So I'm looking for a job and the job market seems to have been so much better just 4 months ago. There are positions that pay $30,000 a year and require a 4 year degree! That's nuts! 30K is nothing, at least in this area. I miss my old job (it was temporary) and I liked it but I sort of regret taking it in the first place knowing it would only last 4 months. I want to get back to work but I don't want to take anything low paying.

Low paying is better than nothing.

Take what you can get for now, but don't stop looking for something better.

• Author
Low paying is better than nothing.

Take what you can get for now, but don't stop looking for something better.

But I don't want to be in a job for couple of months only to switch again. I want to find something where I will want to stay for a long time, I want that stability.

But I don't want to be in a job for couple of months only to switch again. I want to find something where I will want to stay for a long time, I want that stability.

Well then if money isn't an issue for you right now, then keep looking and don't settle for less.

• Author
Well then if money isn't an issue for you right now, then keep looking and don't settle for less.

I will but my main issue is, what's going on if all these jobs are being offered for 30K to college grads? Is the economy going that much down hill?

I will but my main issue is, what's going on if all these jobs are being offered for 30K to college grads? Is the economy going that much down hill?

Around here it keeps sinking......

Just keep looking, you are bound to find something.

I am on my way to being a college graduate but maybe some of these jobs have advancement opportunities, which would lead to more money.

It depends on the market you are in. San Francisco, for example, has a job market with a large number of college graduates, so employers can increase their requirements in order to weed out all the applicants they get if there aren't a lot of jobs available.

Yep...the glory days of the US are pretty much over. Its all down hill from here. Pretty soon we'll all be working for the Chinese.

• Author
It depends on the market you are in. San Francisco, for example, has a job market with a large number of college graduates, so employers can increase their requirements in order to weed out all the applicants they get if there aren't a lot of jobs available.

Yes, the SF/Bay Area job market. But it honestly seems like 4-5 months ago these same jobs were going for 40K thats a huge difference!:eek:

Yes, the SF/Bay Area job market. But it honestly seems like 4-5 months ago these same jobs were going for 40K thats a huge difference!:eek:

you can't live on $40K in San FRan!

• Author
Yep...the glory days of the US are pretty much over. Its all down hill from here. Pretty soon we'll all be working for the Chinese.

Well that's negative and discouraging. I don't mind working for the Chinese they just better pay well :laugh: I know money isn't everything, but honestly I'm not gonna act like it doesn't matter, I do want a certain quality of life in my future.

Count your blessings some guy in India will do your job for $10.000 a year. in China for $2000.

Seems that anymore a 4 year degree is worth less then a really good roll of that two ply toilet paper.

• Author
you can't live on $40K in San FRan!

That's a whole other story, but what I'm saying is that a few months ago the jobs that are now offering 30K were offering 40K, this sort of scares me.

Well that's negative and discouraging. I don't mind working for the Chinese they just better pay well :laugh: I know money isn't everything, but honestly I'm not gonna act like it doesn't matter, I do want a certain quality of life in my future.

He is being a tad bit melodramatic about it. Around our parts (Michigan) the economy is the worse out of the 50 states. Morale is pretty low in terms of the job market here. That is why I want out of here after I graduate. There are very very few opportunities here.

• Author
He is being a tad bit melodramatic about it. Around our parts (Michigan) the economy is the worse out of the 50 states. Morale is pretty low in terms of the job market here. That is why I want out of here after I graduate. There are very very few opportunities here.

I know, Alpha is such a drama queen :laugh:

I've heard that about Michigan, I guess I thought in SF the economy was good at the least. I'm not trying to complain, I know I'm fortunate but this job thing has been a bit of a blow.

I don't mind working for the Chinese they just better pay well :laugh:

I hope you like rice ALLINA :lmao:

Seems that anymore a 4 year degree is worth less then a really good roll of that two ply toilet paper.

tell me about it! there was a guy working the Taco Bell drive-thru and he had a PhD.

That's a whole other story, but what I'm saying is that a few months ago the jobs that are now offering 30K were offering 40K, this sort of scares me.

My point was if you can't live in SF on $40k how ya gonna do it on $30k? You'll be eating Ramen noodles every nite and living under the GG bridge :laugh:

I know, Alpha is such a drama queen :laugh:

:rolleyes:

• Author
I hope you like rice ALLINA :lmao:

tell me about it! there was a guy working the Taco Bell drive-thru and he had a PhD.

My point was if you can't live in SF on $40k how ya gonna do it on $30k? You'll be eating Ramen noodles every nite and living under the GG bridge :laugh:

:rolleyes:

I do like rice :D

I have money apart from an income but 30K in SF is very hard, even in Berkeley where I live now. And don't roll your eyes at me young man :laugh:

May I ask how old you are? I love when 20somethings and yes I'm in my 20s think they're gonna get out of college and just fall into a job that pays 50 grand a year. Those jobs you earn and 30,000 is enough to live on..I lived on less then that and on my own in one of most expensive states to live in..it's called budgeting. Which is better being unemployed or having a 30,000 a year job?

• Author
May I ask how old you are? I love when 20somethings and yes I'm in my 20s think they're gonna get out of college and just fall into a job that pays 50 grand a year. Those jobs you earn and 30,000 is enough to live on..I lived on less then that and on my own in one of most expensive states to live in..it's called budgeting. Which is better being unemployed or having a 30,000 a year job?

I'm 23, almost 24. Notice how I wasn't complaining about my lack of money I was just talking about a large shift in salaries within a short period of time. Also, my last two jobs payed well over 30K.

I've bumped into quite a few who did get $45k after graduating and even one got $87k; really depends on what you majored in, pedigree, and other factors.

Nurses around here start at over $60k due to supply and demand. Even teachers are getting their salaries increased from 30k to 45k. $45k for harder states and they have MS degrees.

I'm 23, almost 24. Notice how I wasn't complaining about my lack of money I was just talking about a large shift in salaries within a short period of time. Also, my last two jobs payed well over 30K.

40k to 30k is a big drop for 3-4 months. I've read that San Fran now lags behind # of tech jobs behind NY/NJ.

San Fran (and other places like Triangle Park & Cambridge) have high percentages of college grads but is also on the list of worse job growth. I think it was in Fortune magazine or Wall Street Journal.

Wish you the best in the job market.

If you can, try jobs you wouldn't try; even volunteer. Never know it might lead to a more fulfilling job.

Nurses are indeed in high demand. I heard that around here, licensed RN's receive a $10,000 bonus when hired

• Author
Nurses are indeed in high demand. I heard that around here, licensed RN's receive a $10,000 bonus when hired

Too bad for me that I could never be a nurse.

melodymatters

i KNOW !!! I like people, I am the family's diagnostician and pharmacological expert, But I hate poo and pus, blah, so no nursing for me either !

• Author
i KNOW !!! I like people, I am the family's diagnostician and pharmacological expert, But I hate poo and pus, blah, so no nursing for me either !

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm like that too, plus I'd be like "ewww don't touch me" and run away. Also so much responsibility for a persons life terrifies me.

Vera_Louise

It would be worth it for you to take a year and a half and get a Master's in Teaching, particularly in special education. The need for special education teachers is going to skyrocket, there already is a shortage pretty much nationwide. Teachers' salary are going up. In 9 years of teaching I am at the $50,000 mark in a state which is not particularly high up in the rankings of teacher salary.

Can you say...Summers Off? Even in extended school year districts you're still talking a lot of days off. It's awesome.