Losing your Job over your internet post?

That's right HR people are looking up applicants on the Internet to see what sites they go to. Also what kind of things they put on My space sights. Sexy photos or suggestive things on a my space page just might be the deciding factor in whether or not you get a job. Big Brother is watching people.

Art_Critic

It should be Topper..

It is public info so why can't an employer use any public info to make an informed decision on a prospective hire ?

Seems like good business to me from an employer's point of view..

I think that is why people should watch the kind of things they put online..

Why give someone a reason to not hire you ?

Posting how much weed you smoke and how much partying you do and how you got arrested for possession on your myspace page or whatever on your blog is just stupid for any reason .. Let alone if you are trying to get gainfully employed

That's right HR people are looking up applicants on the Internet to see what sites they go to. Also what kind of things they put on My space sights. Sexy photos or suggestive things on a my space page just might be the deciding factor in whether or not you get a job. Big Brother is watching people.
More POWER to the self employed!!! :bunny::p
quankanne

Sexy photos or suggestive things on a my space page just might be the deciding factor in whether or not you get a job. Big Brother is watching people.

I'd much rather be turned down from a job because a prospective employer deems me unsuitable because of my *behavior* than because credit scores suggest poor candidacy!

part of the maturation process is using discernment when you do something that could ultimately reflect poorly on you. My guess is that the folks who do dumb things like get filmed for Girls Gone Wild or post MySpace comments about their drunken sexcapades lack that ability to discern ... they don't realize people will hold them accountable for their decisions.

in a nutshell, if you're stupid enough to put those things out there in a forum, then you're stupid enough to lose respectability in the eyes of a potential employer.

It should be Topper..

It is public info so why can't an employer use any public info to make an informed decision on a prospective hire ?

Seems like good business to me from an employer's point of view..

I think that is why people should watch the kind of things they put online..

Why give someone a reason to not hire you ?

Posting how much weed you smoke and how much partying you do and how you got arrested for possession on your myspace page or whatever on your blog is just stupid for any reason .. Let alone if you are trying to get gainfully employed

I agree!

I do use it to search out applicants backgrounds....... hell I use it to check out perspective clients as well.

One of the reasons I cannot air my own personal life in RL is because of the importance of being a "good citizen" with the perfect stable home life.

I think if I posted anything about sticking my H in the head with a fork on myspace with attachments to me, well clients may think that I was a little nuts! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Not everyone "gets" my sense of humor so I reserve it for LS and one or two select personal non business related friends.

If you put it out there people will judge you on it.

One of the reasons I cannot air my own personal life in RL is because of the importance of being a "good citizen" with the perfect stable home life.
Trust me, if people want the dirt on ya, they'll get it.

I liken that to locking my doors at night. Doesn't make any sense doing so. If a theif wants in, they're gettin' in.....period...of course, there would be a lot of cleaning up to do once he/she get's their brains blown out.

Besides a4a....you running for President in November or something?? :lmao:

Trialbyfire

One thing people should be careful of is when they sign into any site while at work. In most corporate networks, there are security systems in place that log every keystroke you make, thus able to sign into any account you've opened and able to log any conversation, everything. In very security sensitive places, they also have security or systems analysts who look for patterns to ensure that no sensitive material is being discussed.

Definitely, big brother is watching...

quankanne

not sure how security measures or employers wanting to ensure productivity equates a Big Brother scenario. Remember, in the last 20-25 years, technology that effect businesses has exploded, making those companies more vulnerble.

Besides a4a....you running for President in November or something?

:D :D :D and her platform could be "A fork for every tater" ...

IfWishesWereHorses

My 18 year old has sense enough to know this and explained to ME why she had it set up the way she does. Doesn't want to jeopardize a cushy job over myspace silliness. I recently stumbled across an employees of the churches site and was a little amazed that she allows that out there. Nothing terrible mind you, but not the behavior one would display PUBLICLY.

not sure how security measures or employers wanting to ensure productivity equates a Big Brother scenario. Remember, in the last 20-25 years, technology that effect businesses has exploded, making those companies more vulnerble.

Besides a4a....you running for President in November or something?

:D :D :D and her platform could be "A fork for every tater" ...

Well yep, sorta I am. :lmao:

I am a brand of sorts so I cannot even say the word SH*T in public.

Which sucks at times.

This place is a major outlet for me. Let my hair down and chatter about things I could never do in public, because you never know who ends up sitting next to you at a pub or restaurant.

I really gotta curb it in most instances... frustrating as all hell when you so so want to make a smartass remark and can't.

alphamale

thats why we don't use our real names on LS :)

TOPPER, you'd be unemployed for life if they saw some of the smack you wrote here :laugh:

thats why we don't use our real names on LS :)

TOPPER, you'd be unemployed for life if they saw some of the smack you wrote here :laugh:

and Alpha you would be buggered repeatedly with a baseball bat by a herd of feminist!

:lmao: :lmao:

Well yep, sorta I am. :lmao:

I am a brand of sorts so I cannot even say the word SH*T in public.

