Did you double your salary over years?

RecordProducer

This question is for those who are employed by others and hold full-time job positions, not for entrepreneurs and other self-employed people. I am asking about fixed salary, not profits, commissions, fees, and other fluctuating types of incomes.

Did you start from zero and got promoted multiple times? Did you climb from the bottom to a manager's position? Did you prove your qualities and were hired by another company for a better salary? Tell me your career stories, please. Thank you. :)

All of the above! ;)

I'm interviewing for a new job, and just today filled out an application that asked me a lot of questions about past jobs and salaries.

I started at the bottom out of college, received annual increases, and then changed jobs to get a bigger salary bump after grad school. I changed jobs again for more money a couple years later. Over the course of the 9 years I spent at that company, via annual increases, promotions, and transfers into other positions with more responsibility, I tripled my salarly. Then, I changed jobs again, for more money. And now, I am hoping to do it again...

Hi, RP! Sorry I haven't PM'd you yet about the jobs I thought you'd be suited for. I promise I will soon. I keep getting interrupted and can't keep focused long enough to write you but here's my answer for this thread.

Here's the way my last job went. I was there for 3 1/2 years.

I was hired at a temp agency as a "Staffing Coordinator"...within one year I was promoted to "senior staffing coordinator." The third year, I became a "Branch Manager." I was running my whole branch and responsible for over 100 employees. I did all the hiring/firing. I was responsible for the budget. I was responsible for public relations/advertising/sales/budget...etc. etc. All of that within three years.

My salary was raised a little over $10,000 in three years. Not sure if that's typical or not though. Maybe it's less and maybe it's more. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that. And maybe it has to do with percentage of salary...not sure. Salaries around here are under the average nationwide.

I will be returning to work this Aug, and shouldn't have a problem starting out where I left off (salary wise) three years ago when I quit working.

I will say this..My promotions and salary raises weren't ONLY due to my hard-work and my capabilities in the field. A lot of it had to do with opportunity. When new openings became available, I very aggresively went after those openings. I knew though that if I didn't have the experience and proven track record, that those doors would have closed in my face.

Lesson learned? No matter how low the position is...look at it only as a stepping-stone and do your VERY best. Pretend you're the CEO and not the lowest man on the totem pole.

You will go far that way.

Hi, RP! Sorry I haven't PM'd you yet about the jobs I thought you'd be suited for. I promise I will soon. I keep getting interrupted and can't keep focused long enough to write you but here's my answer for this thread.

Here's the way my last job went. I was there for 3 1/2 years.

I was hired at a temp agency as a "Staffing Coordinator"...within one year I was promoted to "senior staffing coordinator." The third year, I became a "Branch Manager." I was running my whole branch and responsible for over 100 employees. I did all the hiring/firing. I was responsible for the budget. I was responsible for public relations/advertising/sales/budget...etc. etc. All of that within three years.

My salary was raised a little over $10,000 in three years. Not sure if that's typical or not though. Maybe it's less and maybe it's more. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that. And maybe it has to do with percentage of salary...not sure. Salaries around here are under the average nationwide.

I will be returning to work this Aug, and shouldn't have a problem starting out where I left off (salary wise) three years ago when I quit working.

I will say this..My promotions and salary raises weren't ONLY due to my hard-work and my capabilities in the field. A lot of it had to do with opportunity. When new openings became available, I very aggresively went after those openings. I knew though that if I didn't have the experience and proven track record, that those doors would have closed in my face.

Lesson learned? No matter how low the position is...look at it only as a stepping-stone and do your VERY best. Pretend you're the CEO and not the lowest man on the totem pole.

• Author
RecordProducer

Girls, your stories sound very inspiring and encouraging. :) Thank you very much for replying.

All of the above! ;)

Over the course of the 9 years I spent at that company, via annual increases, promotions, and transfers into other positions with more responsibility, I tripled my salary.

You spent 9 years in the same company and tripled your salary within that company?

Lesson learned? No matter how low the position is...look at it only as a stepping-stone and do your VERY best.
OK. :)

Pretend you're the CEO and not the lowest man on the totem pole.

You mean pretend in my mind or in front of other people? I read that you have to act rather in a servile and submissive way with the other employees at the beginning, as in I am a modest, humble hard worker that wants to learn from you. :D What's the right way to act, now that we mentioned it? In my country, you gotta be self-confident and cool. If you're too kind or too meek or too energetic and friendly, they take it as a weakness and don;t take you seriously (which is ridiculous, but that's the mentality).

what country are u from canada... companies want leaders these days people who they can put in a possistion and have them run with it and not be forced to constantly monitor. I havnt been promoted ot much but I worked 3 different jobs this past year first time I switched I saw a 34% increase then I switched again to my current job and had another 34%

Yes, I more than doubled my salary in my last profession which was as a mortgage loan processor.

