Member of staffing doesn't accept feedback..giving me the s@#*s..

I have recently (along with another manager) provided some feedback to staff regarding their performance.

There has been one event that has come out of this that has upset me somewhat. One of the women that we gave the BEST feedback to is NOT happy about having received a "good" on one area of her work (one area out of about 15) and not a "very good" or "excellent".

Basically we explained to her the reasons we gave her this rating and she could NOT understand how she could possibly been given that rating. We gave her reasons and explained that we need to give her ideas on how she can improve, and that we all have things that we can do better. It seems to me that unless she received what she considers "perfect" feedback then she was never going to be happy.

Every other area of her work was rated "Very good" to "Excellent" and we told her that she is an asset to our team.

After the meeting she apparantly told colleagues that she has worked very hard and was "very disappointed" and "unhappy" with her feedback.

In fact, she has gone to another manager and expressed that she may ask for a review of the feedback we have given her.

If she does ask for a review, and it is granted, this will put manager against manager and cause all sorts of trouble..

Do you think this is a matter of a perfectionist not seeing where her weaknesses lie? Or perhaps she does not appreciate being given feedback by a person younger than herself?

She needs to lighten up! Good or very good - More or less the exact same thing! Bottom line, she got an overall GREAT review, so wtf is her problem? Yeah, she is probably a perfectionist and needs her ego stroked, alot!

It seems to me that unless she received what she considers "perfect" feedback then she was never going to be happy.

Do you think this is a matter of a perfectionist not seeing where her weaknesses lie? Or perhaps she does not appreciate being given feedback by a person younger than herself?

I see the problem partly as what you state - "never going to be happy." My guess is that it's not due to her being a perfectionist and it's also not due to age. Some people are never happy and I don't think it's your place to figure her out - let her personal friends/therapist/whatever do that. She may be just posturing with you so that next time you'll feel to afraid or awkward about giving her anything other than a perfect score.

Some parents are this way when it comes to their kids' grades. They have to argue about why a B should be an A, etc.

THe fact that you even responded to her - I realize you did it as a courtesy but at the same time, by feeding into it you legitimize it. Better to just let someone like this stew over it. My response would have been along the lines of, "Oh well."

You do not need to justify your reasoned evaluation of her performance unless for some reason you were biased or otherwise innaccurate. You were just doing your job and responding to her quibbling does not sound like part of your responsibilities.