Brown Nosing me out of a job

I am working with someone who really has perfected the art of brown nosing. He came in as a temp and has manged to secure a permanent role by brownnosing.

He comes into the office at 8 and leaves at 8/9. This would be understandable if he was in a good role but the work he does is admin. He also works weekends even though the role does not demand this but this gives him quality time to brown nose with the boss in private.

This bothers me because:

1) This sets the wrong standard - they may expect us all to work that long and that late.

2) If there are redundancies - he will be favoured more then me - even though he has no expereince.......we all know in that situation it is really based on likeability and not ability.

3)I recently learnt that he has been employed in the same level as me, the same bracket...........which is very insulting as I have experience that he does not have. He should be below me.

How do i raise this matter? I need to know what level he has been brought in on as this does affect me. I dont want to keep quiet and let it all fester while he brown noses me out of a role.

I have helped this person and this is going unnoticed. He is a crafty ar-se licker. A bad combination.

Trialbyfire

As an ex-employer, I would be looking not only at the amount of time spent (dedication), I would also be looking at the quality and quantity of work. If one person can do the same amount of work within 1/2 the time, accurately, I would be more interested in keeping this person than someone who is slower.

I would let this one go because it shows you as insecure in your abilities when you worry about someone else taking your place. I have couple of brown nosers where I work and I leave them alone and concentrate on my work. My view is that the boss is smart enough to judge who is worth what based on how they act and what they do.

• Like 1

Get out of the office env't if you hate watching brown nosers bc they are rampant in those settings. Every job you have you're gonna get them and your slackers. We had a huge one at my last job..it was almost sickening. Yeah she got promoted, worked overtime every night, had no life, without ANY raise in her salary..can we say sucker. Do you're own work and just try to block the person out. Unless you're fearful they're gonna take your job I don't see why you should get involved. At jobs most time it just has to do with who is liked more..just look at the tons of people who suck at their jobs, takes off excessively yet are never fired.

I think people confuse motivation for brown nosing. I know people think I brown nose and it's not even close to that. I was just another employee at one time and I began to get bored with my job b/c it was too easy for me. When they asked for a volunteer for something I would toss my name into it. This went on for a few months. A year later I am loved by all my bosses and have pretty much the perfect job. I broke my butt to get there and did jobs a lot of people wanted nothing to do with. Actually makes me laugh because I know it bother a few people but I did a lot of jobs nobody else wanted.

I think people confuse motivation for brown nosing. I know people think I brown nose and it's not even close to that. I was just another employee at one time and I began to get bored with my job b/c it was too easy for me. When they asked for a volunteer for something I would toss my name into it. This went on for a few months. A year later I am loved by all my bosses and have pretty much the perfect job. I broke my butt to get there and did jobs a lot of people wanted nothing to do with. Actually makes me laugh because I know it bother a few people but I did a lot of jobs nobody else wanted.

I agree its easy to confuse motivation with brown nosing.

I myself am a temp and I've temped at a few companies so far. Im not big on being a social chameleon, but there is a time to work and talk in the workplace - even with fellow co-workers.

From my perspective, if they ask me to do a job for them, i do it efficiently and quickly - and I may even point out errors/flaws they were not able to see. I want the quality of work I do to represent me as a person, as a temp, and who knows a possible full-time employee if the opportunity arises. If my quality of work is not up to par with the employees of the company or other temps for that matter, then i make myself and my contact look bad...in addition I wouldnt want to burn bridges because i might be temping for them again in the future if need be.

Now as for staying overtime/sucking up to the boss - maybe he really is motivated and wants to get hired by the company. Temps lack something full-time employees have which is financial stability (stable job) (and perhaps benefits).

If it werent for my night classes prohibiting me from staying late at work, I would too because it is usually expected of me to finish a certain given job since i am being payed by the hour.

But honestly, who wants someone to work for them that's unmotivated, quiet, and is slow doing his/her job? something to think about.

As for brown-nosing in general, I know and have seen people rise to the top rather quickly, it is a natural part of the workforce. But sometimes it can also work against them if it starts pestering that person.

He comes into the office at 8 and leaves at 8/9. This would be understandable if he was in a good role but the work he does is admin. He also works weekends even though the role does not demand this but this gives him quality time to brown nose with the boss in private.

If I were the boss, I'd be a little freaked out by the prospect of some newcomer prowling about the office after hours and during weekends.

Best case scenario...he's a dynamic young dick-licker who's so obsessed with getting ahead in his career that he's willing to sacrifice all his free time to do so. Worst case scenario - the same with knobs on. Dynamic young dick-licker who spends his free time just happening to stumble across useful/confidential information that he believes might make him more marketable to the company's competitors.

burning 4 revenge

This is why I hope to work for the government for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a marxist pinko vermin, but i have good sense enough to stay away from the private sector.

It makes me nostalgic for a pre-industrial age I never knew where getting ahead meant collecting a few more oates for the gruel.

My dream job, of course, would be to be a landed English lord in the early twentieth century. I could sit around all day with my brandy snifter squinting at people while lifting up my spectacles and complain about the Kaiser Wilhelm and the deplorable taste of Mrs Kensington's yorkshire pudding. That must have been the life.

• Author

He is also gay - ok this may have no significance, but that "sweetness" he has - if he was a woman brown nosing he wouldnt get away with it ( having a female boss - it rarely works - female and female licking up).

He has that annoyingingly sweet girly way about him that makes him likeable by the big boss.

His main boss is a very sharp no bullsh*t person so i doubt she is falling for it. But the big boss is most definetly taken in.

I dont feel insecure about him taking my job - i just know that even though i get along with most people etc i dont go that extra mile (100 miles) that he does. I also have faced this situation before ( when i didnt make much effort) i learnt the hard way.

I also want to clarify where i stand versus him - in the sense that i was taken on for my x years of experience - i want to clarify with the boss whether he is at the same level (with no experience) if so why? can i do this subtly ? i think i have the right to know why he was hired at the same level as me with no experiance - if i let this fester then it will just get worse. that much i do know. any examples as to how i can ask this?

I also want to clarify where i stand versus him - in the sense that i was taken on for my x years of experience - i want to clarify with the boss whether he is at the same level (with no experience) if so why? can i do this subtly ? i think i have the right to know why he was hired at the same level as me with no experiance - if i let this fester then it will just get worse. that much i do know. any examples as to how i can ask this?

I dont know if that would be a good idea. Considering the fact that

A) the temp is in your bosses favor

B) the boss can tell you a lie which points to A

C) you could potentially harm your position in the company, because in effect you're making a direct comparison of yourself and the temp in the workplace by putting yourself in the spotlight.

Would it really accomplish anything by asking since you seem to know what's going on

This is why I hope to work for the government for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a marxist pinko vermin, but i have good sense enough to stay away from the private sector.

It makes me nostalgic for a pre-industrial age I never knew where getting ahead meant collecting a few more oates for the gruel.

My dream job, of course, would be to be a landed English lord in the early twentieth century. I could sit around all day with my brandy snifter squinting at people while lifting up my spectacles and complain about the Kaiser Wilhelm and the deplorable taste of Mrs Kensington's yorkshire pudding. That must have been the life.

You sound to me like Mr. Z