When does exaggeration become lying? does it ?

In terms of finding a job in my field, it's so competitive where I live. Anyone who's anyone can have their position easily replaced with one job posting online. Ridiculously as it may sound, the places where I've worked I see idiots who get payed very well yet their performance at the job is sub-par.

The more I go on interviews, the more I realize how pretentious these job interviews really get (such as giving the company and the position a higher status by claiming they've had X client similar to mine on the resume and making the position seem more complicated/extravagent/important than it really is that it requires a genius to work it....and on my end, in return I wise-up by exaggerating my experiences, and follow the dont ask, dont tell rule and adding optimism/enthusiasm to the position.

But anyway, today before I realized it i wound up having a phone interview with a guy. Still I didn't get the job.

There's obviously something I'm doing wrong or not doing at all, or perhaps my status as a student is killing me, or maybe the way I market myself is already my downfall. I'm in the design field, on numerous interviews I've run into interviewers who only looked at my works loved it, but dont take the time to read my resume. I've had ones who loved my resume but flip through my works as if it was a magazine. And I've had those that dont even take the time to look closely at my resume in order to realize I havent my diploma yet until this spring.

And best of all, the majority of the time I break it to them I'm still in school their smile turns into a frown. If my works and/or resume did enough to bring me in for an interview, why should the interviewer have any doubt in their mind I'm not capable of doing the job just cause I'm working my to my diploma?

Quite honestly I dont know what I have to do anymore or If i should change the way I market myself by adding lies to my exaggerations in order to be hired in my field in this god damn city!? Frankly I'm sick and tired of seeing skepticism among my interviewers, its getting on my last nerve...seems to me these interviewers have too much time on their hands.

what do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, how close are you to graduating? Are you graduating this spring? Or are you just looking for summer or part-time work?

Second, not mentioning that you are a student in your resume and then trying to slip it in during an interview = big no-no! They realize that you have exaggerated your credentials and they wonder how far it's gone. The trick to stretching your resume is to pull out every potential skill possible. For instance, if you've used a computer program alot, but don't feel that you have enough to qualify for what they're looking for list it anyway (but put some proficiency beside it....it shows honesty.)

Third, there may be something that you're doing unconsciously in the interview process that you are not aware of. You may think that you nailed it, but they can't get over the fact that you used the word "yeah", rather than "yes", for example. Go see a job counselor and have them assess your interview skills.

As for the incompetent idiots in jobs, they will be exposed eventually. Ignore them whenever possible and concentrating on improving your skills so that you can downsize them one day! :-)

• Author
First of all, how close are you to graduating? Are you graduating this spring? Or are you just looking for summer or part-time work?

This spring actually. Im looking for a full-time position in a company within my field.

Second, not mentioning that you are a student in your resume and then trying to slip it in during an interview = big no-no! They realize that you have exaggerated your credentials and they wonder how far it's gone. The trick to stretching your resume is to pull out every potential skill possible. For instance, if you've used a computer program alot, but don't feel that you have enough to qualify for what they're looking for list it anyway (but put some proficiency beside it....it shows honesty.)

I dont think i'd ever lie about my diploma on my resume, but you'd be surprised I've been on countless interviews where people immediately get skeptical/silent shock when they realize you're still in school.

Ill tell you an interesting, yet true story: one of my friends also in my field, was doing a temp-to-perm thing. He did his job extremely well. Right when they were about to hire him, they asked him to see his resume and inquired about his graduation date not being on the resume. When he told them he'll be graduating in half a year, they told him to give them a call then. He lost his chance to work with that company...(the truth finally came out a week ago, before then he said he chose to stop working for them).

But anyway i think the main impression most interviewers get when they hear you're still in school is inexperienced. A lot of times your work experience can mean everything to getting hired, or it could also mean your diploma or the school you went to.

Third, there may be something that you're doing unconsciously in the interview process that you are not aware of. You may think that you nailed it, but they can't get over the fact that you used the word "yeah", rather than "yes", for example. Go see a job counselor and have them assess your interview skills.

There were some past job interviews that i believed i nailed. But a lot of times the interviewer leads you on and gives you high hope you aced it right before you leave...if you ask me it's all pretentious BS.

You could be right about me doing something unconsciously. Perhaps the concept of 'the less you talk, the more you know'. The mere idea that the more an interviewee talks on the interview, the less knowledgeable they are about something. I think my interest in the job conflicts with what they expect from me.

sure its great to be enthused, optimistic, and show interest in the position and show what i can do for the company - but is it too much?

Perhaps a better way of acing the interview is rather talk less, yet present more knowledge regarding the position than they expect?

(There's a thin line between being a sociable guy and a stiff who only cares about the specs of a job...maybe i need to find that line?)

I guess what im trying to ask is should i show more skepticism on my part in regards to the position -- (basically having a bigger ego) that my required expertise is that much important in fulfilling their position?

As for the incompetent idiots in jobs, they will be exposed eventually. Ignore them whenever possible and concentrating on improving your skills so that you can downsize them one day! :-)

That could probably work if i had the chance to prove myself in X workplace. Unfortunately I know most places dont like to fire people that have been with them for so long...even if they're doing mediocre performance on the job.

I can only give you my experiences in the past when hiring people although not in your industry. If I'm looking for permanent staff, I won't bother hiring a student due to their penchant for not wanting to remain after they graduate. Many students are only interested in particular positions as either very short-term stepping stones or as a quick way to make a dollar. Also, many employers don't have the leisure to wait until spring. Most people need replacements immediately.

You might want to ensure that your graduation date is on your CV. Also, on the first page of objectives, ensure that you express clearly that you're looking for something permanent for when you graduate in the spring. You may have more luck as your grad date gets closer.

• Author
I can only give you my experiences in the past when hiring people although not in your industry. If I'm looking for permanent staff, I won't bother hiring a student due to their penchant for not wanting to remain after they graduate. Many students are only interested in particular positions as either very short-term stepping stones or as a quick way to make a dollar. Also, many employers don't have the leisure to wait until spring. Most people need replacements immediately.

You make a good point there, i havent looked at it like that but it does make a lot of sense. If that is the case i hope that doesnt ring true for every employer out there. But anyway, that is not how i look at it when i apply for a full-time position. I want to land a stable job in my field and be financially set...getting my own place, etc. But it doesnt mean that I wont plan on moving on after a few years if better job opportunities arise.

Again another obstacle i face is competition in my field, some companies go through extranneous candidate review processes - basically getting the best bang for their buck.

An interesting reason why some interviewers dont realize im still in school is because i place my education before my experience on my resume. The case is i dont want them to find out unless they bring it up. And i have noticed I've been getting more job interviews with that kind of layout VS not with my old layout (education before experience).