I have a dilemma. I'm considering changing jobs within 6 months and it has been 3 months.

I'm not really satisfied with the job, bored, took a few to much for the team, and not really fulfilled. Feel that I don't fit in.

I've considered another division at another location as it fits my resume background.

What I'm considered was transferring to that division and the thought of leaving altogether has crossed my mind. Yes under 1 year.

The project I'm on is ok don't feel like the team wants me there. The prior projects I got assigned to a bad project, others were so boring, and a few people in a different division that i want to be in left the company. Sounds like a career opportunity with all those leaving but I'm so bored and not a happy camper.

Sugguestions and ideas?

in a professional setting if you're not happy you have to do what's best for yourself; everyone understands it cause almost all have been in that position at one time or another (or multiple times in my case)

portableversion

I quit my job as an attorney about 2 months ago, after having been there for 18 months. Just couldn't stand the yeller of a boss i had. The sexual harassment. The never-ending blame game. The racist jokes. I definately did not 'fit' in with that particular group of primates. So now i'm searching, and it's depressing. But I know that if i were still there, i'd be a LOT more miserable.

I have a dilemma. I'm considering changing jobs within 6 months and it has been 3 months.

I'm not really satisfied with the job, bored, took a few to much for the team, and not really fulfilled. Feel that I don't fit in.

I've considered another division at another location as it fits my resume background.

What I'm considered was transferring to that division and the thought of leaving altogether has crossed my mind. Yes under 1 year.

The project I'm on is ok don't feel like the team wants me there. The prior projects I got assigned to a bad project, others were so boring, and a few people in a different division that i want to be in left the company. Sounds like a career opportunity with all those leaving but I'm so bored and not a happy camper.

Sugguestions and ideas?

Before you bail I would first ask yourself - and answer - some serious questions.

Like, why is the project "bad"?

I admit that I don't know much about computer/IT projects, so I might be talking out of my @ss here, but I don't think leaving in the middle of a project is a good idea. I don't think your current team will appreciate it, and I don't think you're going to earn the respect of future employers either. How can they count on you to join a project if you've got a track record of leaving before the project ends?

My advice is, stick it out and then transfer when you're no longer needed. Personalities are always a potential problem no matter where you work. Amerikajin's proverb: "Seek to understand first before being understood, grasshopper"

Not trying to be a hard-@ss or anything, but food for thought.

Amerikajin's proverb: "Seek to understand first before being understood, grasshopper".

where did you get that from? a fortune cookie? :lmao:

Trialbyfire

What do you really want jerbear? Do you want to excel in your field and remain within the same or similar position, make a move to management or are you bored with your field?

What do you really want jerbear? Do you want to excel in your field and remain within the same or similar position, make a move to management or are you bored with your field?

no TBF...he wants to be out standing in the field...preferrable not naked. :laugh:

where did you get that from? a fortune cookie? :lmao:

Worse, my PR professor in university. I actually remember that shyte, homey.

• Author

Education does work!

I was bored in my old job and got a new job with a big accounting firm. Went from IT to the otherside as a auditor. I guess it was being the new guy and timing that got to me. Felt and still feels that I went from being bored to being bored and doing things a trained monkey can do.

New job is more strategic versus technical. Part of me also feels that the location just doesn't vibe and I'm more interested in a different level. Fed versus state and local.

My friends and classmates are in one city while I went another. Part of what I feel maybe buyers remorse? I also feel that there is no future at the current firm and current site. Part of the job doesn't just jive the right way.

There was no future at the old job and the new job actually does give a future toward upper management. What I'm missing is actually budget control experience; I had everything before that.

I understand about the leaving in a short time issue. The flip side is to leave quickly and just move on. I guess I'm just planning my career out for the next 2-3 years and so far it does not look good.

Education does work!

There is education, and there is also "education".

Education comes from the Latin word educare, which essentially means to be led out from the dark; enlightenment of the mind.

"Education" is a term I use to refer to external attempts to hijack critical thinking capabilities to the point where the individual has a reduced capacity to be an independent thinker, and is more prone to accept what others say without further investigation.

The two are entirely different.

• Author
There is education, and there is also "education".

Education comes from the Latin word educare, which essentially means to be led out from the dark; enlightenment of the mind.

"Education" is a term I use to refer to external attempts to hijack critical thinking capabilities to the point where the individual has a reduced capacity to be an independent thinker, and is more prone to accept what others say without further investigation.

The two are entirely different.

I stand educated. The quoted education is what I feel I've signed up for; the new job is pretty much filling out forms and giving a judgement. I feel like a drone!

Trialbyfire
I was bored in my old job and got a new job with a big accounting firm. Went from IT to the otherside as a auditor. I guess it was being the new guy and timing that got to me. Felt and still feels that I went from being bored to being bored and doing things a trained monkey can do.

New job is more strategic versus technical. Part of me also feels that the location just doesn't vibe and I'm more interested in a different level. Fed versus state and local.

My friends and classmates are in one city while I went another. Part of what I feel maybe buyers remorse? I also feel that there is no future at the current firm and current site. Part of the job doesn't just jive the right way.

There was no future at the old job and the new job actually does give a future toward upper management. What I'm missing is actually budget control experience; I had everything before that.

I understand about the leaving in a short time issue. The flip side is to leave quickly and just move on. I guess I'm just planning my career out for the next 2-3 years and so far it does not look good.

Are you certain private industry isn't a better place for you? Government jobs are reknowned for set in stone. Being in finance opens doors that you might be surprised with. Look into jobs within the Investment industry if you have a chance. Depending on your level of education, it can be quite lucrative and interesting.

• Author
Are you certain private industry isn't a better place for you? Government jobs are reknowned for set in stone. Being in finance opens doors that you might be surprised with. Look into jobs within the Investment industry if you have a chance. Depending on your level of education, it can be quite lucrative and interesting.

That thought has crossed my mind many times since graduating college. I even took coursework and networked with some finance / broker dealers. I think I have what it takes to be a CFA level 1. At quick glance level 2 content was over my head due to regulations and content in other series.

Finance has always been a pet hobby of mine, always had an interest.

Deep down inside another part of me wants to finish the business plan and just submit it, even if it aiming high and for the world.

Strange thing, the ex's (more than one) was in finance and they all can sponsor me and have connections. yet I'm also building my own. I think it is a good idea to say hi to those people.

• 3 weeks later...
AriaIncognito

I believe that is also one of the 7 habits of highly effective people :-) Steven Covey would be proud of you! :-)

"Seek first to understand - then to be understood".

Yeah, I took the class, and or some reason that's the only "habit" i remember hehe

• 9 months later...
  • Author

Well I did get into contact with an (ex's old friends) and got chewed out. We are talking but not really talking... oh well... :(

I also got contact from an coworker who said there is a job opening... hint hint... :)

My job would consider my request to take time off and work on some campaigns.

Now the problem is a potential promotion and a transfer request that just presented itself.

Right now I'm debating on applying for the job and then work on starting a business. I know that I can pretty much get the promotion and the transfer is in progress. The transfer would reset my promotion a year back and would be doing the same old thing different place. I am getting second thoughts on the transfer and wishing to stick it out at the same place for the promotion, get a new job, then switch into the business venture after two years. This would be while I work on the business plan and still have a pay check.

It is one of those things thats in my gut that I have to do. Start my own thing and go from there. The friend's job opening has a very good future and tuition reimbursement plan.

Life is full of decisions... drop the transfer, forget the promotion, apply for the other job, and take a chance on my own passions... argh...

• 1 month later...
  • Author

A lot has happened in a month.

I got the job that my friend forwarded me!

I dropped the transfer and they still want me to transfer oneday. I also got upset with one of the managers that I almost quit more than once. He was hiding and being a "blocker." Gives you bad info, hides behind his title and sets you up for failure then gives you a "talk." I even complained to his manager about his antics!

My passions are still on my mind, I want to work on my business plans, and work on some campaigns. I may be quitting the job due to so many red flags and it is really not my cup of tea.

The last few weeks I got assigned some very cool tasks and jobs usually reserved for more senior people. Even more senior than the manager. So there are some decisions I have to make.

Just when things are getting interesting, life throws you a curve ball. Decisions, decisions :confused: