becoming a supervisor

Hi all,

I have been working days only in my job, Last week my boss asked me to go to nights and become the night supervisor... Fine I did this with a few perks

however tonight I have been watching them all and have seen more goofing off then anything so I had to say something (work in a high volume call centre

taxi's) The problem is that they are use to me being happy , laughing and goofing around while doing my job, never did they see me get mad and say anything in 2 years until tonight, I had to keep on chasing them back to there desks and getting them to take he calls, has to pull them out of the smoke room when they were not on breaks and just sitting there doing nothing while there are 22 calls on hold.

Here is where I need the advise, How do I keep my cool, not get so offended

and be there sup all in one? I feel like I am babysitting them all and I am hating this part of it all. they get snarky with me and all, Tonihgt my boss CALLED AND ASKED WHAT THE HELL WE WERE ALL DOING THERE AND WHY IS THE PHONES NOT BEING ANSWERD!!!! I GOT THE $HIT FOR THEM ALL!!!

Any advise will so be nice , I do like my job and I do not want to give up on it

so soon but I am feelign stressed right out!!!

Welcome to the world of Supervisor vs. co-worker. You need to establish a boundary now because you are in charge (and that means you are the one who gets $hit for all of them - that's why you get the few extra perks).

Since the holiday season is starting, you better establish your position now. It's flippin' cold out there and I can imagine that the calls are only going to increase over the next month. If you think you can't handle the stress of the position, you should probably let them know now. Although, I would suspect that they wouldn't have given you the opportunity if they didn't think you could handle it.

Good luck!

I've been through this same thing. It's really not easy. I would sit down with them, yes call a meeting. I would tell them them in a very friendly and informal way but at the same time a FIRM and no-nonsense way this:

(This part will be like you're talking to them like your co-workers.)

"Look guys, I know that it's weird that I was once one of your co-workers but now I'm your supervisor but the fact is that I am. I'm responsible for keeping us all on track and doing what we're supposed to do. Don't make me look bad guys, ok? Ha ha!

(And here get REALLY serious.Here you're talking like a manager or a supervisor.)

Now, you will each get one verbal warning if I see any of you dropping the ball. After that, it will be a written warning that will go on your permanent record. I would never want to be in the position of letting any of you go but if I have to, I will. I have to do my job. And you guys have to do yours. My boss was not happy when the phones weren't being answered. We can still have fun but we've got to get the job done first. Does any one have any questions or comments?"