Management SUCKS!!!

I've so had it with upper level management douche bags. I work in a small company (approx 50 people). We've not had a good year so far in regards to sales, and money is tight. A few pay cuts have been made, people have been asked to take voluntary unpaid vacation days, and the budget for our annual big summer picnic was severely slashed.

AND YET, management has hired a number of consultants :sick: to come in and muck with things. I'm not a fan of consultants to begin with, and now its even worse because I've found out how much their getting paid. It's obscene! One of these consultants will be making more than 3 times my salary in six months time here, and they don't even come in more than a handful of times a month! One month of payment to this person is nearly 10 times the picnic budget we got for 50ppl and families. In fact, given this figure, paying all the consultants that we're using now will likely result in more than 25% of our sales deficit in the first place! WTF? HOW IS THAT A GOOD IDEA?!!!

And all along our CEO touts a "family" atmosphere, working closely together, blah blah blah, yet spends a fortune on total strangers to say how to run our company, and does any number of other secretive stuff (which a snoop co-worker always fills me in on).

Ironically, nearly everyone here can the see the biggest obstacle to the company is the upper management itself. Maybe I should tell them that, then invoice them 10k for it. :mad:

Enjoy your tenure in the middle-management baloney sandwich. Executive management can be like this too, if you're a public company.

And you wonder why I started my own consulting business? :laugh:

• Author

It's total crap.

To have a stranger come in and tell you what to do w/o any knowledge of your company dynamics? One point these consultants were exploring was whether or not to keep a certain managerial position. Fortunately, they found out pretty quick that the whole dept under that manager was extremely loyal and it would be a BAD thing to remove that person.

So far the largest accomplishment these highly paid consultants have managed to do is create an atmosphere of annoyance and resentment. Good moves, management!

The concept of hiring a consultant is to provide third-party unbiased eyes, with a view to cost reduction, streamlining existing processes or new lines of business. Most importantly, after it's over and done with, has the bottomline on the expense side been reduced or the profit side been increased.

Also, if you consider a budget, full-time employees fall under a different category than temporary, contract employees and consultants. It's a way to get the work done without hiring, therefore exceeding their budget.

We got a visit from our upper management today and they announced they're closing down our whole department. 72 people will be made redundant over the next six months.

It's a kick in the gut :mad:

• Author
We got a visit from our upper management today and they announced they're closing down our whole department. 72 people will be made redundant over the next six months.

It's a kick in the gut :mad:

It's a good thing you get huge severance benefits.... oops, wait, that's something for management. :rolleyes:

• Author
Haha...you'd be surprised at how directed a third-party unbiased view can be... That is all. ;)

Yeah, it's directed employee morale right out the front door so far...

I get consultants can be beneficial, but in this case its been nothing but asinine.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you know the consultants haven't made improvements? Consultants are actually really useful because they don't know the business. Third-eyes as someone said.

I work in a large organisation and part of it went through a similar thing. Certain assets were sold to external companies, and other changes.

I get that you're upset by it, but it sounds like it's either that or the management start hacking at jobs to cut costs. The consultants will look at 'all' aspects of the business not just start firing a whole swag of people.