I think that my job could be made into a part-time position. Should I mention this to my supervisor? Or is this how a lot of office jobs are?

Of the few people I have disclosed this to, most tell me to keep quiet and keep getting my paycheck, but I feel guilty getting paid to do nothing, basically, for half the day.

my job is the same way about 70% of the year. Just keep your mouth shut. or you could always ask for more work if you're bored. That is my problem. I get so bored. I wish I could have a more fullfilling job.

Or get paid full time for working part time.

• Author

As tax season ramps up things will get busier here. In fact, I am seasonal anyways. I only work during tax season at this office. But half of my job is just gone since intangible taxes are not required in my state any more. So it gets REALLY boring. I hate having to occupy myself here when I could be getting housework done. Or working at my second job doing the freelancing.

laRubiaBonita

i think alot of jobs are similar.

my job, when i get busy i am slammed, but generally i am not all that busy.

I do have to physically be here to get phones, attend to walk-ins etc.... this accounts for a large percentage of my time.

Think of yourself in this situation.. it is for upper management to make those kind of decisions..

Your job description isn't about telling them when they can save money by eliminating your full time position.

Also.. if you go part time you will lose your benefits..assuming they give you some..

• Author

God I had no idea. I always assumed that everyone else was doing work while I was bored to death. Maybe other people are better at occupying their time.

• Author

Also.. if you go part time you will lose your benefits..assuming they give you some..

Nope, I don't get benefits. In fact, I've never had health insurance my entire adult life, even though I've had plenty of full time jobs. None of my previous jobs ever even offered health insurance.

I think that my job could be made into a part-time position. Should I mention this to my supervisor? Or is this how a lot of office jobs are?

Of the few people I have disclosed this to, most tell me to keep quiet and keep getting my paycheck, but I feel guilty getting paid to do nothing, basically, for half the day.

i recently started a part time job, something to keep me busy on the days i'm not freelancing or running my workshops. the bosses said they were desperate for someone because they were rushed off their feet trying to keep on top of everything.

yet there is so little actual work i am astonished they can afford me. i can only conclude these people have never had a real job or been genuinely busy. i've usually finished what i'm required to do by about 9.30am. 10.30am on a tough day. if it was full time i'd quit. and i feel more quilty about thinking my employers are workshy gob****es than i do about allowing them to pay me to be one too.

• Author

It seems to me that when I freelance I get paid for what I do. Working at an office job seems to be more like compensation for having to spend 8 hours a day being mildly bored and occassionally doing something worthwhile.

Maybe I'm not enough of a go-getter. I feel bad asking people for work, too, though I do it...I feel like I'm bothering them or something.

Maybe that's a separte self-esteem issue. Or lack of confidence.

bluechocolate

The thing is you may think that your job can be made part time & indeed that may be the case - for you. Your employer may find however that when hiring someone else that they don't or can't work as efficiently as you. Or even worse, they'll divvy up the work amongst others & abolish the position altogether!

You could ask to go on hourly pay (if you aren't already) & then have the option to leave for the day when your work is finished, though they might not like that - setting a precedent & such.

• Author

You could ask to go on hourly pay (if you aren't already) & then have the option to leave for the day when your work is finished, though they might not like that - setting a precedent & such.

I'm already on hourly pay. I think the CPAs would be jealous that I would get to leave early all the time.

• Author

I was just telling NTB this in an email yesterday...that I kind of made a mistake when I started this job. I started in December and busted my butt for 2 months. The thing is that my job is tied to this master list. I kind of zoomed through the list and I only have like 20-25 things left on the list. But I'm supposed to work here until May.

Maybe they'll just make my position end a lot sooner than May.

If the company is worth their salt then when you blow thru the master list they will just create a new list or find out how they can make room for you inside the company in another position..

Good managers/owners know when they are in the presence of a good worker and snatch them right up..

• Author

Haha, I don't feel like a good worker. I just do my job and shut up. But I suppose the truth is that not very many people are like that.

This job is sort of outside of my field of expertise anyways. Accounting is not my forte, I just happen to be relatively good at math.

But I think about what I could do with a few extra hours in the day. Laundry. Scrubbing the grout in my bathroom. Vacuuming my curtains. I actually do enjoy these tasks, moreso than office work.

Maybe I should clean houses.

laRubiaBonita
But I think about what I could do with a few extra hours in the day. Laundry. Scrubbing the grout in my bathroom. Vacuuming my curtains. I actually do enjoy these tasks, moreso than office work.

Maybe I should clean houses.

Yuck...... i love cleaning my house, but strangers mess and trash and pubies :sick: ... no way!

• Author
Yuck...... i love cleaning my house, but strangers mess and trash and pubies :sick: ... no way!

You're right, what was I thinking? I love cleaning my house, but nobody else's. We cleaned out the garage yesterday. Now I can fill it with junk again.

I don't want to ask people for work. They're all stressed out about tax season here and they hate getting interrupted just to give me work.

laRubiaBonita
I don't want to ask people for work. They're all stressed out about tax season here and they hate getting interrupted just to give me work.

just give free advice on LS... it is usually an ungreatful job you know......

I have to come realize that a lot of people don't work efficently.

I have always been a fast worker and it has always been a problem because I blow through my daily tasks in about 5 hours or so when it takes another person 8 or more.

many office jobs are like this. i was once on a project where 15 programmers were sitting around twiddling their thumbs making $70-$100 per hour doing nothing cause there was no work to do. it was a large project for a company with very deep pockets. this went on for 3 or 4 months until things got going.

• Author
many office jobs are like this. i was once on a project where 15 programmers were sitting around twiddling their thumbs making $70-$100 per hour doing nothing cause there was no work to do. it was a large project for a company with very deep pockets. this went on for 3 or 4 months until things got going.

Well it's good to see you back, old man.

The last time I told an employer that my job wasn't really a critical need they wrote it, and me, out of the budget!

• Author
The last time I told an employer that my job wasn't really a critical need they wrote it, and me, out of the budget!

At this point it wouldn't be a bad thing for me to get written out of the budget. Then I would be free to find a job where I'm at least happy to spend my free time. My position is temporary anyways, so it's not big deal to me if I get fired or not. I'm already looking for a permanent position somewhere else.

• Author

So I am really considering talking to my supervisor about my job. Even if I do get fired, I feel like it would only be fair. I hate the idea of this business spending money on me when they really don't need to.