you've had the discussion with your current boss about additional responsibilities. If you've had this discussion awhile ago and he hasn't come up with a solution, you have every right to look elsewhere. No employer is going to resent you for being ambitious, as long as there's no personal animosity towards them.

Be careful about the pressure to your current boss. The last thing you want to do is to make them feel threatened or powerless in any way, by manipulating their compliance to your needs.

I would let this play out on its own. If you're offered the position, have the chat with your current boss so he understands that it's not personal and what your real preference is. If he wants to retain you, he will match or beat the offer.