Co-workers and rumors

Dookie_Dont

I had worked at a job like this before where people constantly said crap about one another, and that was like 80 employees! Now I work with a bunch of elderly guys who have nothing more to do than sit around and talk about everybody.

If somebody gets up from the break room table, I swear they will instantly start talking bad things. And in general most of the people there aren't bad! But the fact that they do this is just irritating. I could careless about what they would say about me, if anything.

But how stupid and immature is that? They are in there 60's and I'm in my 20's, I'm the youngest guy there. And I won't stoop to that, but I guess they just have nothing better to do than to try to talk ****, and pry into my life.

I don't like people bringing up personal issues, habits, or judging anything. If somebody wants to sit around the house alot more than somebody else its like wtf! is there something wrong with that? Ah I hate people who pry, especially rumor prying people.

How do you combat rumors, other than being passive?

I had worked at a job like this before where people constantly said crap about one another, and that was like 80 employees! Now I work with a bunch of elderly guys who have nothing more to do than sit around and talk about everybody.

If somebody gets up from the break room table, I swear they will instantly start talking bad things. And in general most of the people there aren't bad! But the fact that they do this is just irritating. I could careless about what they would say about me, if anything.

But how stupid and immature is that? They are in there 60's and I'm in my 20's, I'm the youngest guy there. And I won't stoop to that, but I guess they just have nothing better to do than to try to talk ****, and pry into my life.

I don't like people bringing up personal issues, habits, or judging anything. If somebody wants to sit around the house alot more than somebody else its like wtf! is there something wrong with that? Ah I hate people who pry, especially rumor prying people.

How do you combat rumors, other than being passive?

Take my advice and find another job asap. That is called a toxic work env't. I had a job like that also where all everyone did was gossip, shyt talk and spread rumors. I pretty much hated all the people that worked there bc of the fact that they were 2 faced and I kept to myself. Well that even annoyed them more and I constantly got oh the "why are u so quitt"..guess it didn't click it that maybe I didn't like them. I then got labled as "Stuck up" from a few folks .of course I would over hear this being said behind my back..bc I didn't gossip and talk about people..go figure this place was called a workplace. I finally got out of there but it taught me bascially tonot to trust co workers bc many are 2 faced. At my new job now I'm sure I get talked about but we have no lunch room so I don't have to worry about lunch breaks and I sit pretty much away from everyone. That's kinda sad that these 60 year old men sound like 17 yr old catty girls.

• Author
Dookie_Dont

It really is dude, but I drive so I'm on the road for a long time. But when I get back or if I don't get out on a trip its like complete hell. Its hard to avoid it sometimes, and the boss will TALK about things that go on there that should be behind the scenes! Sometimes they'll say they should fire us all, or whatever it is. I mean its a Human Resources nightmare. They aboslutely don't care about employees as long as they don't catch any ****.

And considering where I work, which I can't reveal for security for my sake - it is very dangerous. If somethings goes wrong it could really mess up and show up on your television.

Some of them act like complete children, and will actually flip out on your bipolar style. Some employees don't have to do crap, while people who work hard do everything and get treated worse than the people who don't do anything!

AH [/rant]

Its so hard to find another job, I've looked at a couple and turned them down. I'd love to get another one. Man I try to look over it, but it burns me out ya know? I can't stand that kind of attitude among people. Its just not me.

I've been caught up in the rumour mill in the past in previous jobs. I've learned through experience not to get invovled and also how not to become a target.Now I work in a job I love, and generally speaking there's not a lot of bitchyness or rumour-starting that goes on there. It still does happen though.

Firstly, accept the fact that people are always going to be like this to an extent. And admit it, you're probably not above it yourself at times!

Secondly, make a committment to yourself not to get involved in stuff like this at work. Resist any urges you have to either start, or perpetuate rumours, no matter how harmless or justifiable you think your actions may be. And make it know to others that you don't tolerate mindless gossip. Don't be all holier-than-thou, but if some starts gossip, just listen for a few minutes and change the subject in a very obvious manner. People will soon realise that you have better things to think about.

Thirdly, make sure that you're someone who can keep a secret, at all costs. If someone tells you something they request you keep confidential, or you feel it's something that shouldn't be discussed with others at work, then keep your mouth shut. Similarly, don't go prying for personal stuff about co-workers, unless they offer it to you.

Lastly, focus on being the best employee you can be by dressing well, speaking well, helping your co-workers and performing at a high level. If people respect you for this, then it's less likely you'll become a target. Even if you do have rumours started about you, just shrug them off and make it clear that you really don't care, and nor should others, because at the end of the day you do your job better than them. At the end of the day, that's what counts and that's what everyone remembers.

milvushina

This reminds me of a time when I would go have coffee in the morning at the cafe at work and there was this group of old men that always sat together. I worked at a university and they were professors so I used to love to think about what they must be discussing. I figured one was probably a philosopher, another guy looked like a sociologist...etc. So one day I sat close enough to eavsdrop, and talk about the most assinine conversation. They talked crap about new teachers, students, and others, and just seemed really crochety and generally unpleasant.

It sucks to be one of the more mature individuals when you're only 20 and they are retirement age or older! But that's just how it goes. Carbine's tips are great, just don't do what they do (people will notice the folks who don't gossip, trust me), don't talk about your own personal stuff, give off good vibes and keep looking around for something else. But to some extent, all jobs are like this.

• Author
Dookie_Dont

I'm so irritated man, I'm just so sick of working there too. Today the boss was going to buy some food for some folks and wanted a volunteer, theres 3 of us standing there. And some other guy goes, well when he leaves he looks at me and says:

"since you never volunteer, you don't get anything."

The other guy laughed, which I'm surprised he didn't jump on it cause hes so far up his Blah! Man I've done the gofer runs before, but who likes to do it?

But it just adds to it man, I need another job. So I'm on the hunt, I know no job is perfect. But for the love of god, I can't take being criticized so much, its just not healthy for me anymore. I'm so frustrated over everything.

I've tried so hard, and I bust my ass everyday and its for nothing. I just wanted to tell them how I volunteer myself and risk alot for the convience of operations. The job hunt is on...

• 2 weeks later...
KeysGirl07

It's like that everywhere you go. Every job I've ever worked at I've encountered the same thing - everybody backstabs everybody. It's the dog eat dog mentality of the working world I guess.

You'd think this stuff would only relate to high school but unfortunately the working world is worse and men are no different from women when it comes to gossip. I learned that early on!

I work with people who won't stop talking about people either. We all do. The one thing I do now just so I can stay sane and get through the work day is immediately get away from them. When they start, I don't offer any excuses, I just leave because they just bring me DOWN!

...And know that they are talking about you too so why bother to be around people who ain't got nothing better to do? Just leave and be glad that you have more going on in your life than these miserable old farts!