1 month working as temp

I have been working as a temp for one month and they havent told me if they are going to keep me. I really dont fell comfortable with my supervisor, she always gives me a smirk instead of a nice smile.

Eversince i told my manager about my trainer treating me ugly, i have been getting bad vibes from my sup... I think that my sup got upset for complaining about my trainer.

Well, i took over my trainers position which was a good thing but my trainer was upset And on Friday that i had a lot of work she did not want to help me beacuse i think that she was trying to make me look bad like i couldnt handle the work... And it worked .. She did make me look bad.

My trainer was all happy the next day working in her position again... And i was kicked back off to being her assistant.

My trainer thinks im too slow and i think she told my sup and mang... And im thinking they think that too... But its hard to be making copies all morning standing up in heels... When my trainer is sitting down making the copies in the other room.

I have a feeling that they think im too slow for the job and it looks like they are not giving me a second chance to work on my own.

Its hard to tell if im going to be kept or not... My manager is nice to me but my sup seems like she doesnt like me.

How long to i have to wait-- for them to keep me or give me the boot? If they dont like me-- shouldnt they just sent me home... why make me wait this long.

Its hard to tell if they are going to keep me bc one day they will me happy with me and the next day giving me smirks.

I really enjoy this job and my assistant VP loves me alot.... PLEASE HELP im confuse.

quietintrovertgirl

I'm getting ready to use a temp agency because i'm furlough from my job for 3 months.The maxs i would stay at an assignment is 3 months after that the company better let me know yay or nay.

But its hard to be making copies all morning standing up in heels... When my trainer is sitting down making the copies in the other room.

Not quite what I'd call hard work!!! :eek:

Presuming that your Manager is responsible for the hire/fire of you, I'd go and speak to her again. Why are you swapping positions backwards and forwards with your 'trainer'?! What is she training you for? Her position? Is she leaving?

One month isn't very long to settle into a role. Usually permanent roles allow 3 months of training/settling in before the contract becomes permanent so that they can see how well you will settle in and pick things up.

...your first mistake was complaining about your trainer to your supervisor. Who do you think she's going to side with? You? I don't think so. Unless the trainer was verbally abusive, you really had no place to complain about a permanent employee.

Second-don't wear heels to work if you need to stand all day!

It seems to me, based on your post that you seem to be VERY SENSITIVE. Which, being in the staffing industry for over 15 years, is apparently a trait that many temps have. I cannot tell you how many times a temp came back to me after one day on the job---so and so is being mean, disprespectful, snooty, etc....get a backbone already. I've worked in places where people haven't been my best buddy--guess what? I dealt with it! That's the working world. Surprised? I bet!

Start looking for another position, you've burnt this bridge. Next time, do your job, quit complaining about permanent employees and wear comfortable shoes to work.

Good Luck.

napoleandynamite

guest:

most temps are "sensitive" because they had trouble holding out a job in the first place. they probably see a co-worker's hostile behavior as a warning sign of getting fired. it's hard to get a backbone when everything goes wrong in your job.

I have the same sensitivity too, but that's because I got let go from so many jobs, that when something goes wrong at my current job, I assume things are just going to wind up the same as usual-getting fired.

It's depressing for some of us who have a bachelor/master's degree, take a job that requires only a high school degree, and fail miserably at even that. With my employment history, I wish I never went to college. I can't even keep a secretarial job that retired housewives/hairdressers/etc can do.

So please, try to be understanding of people on the other side. what you say makes sense, but there is a reason for it.

• Author
...your first mistake was complaining about your trainer to your supervisor. Who do you think she's going to side with? You? I don't think so. Unless the trainer was verbally abusive, you really had no place to complain about a permanent employee.

Second-don't wear heels to work if you need to stand all day!

It seems to me, based on your post that you seem to be VERY SENSITIVE. Which, being in the staffing industry for over 15 years, is apparently a trait that many temps have. I cannot tell you how many times a temp came back to me after one day on the job---so and so is being mean, disprespectful, snooty, etc....get a backbone already. I've worked in places where people haven't been my best buddy--guess what? I dealt with it! That's the working world. Surprised? I bet!

Start looking for another position, you've burnt this bridge. Next time, do your job, quit complaining about permanent employees and wear comfortable shoes to work.

Good Luck.

Guest: You make a lot of sense But i got a majority vote to tell my mang about my trainer mistreating and not training my properly.

i am the 3rd temp in a month... So what does that say about my trainer?

This a professional job and co-workers are suppose to be generous with others.... Everyone is Nice Except her.

She prolly felt threatened that i was going to take over And thats why she is scaring all the temps away.

Shes not going to get it her way bc im going to hang in there... Im not a quiter and she is going to have to deal with me.

Still-the other employees are using you to get at her--still not your place. If they have issues with one of their coworkers, let them go to the manager and complain..You have to remember, you are a temp..not a permanent employee, and the way to make sure that you do not become a permanent employee is to complain about a permanent employee.

All you need to do to get a perm position is to show up every day-10 minutes early, do what you are told, don't complain, and be agreeable. That's it--nothing more.

You can complain about the perm person once you get a perm job. Nobody wants to hire someone who is already having issues while working as a temp.

Do NOT become the scapegoat, do not let other people have you do their dirty work. You must always remember, there are no friends in business, people are always, ALWAYS going to look out for themselves first. Do not become the person that these people use for their own means. Trust me on this--people look out for number one first, and excuse my language, but sh**t roles downhill. If someone is going to take the blame for any disruptions in the office, it will be you before it's the other person. Let her dig her own grave, because, she eventually will.

And napoleandynamtie-you need to look within yourself to see why you are not successful in finding a position which reflects your education. If you are consistantly being fired, there's a reason for it. And, just some info--being a secretary or an admin is hard work, and to talk down on it as you have, is insulting to people who are professionals in those roles. Housewives or hairdressers work hard at what they do, and I don't care how much education you have, you never, ever, need to look down your nose at other peoples life or callings. It's very disrespectful. Maybe that is what people are picking up on.

I've run across many "over-educated-under-experienced" people like you in my career, and it is very rare that I've met with one who has a firm grasp on what is actually needed to succeed out in the "real world" so to say. It's not a suprise that they have the same problems you have. If you would like me to look at your resume, or maybe guide you in your job search, let me know, I can help. But, you need to get off of the pedestal you've put yourself on first. I will help you if you ask for it. Good luck.