Searching-for-new-job etiquette

How do you handle being in a full-time job and having interviews for new jobs scheduled during the work day? I don't feel I can tell my employer yet that I'm actively searching, but I wonder how to handle showing up in my small, business-casual satellite office in full interview attire and keeping my activities a secret. Do I tell my boss, "I have an appointment at 2 p.m. today and will have to be gone for 2 hours"? Won't they all see right through that?--and if so, should I just come out and say I'm interviewing?

How do you handle being in a full-time job and having interviews for new jobs scheduled during the work day? I don't feel I can tell my employer yet that I'm actively searching, but I wonder how to handle showing up in my small, business-casual satellite office in full interview attire and keeping my activities a secret. Do I tell my boss, "I have an appointment at 2 p.m. today and will have to be gone for 2 hours"? Won't they all see right through that?--and if so, should I just come out and say I'm interviewing?

NO..do not say anything to your boss and especially your coworkers about searching for a new job. I went on interviews during my lunch hour, before work, after work and each time I never got caght. I would save up my vacation days when I needed to take a full day and would wear black pants but a bring a blazer with me in my bag to put on outside when I had appointments after work. Most places will interview you during your lunch or after work which is when I made most of mine. I also faxed almost all my resumes from my job..it came in handy that I sat around no one and the fax was right by my desk. Always make sure you put a cover sheet first that way they will never see your resume sitting there which I found from a quite a few morons who I worked with. I spent 6 months at my old job actively looking. I would not search on the internet while I was at work though bc they can monitor that but I would make phone calls etc, outside, on my luch break. For me though I hated the job and really didn't care even if I did get caught. But whatever you do..do not tell your coworkers. There is always a mole at every job who will tell your boss and that might give them every push they need to fire you if they don't like your work to begin with.

• Author

Thanks for the help. You brought up one of the reasons I'm asking: vacation days. I haven't taken any of my 2 weeks yet and I want to take one week at the end of this month and save the other week for the holidays. But I guess I should set aside 2 days or so so that I'll be free to schedule interviews if need be.

How did you fit your interviews into your lunch hour? I've never been in an interview that lasted for less than an hour and a half. Add to that the time to get there and back, and that's a 2- to 3-hour lunch!

brainless twit

I have interviewed multiple times with the same agency, and I haven't said anything to anyone at work. I either take a half day off for "an appointment" (which allows me to change clothes) or schedule the interviews before or after work hours. I have flex time, so if I need to leave an hour early, I just come in an hour early that morning.

Thanks for the help. You brought up one of the reasons I'm asking: vacation days. I haven't taken any of my 2 weeks yet and I want to take one week at the end of this month and save the other week for the holidays. But I guess I should set aside 2 days or so so that I'll be free to schedule interviews if need be.

How did you fit your interviews into your lunch hour? I've never been in an interview that lasted for less than an hour and a half. Add to that the time to get there and back, and that's a 2- to 3-hour lunch!

I think I had one interview in my life that lasted even close to an hr. Most of mine lasted half an hr or less and the 2 interviews I did go on during my lunch hr knew I was on my brake so didn't keep me long. I actually got offered one of the jobs but turned it down. Do you get personal days and sick days also? For me I saved eveything so there were probably times I called out sick but usually I scheduled ahead of time.

betterthandead

If anyone from your workplace directly asks you if you're looking for a new job, do not tell them the truth. Even if your sneaky employer states "If you are looking for a job, you must notify us" , ignore that.

It's a human right to seek change.