Might get fired from work

Hey. I'm 17 and have been working at AppleBee's for about 9 months. I turn 18 this sunday and was going to be promoted to a Waiter. I misread the schedule (first time this has ever happend). I thought I was in at 4, but I was apparently supposed to be in at 12. The managers sounded very angry and said to come in early tomorrow so we can have a "meeting". I hope I don't get fired and I don't think I'm going to get promoted now. The thing is whenver they call me in into work and I'm not working, I come in no problem. Should I just say I take full responisiblity for not showing, and it is my fault, I will write down myu schedule from now on? I called in at 2 and asked if I was in at 4 or 5, the bartender was psised because she had to do my job and hers while she was training. They told me not to come in.. What should I do?

Just go in early and own up to the mistake. Managers generally don't want to fire people unless they have to because then they have to take the time and money to find someone else and train them. If you're a decent employee overall they'll most likely just give you a warning.

Hey. I'm 17 and have been working at AppleBee's for about 9 months. I turn 18 this sunday and was going to be promoted to a Waiter. I misread the schedule (first time this has ever happend). I thought I was in at 4, but I was apparently supposed to be in at 12. The managers sounded very angry and said to come in early tomorrow so we can have a "meeting". I hope I don't get fired and I don't think I'm going to get promoted now. The thing is whenver they call me in into work and I'm not working, I come in no problem. Should I just say I take full responisiblity for not showing, and it is my fault, I will write down myu schedule from now on? I called in at 2 and asked if I was in at 4 or 5, the bartender was psised because she had to do my job and hers while she was training. They told me not to come in.. What should I do?

Ditto what Tanbark said: admit fault, apologize and don't let it happen again.

Everybody makes mistakes, and at some point in our lives or another, a lot of us end up getting our schedules mixed up. It shouldn't happen, there's no excuse for it, but it happens.

If your manager wanted to fire you he probably would have told you over the phone and asked you not to come in, so I doubt you're getting fired. He *will* likely take this opportunity to make it absolutely clear that this can't be tolerated and that repeated violations will result in your dismissal. He'll probably go over some things that will help you remember your schedule from now on, like taking a copy of it and posting it somewhere so you don't forget. Just nod your head, go along with it, and learn from the mistake.

Just go to your meeting in the morning and face the music. You have to understand employers have a business to run and they don't need excuses from employees who read the schedule wrong. They make those schedules because they need people to staff their operations during certain hours.

I promise you, they've heard every excuse and they don't care that you misread the schedule. Apologize for your mistake, take the blame for it, and give your word you won't ever misread your schedule again...even if you're working somewhere else. We all have to learn lessons and, I promise you, this will NOT be the last time in your life you miss important times.

When you attend your meeting, you should be able to ask for the proper number to phone and ask schedule update.

Yes face the "music" Owning up to a mistake and NOT making excuses ie not calling blame to another employee should stand for something.

Rave about the company and give it a good rating in being a great place to work.

Good Luck

I would look at this as an opportunity than something to dread.

I mean, you are obviously a good employee because you are concerened.

Now you can prove to your boss that

1) You own up to your mistakes

2) You are honest (you had better be honest at the meeting. Own it to exactly what you did wrong,no more, no less)

3) Show genuine concern.

Employers really treasure honest employees.

No employer should expect their employees to never make a mistake: if he does, he is not a good employer

4) Submit a solution to solve the problem in the future so it doesnt happen again. Doesnt have to be perfect, but it shows you are trying.

Hey, dont forget: If your boss really hangs this over your head, you probably dont want to work there anyway.