ok so i was recently hired by the government and work in the court system in my state. I have only been there since May but because alot of older long term workers have retired I have moved up quickly. The boss's always tell me about how good of a worker I am and how quick i learn and i think they take advantage of that a little bit. Anyways the problem involves the guy who was hired to take over my original position. He drives me nuts but the boss's like him so i keep quiet about it. To his credit he didn't get much training because we really needed someone to fill the position as quickly as possible. However, I have always been happy to answer his questions, yet he always seems a little irritated by me when i try to explain soemthing to him. Some things I explain to him over and over again and it takes him 5 and 6 times to finally get it down. It might be because i am only 24 and he is in his 50s but he just recently moved here from the phillipines so he had to start over from the bottom pretty much. Anyways, he makes numerous mistakes, many of which i simply fix for him because he is hard to communicate with.

Anyways i am moving jobs soon and won't be working directly with him anymore so I am not too worried. The problem is that he got one of his friends hired to replace him and I will be sitting in a cube next to him. Not only does he speak limited english ( he is from the philipines as well) but he whistles all the time and I have to sit in the cube right next to his. I know that part of me is bothered by him because i assume he will act the same way his friend did, but more importantly the whistling drives me nuts!! I know it isn't a really big deal and i don't want to mention anything about it and seem silly but who whistles at work? Also, he is being trained by the other guy and i feel like he is passing his bad habits on to him. They are both always late for everything (perhaps a cultural thing?) and both act only mildly interested when i attempt to explain things to them. I have always been told i am really easy to get along with but i think my problem is that i cant stand when people dont do their jobs correctly. I have never acted anything but friendly to both of them but i guess it just bothers me that they create extra work for me because they don't do their own jobs. Plus the whistling drives me nuts and maybe im crazy but doesn't everyone know its rude to whistle at work? We don't even have real offices just cubes so its sooo loud.

Anyways im sorry if i rambled a bit its just these two guys are driving me nuts and i dont want to come across as a problem by complaining to my bosses but at the same time i know they are not completing their work correctly and the whistling drives me nuts. I dont want to cause drama but they really stress me out.....any ideas?

Did they work at the govt. previously?

As for the whistling.....oh my goodness, I pity you. That is always a fear of mine is getting put next to annoying people like that. Gum poppers are just as bad. So are hummers.

Thank goodness I have an actual office now....with a door! But I really don't have annoying coworkers anyway so I don't need to close it...but at least I have the option.

I had a hummer and the only solution I could come up with was to wear headphones and play cd's. Ok, so I probably ruined my hearing with the volume turned up loud but at least I didn't have to hear the darned humming!

What bothers me the most about people who do these things is their lack of awareness and concern that their behavior would have on other people who are trying to work. This tells me a lot about the person.