Job not as described..is it a bait and switch?

I just started a job at a well known global company. So i'm all excited before hand even though it is an admin assist..or at least that was what I was told:rolleyes: . I have no exp. in finance, trading, investments any of that stuff..i do have general office experience though..but I'm talking basic clerical work like phones, copying, nothing heavy. I got offered this "newly created" position and was even more excited when I heard the good salary. Well I just got finished my first day..wont even start doing any work till the end of the week bc my boss is out and today all I was given were huge stacks of papers to read all day about hedge funds and trading..this is my supposed training? Not to mention the computer programs wich no one has showed me yet. I find out that my "clerical work" is..being the admin to 3 managers, troublshooting calls for financial advisors:confused:(which they now do themselevs)..and now I am also a contact "coordinator" and person for another advisor who does'nt even work at my office. That was thrown at me this morning when he called me telling me I had been assigned as his point person and I would have to meet with him. I met with him..of course now hes thinking I have prior financial experience..which I had to inform him that I don't. His training is 2 handouts talking about auditing, hedge funds, control groups none of which I have any clue what they mean. My problem here is that he didn't have a "contact" person before me so now I'm volunterrd. So all together I have what 4 titles now. Then he goes to tell me theres 2 other coordinators he needs and hes assuming it will be me but he needs to speak to my manager first who isnt in the office. So my question is my manager, this guy, whoever they can do this? This is NOT basic clerical work and I am doing more then admin work and not for one but about 7 different people. There's one other admin in the office who says she knows nothing about wat im doing bc she dosnt have all this work. Is this a bait and switch? I took this job bc it is a very well respected huge company but most importantly bc I expected it to be a what was described to me and since I am in grad school I dont need to be extremely stressed at work. Why would they even attempt to give me all these responsibilites knowing I prob won't be able to do them and have no background in them. Should I stick it out to the end of the week and not even go back? Should I explain to my manager that these 2 coordinator positions that all of a sudden havebeen thrown at me were never discussed during my interviews and I dont feel as though I can do it?

Yes, of course, be honest about your lack of experience and your concern about these additional responsibilities that you aren't qualified to do.

hey if the moneys good I say just do it. Ive worked to jobs in the past year both newly created jobs. One job they just through me out there to go work with no training it was sink or swim. Its the same in the new job I'm doing and I do pretty much every thing from billing to tech support in this new job so it runs the gambit. the point is these jobs are never what they seem the most important thing is are they paying you what they said they would. are the hours what they promised. are you getting the benefits you were promised and do u think u can keep this job as far as job security. Look just rise to the occasion, dont stress urself out just try and learn it all ask questions dont give up. only quit this job if u get another job that pays better that u can switch to imeadetly with no loss of wage.

Well you have a couple of options. You can explain your issues with the work you have been assigned and they will probably tell you that you can either take it or leave it. Or you can try to tough it out and learn the trade with the hopes that it can develop into something better later. Sometimes being thrown into the deep end can be a good thing. Especially if they give you lots of responsibility. You might end up learning a lot more and making more valuable contacts than you would had this just been a clerical job.

But you have your other responsibilities to keep in mind. Do you think that you can handle the work load and how long until you learn the ropes and can do the job? If it is going to interfere with your schooling then I'd seriously consider not keeping the job or at the very least talking to the person who hired you and explaining your concerns.

• Author
Yes, of course, be honest about your lack of experience and your concern about these additional responsibilities that you aren't qualified to do.

They know that I have NO experience in finance or with any of this. My hiring manager clearly knows what my experience is bc it's on my resume..no lying on it either.

• Author

And what if I don't get the work and can't handle it..I get fired? I'm not a quitter...but Im not going to be taken advantage of either and I know myself..i get overwhelmed very easily and on top of that I'm in grad school..that is a job in itself. I'm a good worker but am not going to be expected to do work that people with degrees in finance are doing. Also why hasnt the other admin been given any of these responsibilites? I'm gonna finish out the week and most likely wont go back next week. Better I quit now then waste my time and the companys time on more training.

I really dont get your logic, what are u studying in grad school. Look this is better than some job making photo copies, this sounds kind of cool. the problem with you is you feel like ur letting people down just try your best. and as far as ur grad school, whats the difference of working 20 hours making photo copies and being bored or working 20 hours and being chalenged. As far as u and the other admin maybe you get paid more, and if u get paid the same who do u think is going to have an easier time asking for a raise in a few months... look dude this is going to look great on a resume and if you get fired cause u cant handle just say to them I didnt have any background and I was just learning all this. Get out of this victim mentality. youd be a victum if they were paying you less, forcing you to work more or less hours then you wanted, or not getting benefits that were promised. So you went into be a pizza delivery guy and now they have you creating the menu, you should be proud, plus you knew it was a new posistion and admin posistions are known for ranging the gambit. You havnt even got out of training and ur already complaining. so really what are u going to grad school for a masters in Drama... u can do it dont quit

If the money's good, I'd advise you to buckle down and learn all you can. It's not brain surgery, you cannot kill or maim anyone. Find out quickly what the biggest pitfalls - of any type - might be and take special care to avoid them.

It's definitely NOT bait and switch, it's the old story of hiring managers who can't write a job description to save their lives and don 't have a training or on-boarding process worthy of the name. They are dealing with you in good faith and giving you opportunity. They're just klutzy at management. If this is more opportunity than you want, then now's the time to resign and sign up for that job delivering pizza.

