what does "domestic partner" mean?

ratherbbiking

Kind of a gen question for anyone who might know. Last week, I got a memo saying that the comp I work for will be considering adding domestic partners to the health plan (it already exists for spouses) later in the year when the health plan is renewed. Is the term "domestic partner" only referring to someone in a same-sex relationship? I tried asking the HR person but she left early. I'm wondering b/c by the time the plan gets renewed, my girlfriend could potentially move in w/ me (I'm a guy). Does this mean that she could be covered under my health plan as a domestic partner? Just wondering if anyone on this board would know the answer.

As far as I know, it means same-sex couples. They aren't going to provide coverage for your live-in girlfriend - you can get married to get that kind of coverage, while gay people can't.

My previous secretary somehow became a "domestic partner" for purposes of health insurance coverage on her fiance's insurance policy with Cigna - and no, they're not same-sex. I believe many health insurance companies, and employers, have decided to include designations beyond the traditional "spouse" for various reasons... they're ahead of the government in this regard.

In California "domestic partner" is a legal term of art. I believe you have to register with the state to be a domestic partner. I think you also have to live with your partner for five years before you can register. I believe that in CA heterosexual couples also can register just like same sex couples. It entitles you to many of the benefits (and obligations) as married couples enjoy. You should research what it means in your state and if your state happens to be CA then you should research it too because this is not legal advice that I'm giving you.

In California "domestic partner" is a legal term of art. I believe you have to register with the state to be a domestic partner. I think you also have to live with your partner for five years before you can register. I believe that in CA heterosexual couples also can register just like same sex couples. It entitles you to many of the benefits (and obligations) as married couples enjoy. You should research what it means in your state and if your state happens to be CA then you should research it too because this is not legal advice that I'm giving you.

Yes, however, the insurance company AND employer can set their OWN definitions to cover heterosexual couples, without registration. These entities are providing greater protections than those guaranteed by law. I think it's a step in the right direction.