New Job..Boss gives me no work

I'm in a my job a lil over a month. It was a shakey start from the beginning..don't feel like going into details. Anyway my positon was newely created. My manager is a laid back guy, pretty quiet and very into his work. They created this new position so that I would be supporting him as well as 2 other groups. He told me from the get go that hes very self sufficient and the other 2 groups need help. Problem..hes gives me no work..I request work, he'll give me a folder to make which takes 5 min and the rest of the day I'm making appointments, phones etc and sitting there with 0 to do. He pays attention and gives work to all the other guys and others in his group. The boss over him was the one that wanted my manager to have an admin..so basically that's why I was hired. I started walking around asking the group if they need help..they're answer..well isnt "tom" our manager giving u work..or "well we don't know what ure psosition is supposed to be".. I'll go into my his office here and there and ask for something to do..and when I do it's like I'm distracting him from his work..so what the hell is my purpose..why am I here? I'm sure people are wondering what I'm doing and why he wont give me anything to do. I'm starting to think I was hired to be eye candy and that's about it. Then he'll come by me and say oh I just spoke to the guys they're gonna give u some work to do...AND THE GUYS NEVER DO. So I'll say in convo to the guys so am I still doing that thing "tom" said for u to give me..and they'll say oh I don't know I have to ask. So either..they dont like me, trust me or want me supporting them..though that's my job or something strange is going on. My boss left for a few days and left me with not one thing to do..who does that. Honestly..I don't see why they even made my position..we have another admin and before me she supported the group..they still all run to her for things..so why am I there. She is bombared with work..always busy..then there's me sitting there fiddling my thumbs. I left my last job bc of the lack of work and 8 hrs of down time. I was bored and unmotivated and I'm beyond bored here too. I want a normal job where I have daily assignments..I shouldn't have to prance into my bosses office looking for work to be given some meaningless, trival 5 min "project" to do. And I'm sure the other's in the group are taking notcie how my boss is giving me nothing to do all day every day. Am I invisible, is he purposely not giving me enough work or any for that matter so I'll quit.

we have another admin and before me she supported the group..they still all run to her for things..so why am I there. She is bombared with work..always busy..then there's me sitting there fiddling my thumbs.

Go to the admin and ask her if you can help.

The groups you are supporting don't want to take the time to teach you how to do the things that other admin already knows how to do. It's easier for them to just give it to her.

• Author
Go to the admin and ask her if you can help.

The groups you are supporting don't want to take the time to teach you how to do the things that other admin already knows how to do. It's easier for them to just give it to her.

I have and she'll tell me she's ok or watever. So this group is just gonna go over my manager or maybe he's not even directing them..who knows.

Trialbyfire

Sounds like you're caught in the middle of some office politics between the Manager and his Boss. If I were to take a guess, sounds like the Boss wants something from the Manager and he's basically saying he's too busy to do whatever, so he's forced to take an admin that he doesn't want.

I would start sending your requests for work via email to both the Manager and the teams you're supposed to support. This way you have consistent documented proof that you've tried to support them and received no work in return. If it doesn't improve in the next month or so, start looking for a transfer to another Dept. or a new job.

I agree with the previous poster, that this odd situation has occurred because of the dynamics of the organization that were in place before you arrived. It's a rare workplace these days where nobody has a single thing to hand off and get assistance with. If I were you, I would continue trying to get work from time to time, and then I would keep myself busy by improving any skills that I could while still on the job - things like software, spreadsheets, studying the company and the competition, learning how the office operates, charting economic trends that affect your business, etc. All things that you can do at your desk to stay busy, productively. There's a slight chance that you might even get busier at your current job with some fresh skills. Then look for a new job on your personal time.

We just hired a receptionist and she is sitting there with nothing to do most of the time. I'll admit I actually avoid walking in front of her desk because I feel so sorry for her that it's easier not to even see her sitting there in what must be the most utter boredom. The office manager was overworked - but there was not enough work for two people, so the recptionist sits idle. We don't get many visitors.

Why don't you use your free work time to find another job...

I would look very seriously at a potential employee....who wants to leave their current job for lack of work.

• Author

The other admin told me that when she first started they did the same thing to her..gave her hardly any work then I'm assuming she progressively got more work. Should I give it a month or so to see if they start giving me more responsibilites?

• Author
I agree with the previous poster, that this odd situation has occurred because of the dynamics of the organization that were in place before you arrived. It's a rare workplace these days where nobody has a single thing to hand off and get assistance with. If I were you, I would continue trying to get work from time to time, and then I would keep myself busy by improving any skills that I could while still on the job - things like software, spreadsheets, studying the company and the competition, learning how the office operates, charting economic trends that affect your business, etc. All things that you can do at your desk to stay busy, productively. There's a slight chance that you might even get busier at your current job with some fresh skills. Then look for a new job on your personal time.

That's what I do..I don't sit on the internet..instead I go on the company website etc. Don't get me wrong I do all my managers clerical work, phones, meetings and also for his boss's when his admin is out as well as reports for the other vp..thing is it's just not enough to keep me busy for hrs at a time. I'm making in the mid 40s too so I know most people would think I'm an idiot to complain.

I wouldnt think youre an idiot for complaining, the fact is the workload at a lot of places can get slow from time to time. Sometimes a person could be sitting there staring off into space, the next minute they could be flooded with work. Usually that's the case when you receive work from others, often the person on top may be flooded with his/her own work that they dont have the time to give out work to others.

I've had my share of times where im sitting in front of the computer browsing the web, etc - occasionally I'd even ask if they've got anything for me and they'd just tell me to sit tight. Truth is it's just out of our control - the only way to take control is to find another job or be your own boss.

I know what you're probably thinking. you dont want to give off the bad impression to others that you're getting paid to sit there, and you're just a parasite that isnt contributing to the company. Yea it sucks but we all got bills to pay...so yea.

Count your blessings. I used to work in an office with abusive managers and backstabbing coworkers. The job was stressful and exhausting. Now I have a job like yours where half the time I do nothing. I welcome it! It does get boring but all I have to do is think about the people at my last job and I become very grateful.

• 5 weeks later...
napoleandynamite

I read your post about your work troubles. Let me start off by saying, my last job which was an office job was a lot like that. I worked with another admin that supported the president and vp of the company. For a while, there was nothing to do. I would keep asking for work too, but nothing came my way. Towards the end, suddenly they began to teach me how to do quotes for potential clients. A week later, they let me go because I ''wasn't picking up things quick enough".

Now, if you read my posts, my former career path as an admin was not successful. In regards to my experiences (which sound like the one that you are living in now), my best explanation is that some offices "create" a position when there is an overload of work and they are generally looking for a self-starter to walk in there and make things work better. This company sounds somewhat unorganized, but from my experience, when they don't give you work during the day, they are seeking someone who can go in there and automatically know what to do. It's a tough thing, because being in any admin role, you are used to having a boss give you work. However, this is not the case.

Also, I notice some of those who replied have encouraged you to continue to ask your boss and coworkers for help. This is good advice in the sense it shows you are a team player and willing to pitch in, however....if this is becoming too repetitve, your boss and coworkers may think they don't need to keep you around after all. Companies are incredibly cheap and they don't want to pay a salary for a worker that is just a "back-up". What I would do is look for another job that will keep you busier. While you are looking elsewhere, continue to give this job your best shot. Maybe ask your boss or coworkers once a day if they need help. When there's nothing to do, organize your office, look through things and see how you can organize things in your work environment better. As someone else said, you can always ask another admin to take time out of his/her day to train you on daily things that need to be done. Time will tell if this job will work out for you. If your there six months and your still bored out of your skull, definetly try harder to get another job asap.

dropdeadlegs

I think I would love your job! I would play Bejeweled, bid on lots of eBay auctions (thereby contributing to the economy with my mid 40's income,) do some shopping at Victoria's Secret, and post on LS all day.

If posting on LS was a paying job, I would be getting rich.

I think you work with people that are a lot like me. I hate handing off my work because I am compulsive about only having myself to blame if something isn't done right. I won't even let people copy and fax for me. I also feel like it is asking others to do something menial and that they will think I think less of them. I know that is stupid, especially when someone is asking to help me, but I have difficulty accepting help. It's almost as bad as asking for help, which I find very difficult too.

I think it is admirable that you want to earn your salary, but if they want to pay you for doing very little, what can you really do? Very little, I guess.

I wouldn't quit.

As you have been doing, maintain email contact with other personnel and admin that you wish to be more a part of the organization.

If I were in your position, I would fear I'd have my job cut because of over staffing.

Perhaps you can research your company and create new ideas. Present these to the Business Owners if need be.

Find out what you can do outside your field in research to offer new ideas and improvements.

Then again most companies consider it disloyal to go out of the "chain of command"