Volunteering for losers?

I'm just going to have a pointless rant here. For the past six months I've been volunteering free-of-charge for an international development charity. I usually go in about 4 days a week and work near full time hours. This week they advertised a good job with a good salary that I could easily have done but when I asked about it they had already offered it to somebody who has been there on a temporary contract for four months and is just going permanent. By law they are obliged to advertise it anyway, even though its already a done deal. I'm kinda pissed off that the person who has been working his ass off for nothing gets overlooked in favour of someone who is already paid for their time. I only get told that my time and effort is "appreciated" but "appreciation" alone doesn't pay the bills. Maybe its fair and maybe it isn't. I just feel like I'm being taken for granted here :mad:

I only get told that my time and effort is "appreciated" but "appreciation" alone doesn't pay the bills. Maybe its fair and maybe it isn't. I just feel like I'm being taken for granted here :mad:

You've given this charity 6 months of your life for free, and that's extremely generous of you, but it sounds as though it's time to take the skills you've acquired to another organisation where you'll be paid for your time. Stay on good terms with the charity though, as it could give you a useful reference.