Shouid I let employer know I am starting Grad School

I am starting grad school next month for my masters in elementary education. I currently have a basic assistant job at a law firm which I hate. Only reason I'm still there is bc I have rent due each month lol and when I graduated college I had no clue what I wanted to do. I plan on leaving soon but most likely until then should I even bother letting my boss or other coworkers know about me attending school? All of my classes are in the evening. Also when I go on job interviews, which I've been doing, should I let them know while I'm on the interview that I'm in grad school. I've been interviewing for office type jobs since since that's where most of my experience is. Thing is will future and even my current employer see it as a waste to hire me considering they know I will be gone in a about 2 years once I'm done school.

most professional offices do not consider furthering your education a waste of their time – in fact, some offer incentive to do just that, because they see it as an investment in their company.

tell your employers and your prospective employers that you're going to grad school. One, it shows that you're open to gaining more knowledge, and two, it helps them help you with your job in that they know what hours you're available.

I am starting grad school next month for my masters in elementary education. I currently have a basic assistant job at a law firm which I hate. Only reason I'm still there is bc I have rent due each month lol and when I graduated college I had no clue what I wanted to do. I plan on leaving soon but most likely until then should I even bother letting my boss or other coworkers know about me attending school? All of my classes are in the evening. Also when I go on job interviews, which I've been doing, should I let them know while I'm on the interview that I'm in grad school. I've been interviewing for office type jobs since since that's where most of my experience is. Thing is will future and even my current employer see it as a waste to hire me considering they know I will be gone in a about 2 years once I'm done school.

Hi,

As someone who has gone "all the way" through grad school (if I were really cynical, I would have said "survived" it :) ), whether you tell your employer or not depends on a lot of factors - perhaps most importantly, will it affect the quality of the work you do at your current job?

If it will but is done on your own time, then you probably should let them know. The previous poster is quite right that some firms look very kindly on someone getting more education. If not, then perhaps there is no reason to mention it at all.

As for interviewing for other jobs, I think it is a good idea to tell them but perhaps to clearly state that it's not something that happens during the day. During an interview, knowing that someone is taking classes outside of work is actually a plus rather than a minus - it means that this person is one who is serious about continually improving as an individual.