I started out making $6.75 working through a Temp Staffing Service on a job that was considered possibly temp-to-perm. I had no experience in the field. I went permanent within a few months and my salary was increased to the equivalent of just over $9.00 per hour and continued to rise through annual increases to nearly $15.00 (although I was now paid an annual salary that would have amounted to that figure if paid hourly. My entire career lasted 8 years and I no longer work at all. If I decided to reenter that market I have no doubt I could easily meet or exceed my income when leaving the field.

You spent 9 years in the same company and tripled your salary within that company?

Yes - that included two promotions, and a transfer into a completely different role in another part of the company...a part of the company that paid a lot more. It's a large tech consulting firm, so they have the revenue generating part of the company, and the internal operations part. When I moved into the revenue generating part, the salary levels were higher to begin with, plus the role itself was a more senior position and coincided with a promotion.

Touche is right about seeking opportunities and going after them aggressively. The annual increases aren't going to get you very far, as most companies just do cost of living bumps, plus maybe a little more for performance. You have to recognize an opportunity, use your contacts to be considered for it, and then sell yourself.

It requires confidence in your abilities, and it requires getting support from people who count in the company. Certainly, at first, be modest and learn everything you can. But when it's time to take on a project that will make you more visible, take it. Your best way to get noticed at first is to make other people look good - make them successful, do your job well, so they can do their jobs well.

For promotions, you are expected to act like you are already in that job - meaning, be capable of doing it, take on the projects that are harder and do well at them, dress for one or two levels higher than where you are.

The best way to go places is to work hard and network. I've been stolen from firm to firm around 7 times. The moves have been lucrative.

It happens. Don't count on us taking a collection for the ransom.

I'm not certain where this came from but sometimes rejection is hard to take.

I'm not certain where this came from but sometimes rejection is hard to take.

Sometimes?? They must have stolen you to study you. Do you find that the probing is sometimes inappropriate?

Sometimes?? They must have stolen you to study you. Do you find that the probing is sometimes inappropriate?

*sigh*

And I thought you were an honestly nice individual who wasn't dominated by his ego.

Sorry, but in my world...probing is NEVER innapropriate.

And I thought you were an honestly nice individual who wasn't dominated by his ego.

Well, I do have a huge ego. Which is funny, because I never get any evidence to support such a grandiose opinion of myself.

I'm either deluded, or incompetent. I prefer the former, I guess.

Well, I do have a huge ego. Which is funny, because I never get any evidence to support such a grandiose opinion of myself.

I'm either deluded, or incompetent. I prefer the former, I guess.

You do know you're a great guy but sometimes the timing isn't right. It's unfair for me to drop my baggage at someone else's doorstep.

• Author
RecordProducer

OK, guys please stop hijacking my thread. At least this one is not fun. :) Thank you.

Yes - that included two promotions, and a transfer
Wow! So I was correct in my thoughts that it's better to immediately find a company where you want to remain for a long time rather than count on a move from one company to another? Is your company gigantic? Is your occupation techinical or more financially oriented?

Touche is right about seeking opportunities and going after them aggressively.
How do you seek opportunities? You mean job openings or more subtle and less obvious opportunities?

You have to recognize an opportunity, use your contacts to be considered for it, and then sell yourself.
Can you give me an example? As you know in ex-YU everything is f-cked up and things are totally different so I am kinda clueless. All I know is from movies and reading articles. :o

It requires confidence in your abilities, and it requires getting support from people who count in the company.
So the managers matter more than my peers or are they all equally important for success? People can be jealous sometimes when they see that you're more ambitious and goal-oriented than they are... so they avoid you or sabotage you. How do you establish perfect relationships with all of them in the sense that no one feels threatened by you and the boss is happy at the same time?

Certainly, at first, be modest and learn everything you can. But when it's time to take on a project that will make you more visible, take it. Your best way to get noticed at first is to make other people look good - make them successful, do your job well, so they can do their jobs well.
OK. And how should I act with my direct boss? Modest and meek or confident and energetic?

dress for one or two levels higher than where you are

Are you talking about clothes? If yes, I intend to always look professional...

The best way to go places is to work hard and network.
What do you mean by "go places"? Get promoted? Work hard and network sounds logical. I just hate to think that my career would depend on other people and how much they like me and are willing to help me... regardless of my professional skills.

