Co worker threatens to shoot us...

I am on vacation right now but something has bothered me and my co ~workers and I discussed this with a friend last night :

We have a coworker who has a bad temper and anger issues . He is on many medications ( one of which is steroids for his breathing problem ~ I think thats the reason he takes it ) He is on multiple medications.

He used to be very friendly and I liked him. Then he was angry about his neglectful wife ( very angry ) and he ended up dividing the marital assets and now the neglectful wife is gone. He now has a new gf.

But in the last six months he has gotten very angry and is insubordinate to his supervisor. If you do something just so wrong and say something he does not like he gets a red face and usually shoves something over or bangs the table.

He has said ( within hearing range but not directly to me , more a mumbled response when he is pissed , which is every day now many times a day ) that he just feels like bringing a gun in our workplace and shooting a bunch of *** holes that work here . He has many weapons at home. He knows how to use them and is proficient at hunting and also understands ways to hurt people to disable them .

He used to be a good friend then he changed. Now I don't engage in conversations with him because sooner or later he will pick apart what I say or get pissed off .

He rather talks to me and I try to remain polite.

My co~worker and I expressed concern because we have both heard him say this. We talked about it and wonder what is the best course of action ?

Remain anonymous and report him to HR ? We say this because if you can imagine if we told ( and he knew we told ) and had our names used and something happened to his job,....he might come back and be really really angry.

I think telling our immediate supervisor is useless because they have long since ducked any confrontations or matters and usually we have to go to HR for any serious issues.

Anyone have the best solution ? We fear for our safety because we BELIEVE that he might get so angry he loses control. He behavior has detoriated to the point where no~one is talking to him anymore.

whichwayisup
He has said ( within hearing range but not directly to me , more a mumbled response when he is pissed , which is every day now many times a day ) that he just feels like bringing a gun in our workplace and shooting a bunch of *** holes that work here . He has many weapons at home. He knows how to use them and is proficient at hunting and also understands ways to hurt people to disable them .

Yes, report him to your boss or do it annon to HR.

Him even muttering it outloud, loud enough for you or anyone else to hear, IS a cry for help. He sounds like a person who could snap anytime due to emotional stress and ofcourse the steroids can make people do weird things, especially if he has an anger problem to begin with.

Angelina Nisse
He behavior has detoriated to the point where no~one is talking to him anymore.

I don't blame you for being worried, but something is very wrong, when someone like this is allowed to stay on the job with these kinds of issues. If he is this unreasonable, how the heck is he even working with other people - he should have been fired.

I don't know what you should do, but I would be out of these as soon as I could, I can tell you that much.

• Author
I don't blame you for being worried, but something is very wrong, when someone like this is allowed to stay on the job with these kinds of issues. If he is this unreasonable, how the heck is he even working with other people - he should have been fired.

I don't know what you should do, but I would be out of these as soon as I could, I can tell you that much.

Well unlike most really unfriendly employees : he goes from hot to cold.~~ He can be very friendly ( ~but nobody trusts him when he's in a good mood anymore because the storm clouds come back in sooner or later ~ie ; his moodiness ~)

So because he can be nice and that gets confusing....we NOW have to more focus on now to report the next anger attack or threat .

That night I was around the corner and heard a loud crash. I looked over and he had pushed over a 100 lb. speed rack which is what you carry the food on onto the floor on its side. I viewed the cart right there on the floor and he returned later after his tantrum and he had to pick it back up.

Extremely chidlish behavior. He has earned the nick name * Crybaby * but no~one says that to his face.

He's 35 and lives with him Mom.

• Author
get a new job M3

Thanks Alpha :) Why should I leave ? We got a great new pay raise and benefits package...

Shouldn't HE leave ?:bunny:

whichwayisup
Well unlike most really unfriendly employees : he goes from hot to cold.~~ He can be very friendly ( ~but nobody trusts him when he's in a good mood anymore because the storm clouds come back in sooner or later ~ie ; his moodiness ~)

So because he can be nice and that gets confusing....we NOW have to more focus on now to report the next anger attack or threat .

That night I was around the corner and heard a loud crash. I looked over and he had pushed over a 100 lb. speed rack which is what you carry the food on onto the floor on its side. I viewed the cart right there on the floor and he returned later after his tantrum and he had to pick it back up.

Extremely chidlish behavior. He has earned the nick name * Crybaby * but no~one says that to his face.

He's 35 and lives with him Mom.

I'm shocked that your employers haven't talked to him about his anger issues and sent him to anger management classes. His unprofessionalism and attitude at work is obvious!

I wonder if he is bipolar? Maybe instead of going to HR, talk to your boss and tell him/her that you're concerned. Let them know all that you've heard and out of concern - Definately mention the bipolar. Maybe that is why he's living at home? Never know what goes on behind closed doors.

• Author
I'm shocked that your employers haven't talked to him about his anger issues and sent him to anger management classes. His unprofessionalism and attitude at work is obvious!

I wonder if he is bipolar? Maybe instead of going to HR, talk to your boss and tell him/her that you're concerned. Let them know all that you've heard and out of concern - Definately mention the bipolar. Maybe that is why he's living at home? Never know what goes on behind closed doors.

He goes off on them and they are ALL p***ies in dealing with him as they are with all other disruptive employees...~Thats why the morale is so low there and people are disatisfied.

The raise helps and everyone needs their job.

I am single and just bought a place so I feel that you have good advice to talk to our immediate supervisor but I think they will discount it and sweep it under the rug because we have another girl who is a nut case and they can't deal with her either...

I guess document document document.....that way if something does happen the employer will be held liable for not doing anything at all....Thats why I suggested HR Direct...

maybe the police, or mental Insitution, Someone needs to be notified before inocent people get killed, including yourself, pay raise or no pay raise, It amazes me how people wait until its too late, just like the Virginia Tech situation, nobody made a move, now all those kids are dead. Please get help!!!! Now!!

Thanks Alpha :) Why should I leave ? We got a great new pay raise and benefits package...

everything comes with a price M3 :)

At least start looking for alternative employment. Who knows maybe there is something even better out there.

I would feel better reporting this situation upon my exit from it.

Scary stuff.

At least start looking for alternative employment. Who knows maybe there is something even better out there.

its always a good idea to always have an up to date resume and apply for jobs even if you're happy where you're at. you'll get interview experience in and you may get a better offer. in addition, you can always decline job offers...:bunny::cool::):p:laugh::D:lmao:

nittygritty

I agree with Mino, I think you and some other co workers should go to the police about his threatening to bring a gun to work and shoot people. Also, report it to HR and whoever is in charge at the company.

If the company is aware that the guy is being treated for a medical condition they can't fire him without risking a lawsuit. Unless, you and other co workers make the company aware by reporting his threatening to bring a gun to work and shoot people than they aren't liable if anything happens. People's lives and safety are at risk, someone needs to report this.

I would try to get at least 2 or three people to report it. I would also get my resume together and start looking for other employment if nothing happens.

Trialbyfire

I would also take this seriously. Most people don't mutter about bringing in a gun to work. This guy is obviously going through some pretty bad times which he hasn't dealt with, with his past marriage. He needs help.

I would report him to HR.

Sweet Chestnut

You do not have to change job, it will be unfair for you and wrong.

I think that you should notify your supervisors and talk to the board of the firm you are in and tell them about your worries and have them to handle that case.

Maybe even talk to him directly, in the work place or make a rdv outside at lunch, and tell him you are really worried about his saying and agressiv attitude, and that if it comes from medication he should work this out with his doctor as soon as possible.

Depending on how well oyu are with him, chose the best possibility and if the gentle one doesnt work use the other one.

He cant be alowed to say such things many times to others at the working place.

You have to tell your fears to people in charge there.

I hope you will found a resolution very soon

What a scary situation. it does sound like the guy needs some treatment. his mood swings do suggest he could be bipolar. in most cases they respond very well to drug therapy.

He may also have a drug problem. I knew people that abused cocaine and they act very much like that.

• Author
maybe the police, or mental Insitution, Someone needs to be notified before inocent people get killed, including yourself, pay raise or no pay raise, It amazes me how people wait until its too late, just like the Virginia Tech situation, nobody made a move, now all those kids are dead. Please get help!!!! Now!!

Thank you Mino. I will return to work and talk to my co worker and see if she will go with me to get help in HR. I realize with the VT incident that most ppl who threaten to do this to a large group of people often carry it out...

In his case he can't stop the medications and I think they have strongly altered his brain chemistry.

• Author
everything comes with a price M3 :)

Yes Alpha and you were spot on when you said look for other employment. Maybe a department transfer ? :)

• Author
I agree with Mino, I think you and some other co workers should go to the police about his threatening to bring a gun to work and shoot people. Also, report it to HR and whoever is in charge at the company.

If the company is aware that the guy is being treated for a medical condition they can't fire him without risking a lawsuit. Unless, you and other co workers make the company aware by reporting his threatening to bring a gun to work and shoot people than they aren't liable if anything happens. People's lives and safety are at risk, someone needs to report this.

I would try to get at least 2 or three people to report it. I would also get my resume together and start looking for other employment if nothing happens.

I think this is a great idea to ask my co~worker and any others who have overheard him saying this to come forward and help report this. The worse thing that can happen is that he realizes he needs help and maybe get his medication altered..

But he is covered under the FMLA which he calls in sick alot ( and admits sometimes that he wasn't really sick ) so he can call in and not face the same demerits we will receive for doing the same. He has a medical condition which gives him on~going FMLA protection which he admits to abusing...

So I wonder if he can use that to try and secure the job ?

• Author
I would also take this seriously. Most people don't mutter about bringing in a gun to work. This guy is obviously going through some pretty bad times which he hasn't dealt with, with his past marriage. He needs help.

I would report him to HR.

You are dead on correct . I have never in my entire employment career heard someone say they were bringing in a gun someday.. and always had anger problems .

He went from an extremely neglectful wife ( in all ways including sexual for years ) to getting this great girl...

You think he would appreciate his life more now with a great girl , and he even lives with his mommy . What does he have to complain about ? ( maybe mommy , lol )

I always feel the anger is because of what she did to him ... He was even nice to the ex in dividing up the dishes and silverware. I asked why he was soooo nice to someone who neglected him so badly....go figure....?

Passive Aggressive ?:confused:

All of us are just speculating on why this guy has changed. it could be the meds he is on it could be he has bipolar disorder. or he maybe in fact schizophrenic. it could also be something likea brain tumor. the thing is the guy needs to be reported and helped.

He has said ( within hearing range but not directly to me , more a mumbled response when he is pissed , which is every day now many times a day ) that he just feels like bringing a gun in our workplace and shooting a bunch of *** holes that work here .

This is a felony in my state. Just saying it - it's a felony.

• Author
All of us are just speculating on why this guy has changed. it could be the meds he is on it could be he has bipolar disorder. or he maybe in fact schizophrenic. it could also be something likea brain tumor. the thing is the guy needs to be reported and helped.

I wonder too about bi~polar . He does need a professional diagnosis .

• Author
This is a felony in my state. Just saying it - it's a felony.

Thank you. I just wonder how the employer will handle this person and if we can feel like our words are taken seriously. ..