internship opportunity

so, i just got a note of an internship offer from metromix, and i am wondering what to do about it.

a friend i met at college a couple of years ago is currently working for metromix, an online city guide that is owned by the LA Times/Tribune Co. she had been interning with them for a few months, and she just got hired by them, so they now need someone to fill her (intern) spot, which covers the clubs and bars section.

since they like her work, they asked her to recommend some people to them, and she told me and a few other people. all they asked was that the interested people send in a resume along with a sample of their writing. since i do research/journaling for my current job, i just sent some samples of some articles that i had previously written.

to be honest, i didn't think they'd like my body of work. while the interning opportunity consists of research, fact-checking, and proofing, which is pretty much what i do at my job, the articles i write for this job are pretty boring/bland, so i figured they'd be more interested in the writing samples with more zest in them.

to my surprise, though, they told me they liked it and would like me to personally interview me. from what she told me, they liked my stuff the most. :confused: so . . . she says that if i go to the interview, she is sure i'll get the "job."

in a way, it would be way cool because the writing would be a lot more creative, which is something i'd definitely enjoy. plus, most of the work is completed online, so i'd only have to go in to the office every now and then. the best part of that, though, is that the office is in the LA Times building, so that's pretty awesome.

the downside is that i don't think this is a paid internship, haha. that means that i'd have to still work here and do the internship work, too, which would span from now until january or so. and, of course, there is no guarantee that they'll hire me at the end, anyway, so the only sure-fire thing i'd be getting is experience.

the possibility of someday writing for metromix is pretty cool, though.

i don't know what to do. ahhh. :(

That's so great, WW. And I have no idea why you seem so surprised. How many of us on here have told you how impressed with your writing we are?

Yes, get your foot in the door. You'll have an excellent shot at being hired on. I'm sure of it. I mean you'll be a known quantity and I know you'll prove yourself worthy of being hired on. So why wouldn't they?

You really should go for it. What a great opportunity for you. I hope you take advantage of it.

Well you should definitely try to make the internship work. Even in the worst case scenario of working your current job and the internship and not getting the job at Metromix it's only a 3-month investment for something that will look good on your resume and ultimately help you if/when you interview for another job that involves more creative writing.

I've never had an internship, but I don't think it would hurt your chances to let the interviewer at Metromix know that you can't afford to quit your current job if it's not a paid internship but that you do really want the opportunity. People understand that people have bills to pay. If they want you bad enough they might even be willing to work something out as far as payment.

But if nothing else it certainly can't hurt anything to at least attend the interview and see what they have to say/offer.

Your not me but internships to me are not a bad thing. They can open doors and sometimes give you your big break depending on what field your in.

If all it can do is benefit you then IMO I would try for it. Doesn't mean you'd get hired there but at least you could network.

Congratulations!! That's great news, and a terrific accomplishment for you. Plus, it will be so much fun.

You have to give it a shot. This is one of those 'opportunity is knocking on your door' things...take it and run with it!!

I thought internships were paid? Ask your friend, she'll be able to tell you if she was getting paid or not.

But hey, as everyone said it's a step in the right direction for you. If it fits in with your current job then go for it.