It meant to improve on your positions in your career. For example, one of my improvements when I moved from one place to another is that I went from middle management to executive management. When you network, you have to ensure that you sell yourself and impress them with your knowledge and capabilities. When a suitable job comes up, you will come to mind and they will head hunt you.

OK, guys please stop hijacking my thread.

That's your problem. You think you're entitled to order people around. Wow, I feel so privileged to be able to post on your thread.

OK, you did say please. Sorry. I hope, one day, that you can forgive me.

So... what does everybody think of Britney's new hairstyle? And who is the father of Anna Nicole's baby? Any thoughts??

• Author
RecordProducer
It meant to improve on your positions in your career. For example, one of my improvements when I moved from one place to another is that I went from middle management to executive management. When you network, you have to ensure that you sell yourself and impress them with your knowledge and capabilities. When a suitable job comes up, you will come to mind and they will head hunt you.
Hm... will THEY hunt you or should YOU hunt them? Congrats on your executive manager's position. :)

OK, who do you leave an impression on? The management or your peers?

That's your problem. You think you're entitled to order people around. Wow, I feel so privileged to be able to post on your thread.

OK, you did say please. Sorry. I hope, one day, that you can forgive me.

So... what does everybody think of Britney's new hairstyle? And who is the father of Anna Nicole's baby? Any thoughts??

Magic, a thread is started for the purpose of discussing a certain topic. When you start filling in pages with one-liners about yourself, you divert the topic that's important to the thread starter. If you want to talk about something else, start another thread. It has nothing to do with any "privillege." You know I love your sense of humor... so post something funny. ;)

You think you're entitled to order people around.

Now THIS has to do with the topic I started! :laugh:
justagirlforever

Over the past 5 years, my salary has quadrupled.

Not hard considering I change careers from a veterinary nurse (really not paid much at all) to working in finance.

It doubled straight away moving from one to the other - where I had no experience. But picked up quickly and got several promotions and salary increases over the past 5 years here. And yes, I mean straightforward salary. Not taking into consideration benefits or bonus. And we don't get commission, so couldn't count anyway.

But time to move on, so I'll be looking at the job market again soon :)

• Author
RecordProducer
Over the past 5 years, my salary has quadrupled.

Not hard considering I change careers from a veterinary nurse (really not paid much at all) to working in finance.

It doubled straight away moving from one to the other - where I had no experience. But picked up quickly and got several promotions and salary increases over the past 5 years here. And yes, I mean straightforward salary. Not taking into consideration benefits or bonus. And we don't get commission, so couldn't count anyway.

But time to move on, so I'll be looking at the job market again soon :)

Wow! That's inspirational, too. :) So you doubled your salary within 5 years in the your current company? Is it a big company?

So what were your secrets for success? How did you get along with people? How did you behave?

justagirlforever

Thanks :) It's actually a relatively small company. But fast growing with lots of potential and gave me the opportunity to prove myself within my own space and my own pace - and go into more or less whichever direction I chose.

For me the key has been my attitude & the people I work with. I have utmost respect and admiration (and received inspiration from) for my boss (and MD of the company). I know I’ve been very fortunate – but I also knew what I wanted. And when I came for the interview, I said "I want this job".

I walked out and received a phone call within an hour to offer it to me. Which completely bowled me over because I had zero related experience – and walking into a financial world I had no concept of. But I knew it's what I wanted to do at the time. And just did it.

I gave it my all and received the same in return. Which again, is something many people can't say and go unappreciated and unfulfilled at work.

So I'd say the key (for me) is to know what you want, respect the people you work with and ensure you enjoy what you do. Because when you enjoy sometime, it's not a chore. And after all, we (OK, most of us) spend the majority of our existence working – so we might as well make the most of it!

(Unfortunately - or perhaps fortunately because it's just time for a change - my current boss and CEO of the company is a complete scumbag I have zero respect for. And no matter which direction I move into, I'll still ultimately have to report to him and work fairly closely with. I so wish I could just rise above that (as in, not let it affect me), but I can't. Perhaps I'll make a thread about that and how other people deal with situations like that)

Hm... will THEY hunt you or should YOU hunt them? Congrats on your executive manager's position. :)

OK, who do you leave an impression on? The management or your peers?

Thanks, although I made a personal decision and changed career paths since that time. I wanted to kick-back and enjoy life a little better so I'm currently consulting. It's nice to be your own company. :)

Both peers and management. Peers and management will move from firm to firm and be either looking for good people or have information leading to good jobs at other firms.