Which sucks at times.

This place is a major outlet for me. Let my hair down and chatter about things I could never do in public, because you never know who ends up sitting next to you at a pub or restaurant.

I really gotta curb it in most instances... frustrating as all hell when you so so want to make a smartass remark and can't.

I can remember a time when I went through the same thing......

Let me encourage by saying if you're successfull in your endeavor(s), there will be a time where you can say what ever you want, whenever you want, post whatever you want online,....and nobody can do squat about it.....:cool:

alphamale
and Alpha you would be buggered repeatedly with a baseball bat by a herd of feminist!:lmao: :lmao:

my real name is Brian and I work on an animated comedy show.

IfWishesWereHorses

Hell, I'm not even a feminist and I'ld bugger him, er,:p with a bat!

I can remember a time when I went through the same thing......

Let me encourage by saying if you're successfull in your endeavor(s), there will be a time where you can say what ever you want, whenever you want, post whatever you want online,....and nobody can do squat about it.....:cool:

Nobody can do squat about it now, but I like their money to come out of their wallets....... kinda part of the deal.

Hey what if your church members stumbled upon your posts and your pics?

I mean you have posted about your sex life with a pic of you here :eek: :eek:

Nobody can do squat about it now, but I like their money to come out of their wallets....... kinda part of the deal.

Hey what if your church members stumbled upon your posts and your pics?

I mean you have posted about your sex life with a pic of you here :eek: :eek:

Oh well......my life is an open book. Most of the them know us inside and out anyhow, (accountability reasons).
alphamale
Oh well......my life is an open book. Most of the them know us inside and out anyhow, (accountability reasons).

that don't mean squat... all of the members of BTK's church thought they knew him. obviously they didn't. No one knows anyone else 100%

that don't mean squat... all of the members of BTK's church thought they knew him. obviously they didn't. No one knows anyone else 100%
I clearly said, "most".......lol!
napoleandynamite

I am appauled at the fact how deeply prospective employers look into candidates. It's getting to a point of total invasion of privacy now. Yet, none of these background checks can point to potential behavior that can affect a companies success drastically. This goes for every profession from business workers to doctors.

I understand the idea behind background checks, but all I'm saying is places are getting way to invasive and they cannot always predict a person's true character. I have seen some cases where people have been suprised at workers because they had such a terrific BACKGROUND check.

blind_otter
I am appauled at the fact how deeply prospective employers look into candidates. It's getting to a point of total invasion of privacy now. Yet, none of these background checks can point to potential behavior that can affect a companies success drastically. This goes for every profession from business workers to doctors.

I understand the idea behind background checks, but all I'm saying is places are getting way to invasive and they cannot always predict a person's true character. I have seen some cases where people have been suprised at workers because they had such a terrific BACKGROUND check.

I'm with you napoleon. Back in the day employers seemed to survive without having the access to all sorts of personal information. Granted, I think personality inventories are absurd. Having been forced to design a personality inventory when I was in college, I realized how stupid those tests are and how little they actually reveal.

Is it too much to ask for an employer to put some effort into the interview process so they don't have to look behind people's backs? For God's sake, figure out what indicates aptitude for the given job and test for it.

Anyone who posts anything on the internet with their name or some identifier like a photograph attached should know it is out there for all to see and suffer the consequences. Don't show it to the world if you don't want the world to know about it! In fact, with the advent of the camera phone - you better wear a disguise if you want to act up in public in a way that could embarrass you before your friends, family, employer or spouse.

My ex-husband uses a nickname that I made up for him years ago. I googled it once, in an idle moment, and found out what he and his girlfriend do for fun.:sick: I don't feel in the least bit that I invaded his privacy. If he wanted privacy he would not be posting that stuff on the internet under an old but long-used nickname!

I have not googled employees, but I would.

It is not Big Brother watching you, it is me. Me and millions like me.

Art_Critic

An employers info is also public info and easily looked up for someone making a decision to what kind of company they are and if they are the kind of company that they would want to work for..

How many people have googled the company they were interviewing at ?? I'll bet 100%..

You check out better business bureaus and google all the webpages you can.. even their own..

You drive by the place and check out the surroundings...

looking for one little crack that can tell you what it would be like to work there.. you might even check references of people that you know already work there.

Soooo..

What shouldn't an employer do the same ?? it is his business and his money.. his reputation..

An informed decision is the best kind.. for all parties..

First off there's ways around everything. Make your profile private on myspace and you'll never have to worry about this. Also don't put you're real name when signing up for it. Really though, anyone over the age of 18 whose bragging about drug use or their hookups on myspace needs to grow up.

First off there's ways around everything. Make your profile private on myspace and you'll never have to worry about this. Also don't put you're real name when signing up for it. Really though, anyone over the age of 18 whose bragging about drug use or their hookups on myspace needs to grow up.

Especially those who show pics of their erect members and entitle their page " I love women, all women and I want to play ! ( duh , don't get caught even though you have a face shot ):lmao: