Tricky work problem...

Hi Guys, I've got a question here as to how i should handle this situation...

When i started my Job they promised me training and it never happened, a few months ago i threatened to leave but they organised the training and fixed my other niggles.

So I'm going on the course next week, they've paid for the course (£1500) and I paid for my train ticket and hotel (£300) which I can recalaim on my expenses.

As soon as i'd done that the boss comes up to me and tells me hes revising everyones contracts to cover so new legislation for something, and he slips in "oh ill be adding a clause about leaving after training, and renumeration"

I've just read a draft of the new contract and it says "if i leave within 3 months i have to pay everything back, 6 months 50% and, 9 months 25%"

What a F*****G jip!!! They make false promises, only 'pay up' when i threaten them, and then try and bully me with a new contract when its too late for me to do anything about.

Im not being unreasonable am i?

I've got no problem with the contract change, I understand they need to protect themselves, thats not my complaint. But the timing?

When my boss talks to me later what shall i say? Im not signing this **** before ive been on this course its a right scam. They cant just force smallprint on me at the last second can they?!

How should i handle this?

Thanks guys

Rocket

Hi Guys, I've got a question here as to how i should handle this situation...

When i started my Job they promised me training and it never happened, a few months ago i threatened to leave but they organised the training and fixed my other niggles.

So I'm going on the course next week, they've paid for the course (£1500) and I paid for my train ticket and hotel (£300) which I can recalaim on my expenses.

As soon as i'd done that the boss comes up to me and tells me hes revising everyones contracts to cover so new legislation for something, and he slips in "oh ill be adding a clause about leaving after training, and renumeration"

I've just read a draft of the new contract and it says "if i leave within 3 months i have to pay everything back, 6 months 50% and, 9 months 25%"

What a F*****G jip!!! They make false promises, only 'pay up' when i threaten them, and then try and bully me with a new contract when its too late for me to do anything about.

Im not being unreasonable am i?

I've got no problem with the contract change, I understand they need to protect themselves, thats not my complaint. But the timing?

When my boss talks to me later what shall i say? Im not signing this **** before ive been on this course its a right scam. They cant just force smallprint on me at the last second can they?!

How should i handle this?

Thanks guys

Rocket

Hi R

I'm in the UK as well and in my current workplace, which is an IT related industry this has become normal practice now. The first time I saw the charge for leaving after training was about 5 years ago now and it was exactly the same pay-back structure as the one you described.

In some ways I can't blame the companies who wants to pay out for something like SAP training only for your employee to promptly leave the minute after giving them thousands of pounds worth of training, which like you say is their kind of protection. Mine has also gone one step further and also said that their will be no pay increase for those who received certain kinds of training, which was in fact a job requirement.

As far as such short notice, my feeling its prob just a co-incidence, surely it must have been arranged a while ago for new contracts for everyone. Don't think theres much you can do about not signing it though its probably a like it or you know what you can do.

When I worked for a different comnpany my contract was based on no requirement for working behind times/evening etc to fix server problems etc, a new manager came in, decided that they didnt want to be the one to fix the servers so they asked me too, I said I couldnt, had a part-time job which I had informed them about and they said no problem at the interview, however, the manager then had my contract changed to make sure I now had to do this job requirement. I mentioned it to the union I was with, told me not much could be done.

Cheers

NT