would you be offended?

I did some work as a consultant just before Christmas for a small firm and had fully told them that I wanted to move into the type of work that they were doing. I went the extra mile, working until 2am in the morning for them despite having a separate, full-time job.

They said loved my work, asked me to their Xmas party etc, sent me a Christmas card and we got on really well.

Now I find out that they have advertised a position at their company and they didn't contact me to give me a heads up.

Would you be offended?

Would you be offended?

Maybe it was a simple oversight on their part. Did you drink a bit too much at the Christmas party?

In the states, there are issues with hiring without advertising the position.

It is possible that someone forgot to contact you about the open position? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Would I be offended? Not really, sometimes it is not worth it. It is quite possible that the company was being nice to you while you were there but don't really want you there.

I would apply just in case to show interests but keep that in mind that the impression was good but not great that they call you.

In the states, there are issues with hiring without advertising the position.

Good point. I do agree that it would have been so easy (and considerate) to drop you a line about it. Oh well. Sometimes everything is too much trouble.

Don't waste one minute being offended and go get 'em tiger! You already know you would be an asset for them.

And besides, you have no way of figuring out who took care of sending out the advertisement. Generally, it's not the big boss but the receptionnists. Who are probably overworked.

I wouldn't be offended, but then again in the city where I live, even if the company knows about an opening coming up, they still have got to publicize it because the hiring is done through an agency and they aren't about to go outside established channels no matter HOW much they like your work.

just something to think about ...

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Update: I rang them. They were looking for a marketing person but the job didn't make that clear.

I got a job with them anyway and start in a coupla weeks.