Obligated to buy coworkers gifts

To make a long story short I don't fit in with my coworkers at all, and I am sure they feel the same way as me. I am civil though and say hello, goodbye, make small talk when I past by their cube which is more than I can say for some of them. When they need something they talk to me :). So a few times people have decieded to buy a cake for someone's bday. A few times even trying to get much more money then was needed and pocketing the rest lol. Of course to be nice I have chipped in. Today I get an email from a coworker only addressed to me and 2 other people which was odd, telling me it was so and sos bday.Now she is friends with him. One of them replyed saying oh are we gonna get a cake and noone asnwered. Was the email a hint to me lol? So you would think hey this is her buddy her of all people should be getting him something. So later on I wished the person a happy bday. The other secretary, who is a total phoney and kiss hiney and trying to move up the ladder of course, on occassion ,has bought in cakes and made it known it was HER idea..talk about 16 yr olds. So she ended up buying him a cake. I asked her, since I was unaware she voulntered, if she wanted money and she said no. Then the rest of the time she stood there whispering. Another time somone had brought in food and actually walked over to me notifying me of it and if I can hand it out? I forgot I am just the lil old asst so it is below them to cut something. I have no problem doing nice things but were they expecting me to shell out 50 for a cake...I mean me the person they don't speak too lol. Am I wrong here?

silly, childish birthday stuff at work.

Some people from my work do that.. but they know I don't ... I don't participate in anything that has to do with bds...

This is sooo stupid... me and another guy do not participate...

They know where I stand... We're not in kindergarten... we're adults for pete's sake.

So, if you think it is silly ...just say no... simple.

I never do stuff that I don't want to do just to please others... especially at work...

• Author
silly, childish birthday stuff at work.

Some people from my work do that.. but they know I don't ... I don't participate in anything that has to do with bds...

This is sooo stupid... me and another guy do not participate...

They know where I stand... We're not in kindergarten... we're adults for pete's sake.

So, if you think it is silly ...just say no... simple.

I never do stuff that I don't want to do just to please others... especially at work...

exactly, and any other time I have volunterally given money..but sending me a personal email about it lol.

Most places I have worked the company provides some kind of birthday festivity, probably to avoid all that nonsense plus the hurt feelings that go along with being left out. If possible you might make a suggestion to the office manager about possibly doing an office cake once a month for all the january birthdays, for example.

Usually if I don't want to do something like that I just ignore the emails asking me to buy things for people I barely know. I think you should make a practice of not eating any birthday cake for the time being. If the birthday person is someone you want to acknowledge, fill out a little card and give it to them personally, reply to the email saying that you've gotten them something already.

• Author
Most places I have worked the company provides some kind of birthday festivity, probably to avoid all that nonsense plus the hurt feelings that go along with being left out. If possible you might make a suggestion to the office manager about possibly doing an office cake once a month for all the january birthdays, for example.

Usually if I don't want to do something like that I just ignore the emails asking me to buy things for people I barely know. I think you should make a practice of not eating any birthday cake for the time being. If the birthday person is someone you want to acknowledge, fill out a little card and give it to them personally, reply to the email saying that you've gotten them something already.

very trueeee

What you could do is ask the person who sent the email what they are doing for this persons bday and to let you know how much you need.

And I disagree with the other poster about celebrating someone's bday being for children. A bday celebration is an excuse for the office to get together and have a small social gathering. Where I work the staff member usually brings in some food and everyone joins them. That way there's no office politics such as what happened with you.

$50 for a cake?!! Isn't it cheaper to make one? Next time they ask for cash, offer to bake a cake instead, I bet they back off! Isn't it the gesture that counts? Therefore a bag of cookies or a small card would be just as good as a cake.

In most of my previous jobs, its the person who is having a birthday who brings in the food!

I think its stupid if you are being drawn into it if you don't want anything to do with it.