Question about temp work...

I took a job through a temp agency, with the intentions of doing it until something better came along. I recently graduated college, and have been having trouble finding jobs in my desired field. I started Tuesday - the work and working environment are not what I expected. It is for a company that takes files and converts them into computer documents. My job is sorting through the files to prepare them for scanning - very mundane, and it's an unprofessional workplace. It's also full-time, second-shift, and I figured it would get in the way of my applying and interviewing for better jobs. My dad suggested maybe asking for part-time hours instead, so I'd make some money and have more time. I called the temp agency yesterday morning to ask about negotiating my hours, but my agent wasn't there, so they said they'd have her call me later. I decided later that day that I just didn't want to do it - part of that was I was afraid if it didn't get resolved Friday, I'd be stuck working the next week full-time. I called back and told them I'd work that day, but was there any way I could leave the job after that? I explained that I wasn't comfortable in the environment and that I thought it would impact my finding more suitable work. My agent had said before that 2 days notice was good, but if you give them 1, it's usually enough. The woman at the desk said that they'd just go ahead and consider that my notice, but she didn't seem very happy about it. From talking to some of the other temps at the job, they have a hard time keeping temps for the reasons I mentioned.

But, here's the thing - yesterday, work wasn't that bad. I just wasn't used to that kind of environment, and the hours were a pain. I talked to some of the people there, who said that I should've given it more time and since I'm leaving in good standing, I could always ask to come back if I didn't find anything else. I'm now worried that what if I don't find anything better soon - the work is really boring, but with the pay, I think it beats waitressing or cashiering. It's definitely not the job for me, but I'm kind of regretting giving it up, and wondering if it is really true - that they'd let me come back if I didn't get some other leads soon. I know this is a real change of heart, but I just now started talking to the employees and feeling comfortable in the place. I wouldn't want to do it full-time, but maybe a few days a week. I just hope I'm still on good terms with the temp agency. Do you think that I should bring this up when I ask about my paycheck, or that it's too late at this point?

Also, I talked to a former boss a few weeks ago just to check in and let him know I'm looking for work, since he has some connections. He had wanted me to work at his store's going out of business sale this month, and said he'd call me closer to the time with more info. I hadn't heard anything from him when I got the temp job (I think they're still having trouble getting business - they recently started advertising for the sale which is ongoing this month), but I thought I'd call and let him know that I got a job and couldn't work unless it was on the weekends. I was in a rush and forgot to add that this was a temp job, and that I was still looking at other opportunities. I thought about calling or messaging, esp. now that I'm out of the temp job, to say thanks for helping before and to say that I'm still looking around at other opportunities (I won't mention leaving the temp job). Would that be naggy or unprofessional?

Well, the way I see it is that you taught yourself a good lesson - don't be too quick to decide something (e.g., leaving a job) before you've thought about it. I like the approach to be as long as it's not hurting me then it's fine for now. I am sure you could have worked your job hunt around the temp job, if not, then leave. Also, consider the effect this may have had on a future opportunity: YOu accept a job then soon bail out, with what appears to be very little effort to adapt. Your employer will think, "Okay, doesn't adapt well..." or something like that. I've done well in jobs becuase I have taken the poopy ones and done them well indicating that I am eager to help and capable of doing it.

Anyway, I'd go back and talk to them like; remember, it's a business so you should be professional about it.

• Author

I am sure you could have worked your job hunt around the temp job

No, not really, because we don't get off until midnight, and I can't fall asleep until after 2 in the morning. I don't sleep in because I automatically wake up around 8am. I feel really tired the next day, so I'm unable to get much done during the morning hours (I go into work in the afternoon). I'd be physically able to interview in the morning, but I wouldn't be on top of things like you have to be during an interview. It also doesn't seem like physically tiring work because we're sitting down, but it is - we keep a fast pace, which I'm not used to. If I had a day in middle of the week to get things done and rest, it would be easier.

I will talk to the temp agency and see what they say. I know they said they'd send a replacement on Monday, but there is a high turnaround with these positions, so they may want more people. I know they were planning to add another person even before I left. I'm a hard worker and don't mess around like some of the others, so that should account for something.

Sixth,

I am just curious, what kind of work are you looking for, and what steps have you taken to find what you need? It is not easy to find a job sometimes to find the right one it can take weeks, so hang in there. Employers like to see that you are indeed still working while shopping around, shows them that you have a good work ethic.

• Author
Sixth,

I am just curious, what kind of work are you looking for, and what steps have you taken to find what you need? It is not easy to find a job sometimes to find the right one it can take weeks, so hang in there. Employers like to see that you are indeed still working while shopping around, shows them that you have a good work ethic.

I went to paralegal school. I had planned on living in an urban area where this is a lucrative career, but I later decided I didn't want to stay. I went back to my hometown where the law offices are really small and don't employ paralegals. I went around to law offices and talked to a few contacts, but nothing came up from that. I applied to a couple legal secretary ads I've seen. The offices called because they were concerned that I was overqualified for the positions and wanted to know what kind of salary I wanted. I told them that I didn't have a lot of legal experience, was just looking to start out, etc. They seemed to get it, and said they'd call me back for an interview, but never did. :( Guess they weren't convinced. It's been horrible. If my apt. hadn't been robbed, I would've stayed in the city where jobs are plentiful. Crime is a problem there, and I don't even want to commute (an hour) to be there. As it is, I'll probably never feel safe living on my own again, but at least here I have family around. Too bad there are no good jobs! :mad: I wouldn't mind doing an admin job - in fact, that's what I had in mind when I went to paralegal school, but since I have a bachelor's they see me as overqualified. It's really a lose-lose situation.

napoleandynamite

"The woman at the desk said that they'd just go ahead and consider that my notice, but she didn't seem very happy about it. From talking to some of the other temps at the job, they have a hard time keeping temps for the reasons I mentioned. "

Don't worry about making them "feel bad". There are no emotions in the working world. Trust me, if you were a full-time permanent employee and they wanted to let you go, do you think they would feel bad???

"The woman at the desk said that they'd just go ahead and consider that my notice, but she didn't seem very happy about it. From talking to some of the other temps at the job, they have a hard time keeping temps for the reasons I mentioned. "

Don't worry about making them "feel bad". There are no emotions in the working world. Trust me, if you were a full-time permanent employee and they wanted to let you go, do you think they would feel bad???

True in some cases loyalty does not exist, but you don't want to burn a bridge either, and you need solid references so I would play it safe, also you may have a contact down the road.

Look on line while you are temping as well, I went through a temp agency and I actually found my own job before they did.

If a company thinks that you are overqualified then we do need to come up with some answers to the questions they may ask you about that.

Does anyone have help on this?

I'm kind of the same situation, I've just graduated college in may and havent found a job in my field yet. I'm about an hours comute away from a big city with lots of jobs and I also live in a good job market. Economy does seem to be a little slow though. Ive been working frieght in a wharehouse and kinda fallen into a routine. I could probably make it to late interviews if I could get some after 3pm and 4:30pm would be incredible if they were willing to interview that late. I've considered doing temp work the only problem is I do get benefits at my current job full medical dental and vision plan as well as sick days and payed vacation. The health care alone is worth 1000$ a month so If I got a temp job it would have to pay almost double what I make now to be worth it.

• Author

I called today, but the lady I usually speak with was headed to an interview. The receptionist told me to hold for a minute, but I guess the lady didn't want to speak with me because I was told that, "She's going to the interview right now and will call you later on today if she has time." She never called. The head of the agency is one of my dad's friends - he's who I talked to the first time I called on Friday - and that is who I really want to talk to, but his assistant is always the one who helps me. I am kind of miffed. I thought about going in tomorrow just because I have to ask about my check, anyway. I could understand why they would be mad, but I could tell they didn't think I'd be a good fit to begin with. She would ask if I thought the job would be too boring. I shouldn't have left, and the only reason I did was because I couldn't get ahold of this lady and didn't want to wait because I'd get sucked into working full-time again next week. I felt so uncomfortable at the place at first, but like I said, I got to talking to people and want to give it a second try.

Do you think I should try to go in and tell them what I've said here, or is it a bad idea? Maybe the lady was just really busy, but the receptionist was kind of snooty about it - I realize that it was probably annoying to them that I quit, but I kind of left it up to them. I wasn't adamant about quitting that day. It's not like it's a job at the Pentagon, either. Three other temps walked out on the job, and it's not like I did that. My dad is a business management professor, and said I handled it well. He doesn't think I should apologize, but he also doesn't get why I want to come back. I've gone through a rough time in recent months, and have made some flighty decisions, but I think I'm getting stronger - I want to prove to myself that I can handle a job. I guess I decided that too late. I'd like another chance at the job - I know I'll come off as flakey or irresponsible, but given the nature of the job, I think my reactions were understandable.

• Author

If a company thinks that you are overqualified then we do need to come up with some answers to the questions they may ask you about that.

I have replies in mind - the ones I mentioned in an earlier post - but, they don't seem to work. I don't know what else to say, except, "I'm looking for a position to start out and gain experience - I don't expect a large salary," or if it's a position that is unrelated to paralegalism, "I have done x work before and really enjoy it, so I'm also looking at positions like this one." I also mention something that appealed to me in the ad.

Look on line while you are temping as well, I went through a temp agency and I actually found my own job before they did.

I have a couple of sites that I frequent. Locally, most jobs are posted either on these two sites or in the newspaper - they don't mess with sites like monster and hotjobs. Many don't advertise at all - I actually heard about a couple of openings through people I know. It's difficult in small areas. I'm also looking at small surrounding areas, but I NEVER hear back from resumes that I send to the out-of-town jobs. It's a pretty clannish area. I'm so used to living in the city where employers come to our school and find US - the school has a great job board, but rarely posts jobs in this area (prolly cause they're AREN'T any, lol!).

Well maybe then you should not go back, just use this as an experience and go on.

I am sure that you could do better, you know that your gut instinct is right so stick to it.

What search engines have you been using to look for work?

• Author

I use careerbuilder.com (our newspaper posts its jobs through there) and the local Chamber of Commerce has a page. I also check online newspapers of towns that are within 30 minutes of here, but like I said, for some reason I don't get replies from those out-of-town jobs. I think people believe this town is farther away from the other towns for some reason - they're all in different counties, but it's the same region of the state. Job hunting is a science, and I sure haven't gotten it figured out yet! I also NEVER had problems finding a job while I was in college, better jobs than I'm looking at now. Now, I'm overqualified for everything. It can't be my appearance - I haven't changed that much. I didn't adapt a bad attitude through the course of college. I'm not sure what it is... I know that I'm probably too good for this job, but honestly, I'm not so sure anymore. I don't really want to go back, but do I have a choice? I don't have people lining up wanting to hire me.

• Author
try monster.com they are national and local as well, Also women for hire is a very good resource to use as well

Thanks, I will.

My dad is friends with the guy who runs the temp agency, so I had him speak with him. I didn't want to get him involved, but I felt like this agent woman was either too busy and forgot to get back with me, or didn't want to. He told him everything I'd said, and he said he'd check with the agent to see what's happening. It's all I can do - I hope it works out because jobs around here are really scarce. I know, I should've given it more of a chance in the first place. :(

• 2 weeks later...

And serioulsly-what you did was unprofessional and made the agency look bad. Good Job. Not only that, you went to your Dad, whined about the agent and most likely got her into trouble, all over something YOU DID. Did you expect her to just drop everything and pander to you? Really, what were you expecting?

You made the decision to quit a perfectly fine position after a mere week, give the agency pretty much no notice, and then, turn around and decide that you should be able to dictate what hours you want to work. Did you for a moment think that perhaps the company has that schedule because it is nescessary to running their business?

That perhaps when they contacted the agency looking for a FULL TIME second shift temp, that's ACTUALLY what they wanted? Your whole comment on "not wanting to get sucked into working another full time work weeK" just says it all in my opinion.

I don't know what you are expecting, working a second shift job while looking for a full-time first shift job isn't rocket science. So you're a little tired the next day, get over it. Your sense of entitlement astounds me. If you didn't want the origional job in the first place, you should have turned it down in the first place. With all of your education, this shouldn't be something that surprises you.

Lastly, you have pretty much burned this bridge, the only way that I could see the agency every using you again is because they were strongarmed into using you because of your whining to your dad. If they do call you again, be sure, in fact, know for a fact it is because they really didn't want to place you, but were forced to, and I promise you, your name is bandied about the office, but not in the way you think.

If I were the owner of that agency, (And I do own my own recruiting firm, I just do not choose to deal with temps anymore, to much drama) I would seriously hesitate utilizing you in the future--what guarantee are you going to give them that you won't pull another stunt like this? ...I thought so.

Figure out what company you want to work for, find out which temp service they use, apply to that service, let that service know that when an opening that you are qualified for opens up at XYZ firm, you would like to be submitted.

If you aren't sure which company interests you, apply at a staffing firm, and accept positions that match your skills and expertise, if you do not like a company, or specific job, speak with your Rep before you do anything. Most likely, they can find you another position, as long as you give them enough notice, friday at noon is not enough notice. Also, ask to meet with the company first before any long term indefinite assignment is accepted. Most companies in my part of the country want to meet the temp before hand.

Another thing, I have had three times in the last year where I placed someone on a 2 day assignment, and the companies decided they didn't want to lose the temp so they extended offers to that candidates, all accepted and are happy at their new jobs. All it takes is a good attitude, a willingness to do the work they ask you to, and showing up on time. Again, not rocket science.

Good Luck

And serioulsly-what you did was unprofessional and made the agency look bad. Good Job. Not only that, you went to your Dad, whined about the agent and most likely got her into trouble, all over something YOU DID. Did you expect her to just drop everything and pander to you? Really, what were you expecting?

You made the decision to quit a perfectly fine position after a mere week, give the agency pretty much no notice, and then, turn around and decide that you should be able to dictate what hours you want to work. Did you for a moment think that perhaps the company has that schedule because it is nescessary to running their business?

That perhaps when they contacted the agency looking for a FULL TIME second shift temp, that's ACTUALLY what they wanted? Your whole comment on "not wanting to get sucked into working another full time work weeK" just says it all in my opinion.

I don't know what you are expecting, working a second shift job while looking for a full-time first shift job isn't rocket science. So you're a little tired the next day, get over it. Your sense of entitlement astounds me. If you didn't want the origional job in the first place, you should have turned it down in the first place. With all of your education, this shouldn't be something that surprises you.

Lastly, you have pretty much burned this bridge, the only way that I could see the agency every using you again is because they were strongarmed into using you because of your whining to your dad. If they do call you again, be sure, in fact, know for a fact it is because they really didn't want to place you, but were forced to, and I promise you, your name is bandied about the office, but not in the way you think.

If I were the owner of that agency, (And I do own my own recruiting firm, I just do not choose to deal with temps anymore, to much drama) I would seriously hesitate utilizing you in the future--what guarantee are you going to give them that you won't pull another stunt like this? ...I thought so.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM HERE! OMG! FREAKING AMAZING