I've been working at a medical establishment for the past 4 months now, and I don't like it. I'm always being watched, the company morale is low at best, and there is such a high turnover rate that it's depressing to work there. You can't make friends with your co-workers because they're likely to leave or get fired. Since I started there 8 people have either quit or been fired. That's an average of 2 people per month. It's high pressure since people's health is at stake, but I think they make the mistake of hiring people who have no experience and training them from the ground up. Although it's a nice way to provide opportunities it's not fair to the patients receiving sub-par care from inexperienced technicians. Also, I only get a half hour for lunch. WTF is up with that?!

So the place where I was previously working called me up recently and said they had a place for me. They offered me more money, more vacation days, more responsibility, a nicer working environment, a longer lunch, and an all around better deal. So I interviewed there yesterday and took the job.

Now I have to give notice to my current employer. To be honest, my supervisor as well as the office manager scare the bejeesus out of me. They aren't the nicest people in the world. I've never had to give notice before. I've previously worked only temporary positions or just cut and run without a good reference because the jobs I used to work were not professional jobs.

So here I sit with onion breath from lunch wondering how to break the news to my current employer. I've been a good employee thusfar. I've trained well and caught on quickly because I'm a relatively intelligent person. So it's weird. What do I do? Who should I talk to? My direct supervisor? She gives me nightmares. The office manager? He's scary too. How much notice do I give? The girl who was hired with me just cut and run without giving notice.

I would write a letter of resignation (google one if you need one) and give it to my immediate supervisor.

Two weeks notice is standard IMO.

Congrats on the new job BO!

I agree with pixie write a letter of resignation and give two weeks. Give a copy to both your dorect supervisor & office maanger.

Congrats BO!

B_O -

Don't be scared of them... At this point they hold nothing you want or need; you have all the good cards in your hand. You have the "FU" factor - at any time, you have a backup plan, so you can say "FU" to them...

Yes, two weeks is customary, but in most cases employment is "at will" on the part of both the employee and the employer. This means that unless you are under a specific contract with other provisions, there is nothing preventing you from walking out the door with no notice, and likewise there is nothing preventing them from terminating your employment with no notice. Most all the "notice" stuff is just courtesy.

This also means that you may hand them your resignation letter (a good way to do it, I agree) offering two weeks notice, and they may choose to "walk you out" that day. So, don't pack up the cardboard boxes just yet, but do be mentally prepared for the possibility that it may end right away. Heck, maybe that would be a good thing, in your case. They do still have to pay you for all the hours you worked; don't let them get away with any shenanigans there...

Be strong, be confident; you are making a great move that will be a benefit to you, and you don't owe anybody any explanations. This is a business decision. If they treat it with any kind of intimidation or that kind of emotion, they are out of line. You glide in there and be a cool, calm professional, no matter what happens.

Good luck!

great news about the job offer – I agree with the others about typing up and handing over a letter of resignation, though I think two weeks is a courtesy gesture, not an actual "must-do" thing.

just be sure to mask the onion breath with mint or something if you're gonna do it today. Unless it's the supervisor you're having to deal with – the onion breath just might come in handy!

good to see you posting again, otter :)

I happen to agree with everyone over top of me :D

Congrats as well...

By the way.. is anything in writing ( a letter of intent to hire ) with the new employer or at least a real done deal?

It would suck if you gave your notice and then they decided to not rehire you..

• Author

Woah, I didn't get anything in writing from my new employer. I just sat down and talked things over with them yesterday and they offered me the job. It's a small business so I doubt they would be that formal. Plus, I temped for them 2 years in a row. They love me there.

All day today the office manager was in a foul mood so I avoided eye contact. He even told me that if I didn't complete such and such a task (something that I'm being trained in currently) that I shouldn't bother coming in tomorrow. Well, truth be told I never did complete the task he told me to do so maybe I shouldn't bother coming in tomorrow, har har har.

I like the idea of writing a letter. I think I'll do that right away! I'll h ave time to post more with my new job. :D

As far as your new job offer - as long as you are sure you have a firm offer from the new place, then you're good. You probably have a good feel for that - in a lot of small businesses, a handshake is probably as solid as something written anyway. Heck, someone could withdraw an employment letter, too... And the fact that you have a significant good history with these guys probably gives you high confidence, too.

For your resignation letter, you can just keep it super simple. Stick to the facts. "I will terminate my employment with <company> effective on <date>" if you would prefer to keep working for a couple weeks. Or, on the other hand, if you would rather leave immediately, but you are willing to give them a couple weeks as a courtesy, you could say, "I wish to terminate my employment effective immediately, but I will offer to stay an additional two weeks, at your option, if that would make a more effective transition."

You don't have to give a reason in your letter - just keep it simple, and stick to the logistical necesseties.

If anyone corners you verbally, you really don't owe them a reason either, but you could just say something like "the opportunities here don't match well with my long-term career goals," or something like that.

OR, the other option is to go complete scorched-earth on them - that could be fun, but I generally advise not burning bridges, even when they are @ssholes, which it definitely sounds like...

It would be kinda cool to have the letter all ready, and I'd almost hope the office manager hassles you about the uncompleted task (and oh, you hope he/she brings up some comment about firing, or "don't bother to come in" - so sweet!) you could just calmly get the letter out and hand it over...

When does the old job become your new job? When do they want you to start?

If I were you, which I'm not because I'm extremely LAZY, I'd give one weeks notice to my current employer, tell your old new employer you need to work two weeks at your other job, and take a week off! :D

BTW...Congratulations!

• Author
As far as your new job offer - as long as you are sure you have a firm offer from the new place, then you're good. You probably have a good feel for that - in a lot of small businesses, a handshake is probably as solid as something written anyway. Heck, someone could withdraw an employment letter, too... And the fact that you have a significant good history with these guys probably gives you high confidence, too.

Well that's a huge relief. As I sit here I'm riddled with anxiety about terminating my employment. It's like contemplating a messy breakup with an over-sensitive partner. I dread the look in the office manager's eyes the look of betrayal, and then anger, and finally vindictiveness.

You don't have to give a reason in your letter - just keep it simple, and stick to the logistical necesseties.

thank you for that. I needed some specifics and I'll probably end up quoting you word for word.

"don't bother to come in" - so sweet!) you could just calmly get the letter out and hand it over...

That would be sweet, and ballsy too. thanks, dude. :)

• Author

So I didn't write the letter. I just faced my fears and talked to the intimidating office manager. I asked him, at the end of the day, to talk to me in private and then I blurted out "I have to give my two weeks notice!" as soon as he closed the door.

Naturally, he asked me why. I said I had a better opportunity at the accounting firm - better pay, more vacation days, and more familiarity. He couldn't argue with me but admitted that I was an asset to the company and that he was sorry to see me go. Then he said that he was definately going to take my two weeks and use me for all I'm worthy while I'm still there.

It was a nice way to end a job. Thanks for all the advice. I figured, in the end, that it would be better for me personally to be forced to face my fear of talking to the authority figure and voicing my needs. I feel empowered because I spoke to him face to face and maintained eye contact. The only thing I did that gave away my anxiety was clasp my hands together in front of me, as if in prayer and supplication. It's a reflex behavior when I'm around a powerful authority figure.

All in all it went better than I expected. I called and told my new job that I can start on October 15. My new supervisor is a friend of mine, and we talked about how exciting this is. I'm so happy! Thanks for all the advice.

Just for future reference, if you have a boss that you feel that way, or there's the risk of them trying to jeopardize your new job, don't tell them the company.

If your boss decided to make you stay on, they could phone this new company and give you a really bad rep.

But hey sounds like it all went well. congrats on the new job!