By the way, I've never found that lower-paid jobs are less stress. On the contrary. One of my most stressful ever jobs was being a counter girl at Pioneer Chicken. I'd rather run a big manufacturing operation or a major development program.

If you are going to remain in this job, please remember that if you're not properly licensed, you cannot provide advice. You may want to discuss with whomever is your direct line of reporting, the compliance guidelines associated to your job.

RecordProducer
Well I just got finished my first day..
Did anyone notice this sentence? :laugh:

I am doing more then admin work and not for one but about 7 different people.

Are you doing it? :confused:

I am sorry, but this was your observation after only one day. Things will change and you might get a lot of support and learn something. :)

How did you get the job? Did they like your personality? What was the "trick"? Cuz obviously you don't have much experience... May I ask how much your salary is and which part of the country are you (like north east coast, mid-west, west coast, etc.)?

Good questions, RecordProducer! i would be happy if i got a job like this (not that i have much experience in finance, but i would try.)

justagirlforever

I too came into big city finance with zero experience (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1097937&postcount=24). Surely they saw your cv and know you don't have the experience (if you don't have it). Did your job offer and contact include a job description - outlining your initial responsibilities? You do have a contract right?

See how things go for at least a week and then reassess the situation. If it's a decent company, your line manager will ask you for some feedback after your first week and discuss your thoughts and findings.

Best of luck :)

If you think that an employer is playing the bait and switch on you after only your first day on a job then I would say to you that you are going to get an eye opener in the next coming 20 years of your life..

Have you ever heard the term overworked and underpaid ?? Well that term applies for about 95% of the workforce..

Work is hard.. it isn't easy and is certainly isn't something that you get to tell the people that hire you on how you want to do the job for them.

they tell you.. or you quit and go find another job more suited for yourself that you would feel better about..

Have you ever held a real job like this before ?

I would think that you need to wait this out for a bit.. at least the first week and then see where things sit.. Maybe when your boss sets your job duties then you will feel better about it all.

I must say that I think the timing of your first day being a day that your immediate supervisor (the guy who hired you) was not in the office wasn't fair to you. I think your start date should have been delayed until Monday in order for him to be there, and to catch up after being out of the office.

The fact that others are telling you what is expected of you, and that you have been "assigned" to them is suspect to me. People will take advantage of making you feel their work is your work sometimes. Let your actual boss, or whomever hired you and interviewed you, be the one to explain who is who and what is what. Explain where the job duties begin and end ultimately.

You are understandably overwhelmed and feeling that failure is looming, despite your complete honesty concerning your experience and what you see as your abilities. Hopefully today you can get some answers and a better feel of what is expected of you.

On a good note, I wonder if your employer sees something in you that screams "even without experience in this field I see so much potential in this person." :D I have, more often than not, been hired with no experience and soared in my professions. What you could learn in this position may have lifelong value to you. Give it some time, at least 30 days. Many employers have probationary periods for new hires to allow the employer and the employee to test the "fit." At that point either can sever the ties with no hard feelings as most all employment is considered to be "at will."

Good luck to you and I sincerely hope that by the end of business tomorrow you will have a much better idea of what to expect.

• Author
Did anyone notice this sentence? :laugh:

Are you doing it? :confused:

I am sorry, but this was your observation after only one day. Things will change and you might get a lot of support and learn something. :)

How did you get the job? Did they like your personality? What was the "trick"? Cuz obviously you don't have much experience... May I ask how much your salary is and which part of the country are you (like north east coast, mid-west, west coast, etc.)?

How I get this job..couldnt tell u.I'm wondering that myself...I'm pretty and young..maybe that's how lol. Point of the matter is this isnt an admin positon bottom line and no one person cannnot be an admin to 3 people, a control officers lol answering questions about finances and then supporting 2 others on top of that.. Oh and I'm into day 4 and I spoke my manager who didnt show today again and he told me that yes all these tasks would be on me and it should take me a week or 2 to get the hang of things. I also was trained today by 3 diff people for a grand total of 15 min each and was told well you're just gonna have to memoraize this stuff..well I guess on top of my research papers for school I'll memorize this stuff over the weekend:rolleyes: . I sat there for 3 days while my manager was out without any training and then all of a sudden today they decided to train me one after the other..rite. I'm just disgusted thats all.

please answer the questions what part of the country r u in North East? South East? Midwest? West? and how much are they paying you an hour...

Do you have any role models around you ?.. maybe your parents or an older brother or sister ?

You seem to need guidance on a certain level that maybe only someone that knows you can provide... an elder.. someone that can guide you..

a persons work ethics are honed at your young age..

• Author

yes art ciritic.. i mean dad lol i was guided already by my family to give it another week. And yes the other jobs I had were "real" I didnt know there were fake jobs. So yea guess ill go in and give it another week..and if i still feel the same im quitting. There is such a thing as certain jobs not being for certain people u know..

• Author
please answer the questions what part of the country r u in North East? South East? Midwest? West? and how much are they paying you an hour...

north..and i dont get paid hourly i get salary

Btw, glitzy, what you described is an admin assistants job in the Securities Industry. If you're going to continue, get licensed.

justagirlforever
and no one person cannnot be an admin to 3 people, a control officers lol answering questions about finances and then supporting 2 others on top of that..

:rolleyes: you clearly want an easy life by the sounds of it. Since when is "can't" something positive? An opportunity to turn it into "can"? Or a "lets see if I can". Can't is only a restriction you enforce yourself. And you're limiting yourself big time.....you can't ride the "young and pretty" wave forever you know :cool: