Getting a boss to pay for an expensive conference?

I desperately want to attend a very comprehensive, informative and EXPENSIVE weekend-long conference directly relevant to the area of law I practice. I want my initial request to be incredibly persuasive to my frugal boss. How do I do this?

Pretty please with a cherry on top ?????:cool:

No clue SG, I've always been self employed, and I'm more frugal with MYSELF than anyone !

I'm sure the career sites, would tell you to write up a persuasive proposal telling him how it will benefit HIS firm, and end up bringing more business, and most importantly MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GOOD LUCK ! ( and take me with you !)

Cost justify it SG. All the things you can bring to the table which the company doesn't currently have the internal skills or knowledge to do/handle.

Will the knowledge you gain help you obtain and retain new business?

An appeal that explains what he gets out of it is your best bet.

• Author
The fact that you have to ask says a lot about your eligibility to go to said conference.

EXCUSE ME? In a 5-person firm, I highly doubt it would be appropriate for me to go spend THOUSANDS of dollars on the firm's dime and simply drop the bill on their desk without asking first.

And asking I did. I'm going! YAY! I'm very excited about the spa at the resort...hehehehehe.

You misunderstand (another example of your lack of eligibility to go?).

The fact you have to ask here, at Loveshack, how to ask your boss something, says an awful lot about your lack of ability and therefore, eligibility to attend an important conference. In my opinion.

Congrats on getting the approval.

Vaguelette, your opinion is pretty pointless. What she did was called planning and preparation, which are key requirements to any business. Better to get advice from somewhere than to simply type up a proposal and hope to hell she gets it right.

Congrats again!

• Author
You misunderstand (another example of your lack of eligibility to go?).

The fact you have to ask here, at Loveshack, how to ask your boss something, says an awful lot about your lack of ability and therefore, eligibility to attend an important conference. In my opinion.

So by your logic, I should assume that you're socially inept then? And that every poster here on LS is ineligible of finding happy, healthy, long-term relationship?

Was I just handed out an indirect insult or was I just handed out an indirect insult? But, hey, wait a minute, you are a poster here too. So what does that say about you?

Anyway, good luck, SG.

So by your logic, I should assume that you're socially inept then? And that every poster here on LS is ineligible of finding happy, healthy, long-term relationship?

I don't ask questions of the posters here, nor would I. Therefore your assumption is completely flawed. Yet another example of your incompetence.

Was I just handed out an indirect insult or was I just handed out an indirect insult? But, hey, wait a minute, you are a poster here too. So what does that say about you?

Anyway, good luck, SG.

Oh dear.

I was addressing 'Star Gazer'.

I was addressing 'Star Gazer'.

Actually, you are insulting a friend, and apparently accomplishing little else. Please, either contribute something productive or go back to reading the mail. Not posting is always an option.

SG: Good luck, have fun. Out of curiosity did you just ask straight out verbally, did you lay out a cost/benefit argument, or what?