Female work-a-holic wanting a fair shake!

I am back, and in need of advice.

Been throwing myself into my job quite some time now. I have made major strides with our software by upgrading, researching and teaching myself the roaps.

With my hard work, dedication and overtime, I have standardized our process to save money and to be prepared if we were ever audited.

I have been with this company for 4 years, with 2 years in this particular position. In the last 4 months, I have gone above and beyond what was asked of me. Pretty much adding another title to my position, because that position never existed before.

My boss always tells me how "awesome" I am, and how impressed he is.

I can't even explain to him the kind of work I'm doing, because when I try to explain, it goes over his head.

My problem is when I ask him for a raise (3 times now), he'll just tells me that it's not in the budget. I have not had a raise in 2 years. Not even a cost of living increase.

Yes, I chose this job, and I know that if I am not happy, I should find another. But my male coworkers get paid a lot more than me. A LOT more. So, I know the money is there!

A couple weeks ago, a coworker walked-out and left us hanging. My boss was desperate and in a pinch. The new guy that was hired knew this. So, now I get to hear how the boss "is making it worth his while" to work here.

Wha? What about us loyal workers that have been working our asses off?! Sorry, just a bit pissed off, and resentful.

I've been at this company long enough to know that the only ones that get raises are "boss favorites", "aggressive negotiators", or "threaten to quit-ers".

I deserve this raise, but do I have to threaten to quit to get it???

Welcome back Luv.:)

Sounds to me like you are overdue for a raise. You have voiced your concerns and nothing and you and I both know that the money is there. To me it looks like he is taking advantage of you. As long as you stay there and work your as$ off, he will not give you that raise. Perhaps the grass is greener on the other side and I think that you should head that way. Work for someone who will appreciate your hard work and pay you for it.

...But my male coworkers get paid a lot more than me. A LOT more. So, I know the money is there!...I deserve this raise, but do I have to threaten to quit to get it???

If this is true and they are doing the same job then this is discrimination and you should consult a lawyer.

Have you spoken to any recruitment agents about what your value is on the market and available job opportunities? Its usually wiser to have a several options and hard contacts to use when bargaining over a salary, rather than simply threatening to quit.

What makes you think "the money is there"? Have you seen their monthly and yearly Profit & Loss statements for the past 4 years?

Do you and your co-workers who are being paid more have identical job descriptions and responsibilities?

Pull some research together showing how much your job is worth in the marketplace, and then send the raise request to your boss and HR using the research material - email it, as well as asking in person. You want documentation, especially the kind your boss can take to HIS management to make a case for increasing your salary.

Alternately, you can ask for a bonus. Sometimes, if the money isn't budgeted for a raise, they might be able to pull from a bonus pool and give you cash that way. And you can also negotiate extra vacation time, have them pay for your public transportation or parking, or other benefits.

And then, of course, looking for another job is really your only other option if they won't consider a raise or bonus.

If you work for someone else, you do the minimum that they ask of you and that's it. Red flags should have gone up when you asked for the first raise and you didn't get it. I was like you but then I got common sense and all is better now.

• Author

Thanks for everyone's advice! All very good points. There's so much to the story, and it would be impossible for me to explain every little detail. So, I will apply your advice where needed. :)

This happened to me. ALMOST EVERYWHERE I HAVE WORKED! You would not believe some of the insane treament I have endured, hoping someone would finally see how much I was dedicated to going above and beyond in adding value to the company. Finally I added smarts to my intelligence. Now, unless the price is right and the fellas want to pay me like the big boys, I never plan on staying at a company more than 2-3 years. No matter how much I like them as people. You have to understand the game, even if you don't want to play. Find a website that caters to your industry and subscribe to it. NEVER unsubscribe. Don't take too long to understand whether or not they value you the same as they do the men. When it is clear that they won't pay you what you are worth, start tossing your resume. If you want to barter once you get a sound offer, that is up to you. Stay if it is worth it, leave if it is not. If you have to go through this scenario more than once, pack your bags. You don't want to get a reputation for threatening to quit when you don't get what you want. It eats away at your credibility. I wish I had learned this earlier, but I did not recognize my value until I walked off a job with my supervisor behind me begging me to stay. I still left and never looked back. I could write a book on this crap.

• Author

With all the improvements that I've been making for the company, I feel more confident in my ability. My self-esteem is improving. I see now, that I deserve better than what I am getting.

The reality of situation is that I DO have options. Many companies out there that would hire a go-getter like myself.

I agree, my boss is taking advantage of me. But, only because I am allowing it to happen. It's my choice. I didn't believe in myself or my worth to the company, until now.

It's time that I stick up for myself, and quit settling for less. Yes, the company has had financial difficulties for years...but, an extra $100+ dollars on my pay check will not be the end-all to the company.

If money is such a problem, then maybe he should cut spending in other areas that would be more appropriate. Spending that includes a yearly country club golf membership. Hello!! That is not a necessity. But, paying a valuable worker what she is worth is!

Enough is enough. Monday I am going to ask for a raise for the last time. I am going to hold my head up high, put my shoulders back, and in a confident, professional manner tell him what I am worth to the company.

If anything, he will see my strength & admire my believe in myself.

If he doesn't, then I will look for employment elsewhere, and he will lose me.

But, he should look at the bright side. He's always got golf!! :rolleyes:

It doesn't hurt to build a dollars and cents case for your improvements vs your current salary vs market rates. Most managers have budgets but there's always room for employee retention increases and incentives.

• Author

I got the raise!! His figure was too low, mine was too high. We landed on middle ground. When I left his office, I felt a little guilty. He seemed so concerned about not being able to afford to give me a raise. But, not 2 hours later, he came into my office talking about forking some money over to get a brand new, top of the line copier machine. Kinda pissed me off a bit. My guilt went out the window after that!