Leave it alone or do something about it?!?

Hello, I have a work dilemma and hopefully someone can help. My boss started a few months ago and came in with a lot of promises. Well, she has followed through with not much. She has become quite fond of one of her female employees.

Many things have occurred but the one that bothers me tremendously is that she lets her have a lot of time off. In the last month and a half she has been off 10 days and has left early about the same amount of days. The staff is very upset. She has used no vacation or sick time and is being paid due to the position being salary. Should I go above my boss' head?

What would be the purpose in going above your boss's head to complain? What would you really achieve by doing that? I think you'd just make your boss look bad to her boss - which is never a good thing - and you'd make yourself look like a whiner.

Perhaps you can go directly to your boss and tell her that your department is having trouble meeting their deadlines because that woman has been taking so much time off. Suggest that your boss hire a temp if the situation is going to continue, or that she provide enough notice when she will be away so that you can restructure the work assignments.

Say something along those lines so she knows people have noticed, but you are not just jealous and whining, but rather concerned for professional reasons that affect the business.

Trialbyfire

It's never a good idea to show you resent anyone.

Never idealize your boss because they are just flawed human beings like you and everyone else are. Management patter will always exist.

You have two ways you can improve your situation. Shine by your own merit or find a place that appreciates your abilities.

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you have access to payroll you can't know if she is having sick time nor vacation.

It's really none of your bussiness why this girl is off. And how can you know she's getting paid ?

If you went over her head it may very well come back to smack you in the face.

You might try asking if the girl is "sick" and suggest to buy a card and have the group sign it.