Friend as a co-worker.

Great Gazoo

I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience in working with a long time friend as a co-worker? A good friend from high school is moving back home and I am thinking of offering him a job working for me but I am worried that it may not work out and it could blow up in my face. So has anyone had any experience with this? Does it work out or is it just asking for trouble.

let me put it this way GG...the chances of it NOT working out are higher than it working out. Many a friendship has been broken due to things like this.

• Author
Great Gazoo

Thanks alpha, yeah thats what I am worried about, I would hate to lose this friendship but at the same time I feel I could trust him and he would be more on the same wave length as me. I guess I could try it as more of a trial thing with no strings attached. Giving him and myself the opportunity to back out if it is going to cause problems.

I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience in working with a long time friend as a co-worker? A good friend from high school is moving back home and I am thinking of offering him a job working for me but I am worried that it may not work out and it could blow up in my face. So has anyone had any experience with this? Does it work out or is it just asking for trouble.

I know someone who works for a good friend of theirs, but he takes advantage of the situation. he is late a lot and he calls in. He needs to be fired to be taught a lesson. In your situation, it could go either way. You know him better than us, so what do you think?

• Author
Great Gazoo
I know someone who works for a good friend of theirs, but he takes advantage of the situation. he is late a lot and he calls in. He needs to be fired to be taught a lesson. In your situation, it could go either way. You know him better than us, so what do you think?

Well he is a very good worker and I don't think he would take advantage of the situation. I just don't know how I would be able to communicate with him as a boss. I mean we grew up together and did stupid things together, I don't think he would take my authority very seriously if a problem came up.

Well he is a very good worker and I don't think he would take advantage of the situation. I just don't know how I would be able to communicate with him as a boss. I mean we grew up together and did stupid things together, I don't think he would take my authority very seriously if a problem came up.

I can understand that. Yeah that would be a very awkward situation for the both of you. Maybe it would be better for it not to happen.

• Author
Great Gazoo
I can understand that. Yeah that would be a very awkward situation for the both of you. Maybe it would be better for it not to happen.

Yeah something to think about, thats why I posted this thread, anyways thanks for the reply.

A number of yrs ago my best friend hired one of our mutual friends to work in his glass & mirror business. They worked together for a few yrs.

Unfortunately neither one of them has spoken to the other in over 10 years.

• Author
Great Gazoo
A number of yrs ago my best friend hired one of our mutual friends to work in his glass & mirror business. They worked together for a few yrs.

Unfortunately neither one of them has spoken to the other in over 10 years.

Yeah that would kinda suck.