How to negotiate rate with temp agency?

So a couple weeks ago i took up my first job that this temp agency assigned to me, i asked what the rate was, and she said minimum was $XX/hourly.

However other than taking the job and awaiting for my paycheck in the mail later this week...i havent spoken about the rate since.

And today they called and i took up another job, now considering about the rates and such.

Since i havent seen the check, im guessing my rate for the last job was $XX.

And on the application with the temp agency, i also happened to put around that range...

However since I'm still a senior in college i feel i should be greatful for such great pay, and having the agency assign me to jobs which i can add to my resume. Me and my friend are talking about wages and hourly rates and i feel i should request more from the agency.

How should I go about negotiating the rate with the agency? Is my rate allowed to change during the course of working with an assigned company?

How much is too much when requesting a higher rate?

How long have you worked for them? If you've been on the job for awhile, sure go ahead and ask. It won't hurt. But don't get your hopes up. They get a certain rate and giving you a raise will cut into their profit. Managers are under a great deal of pressure to attain a certain profit margin. I know because I managed a temp agency for a few years.

But look, you have nothing to lose. Prove that you're a great employee and they will probably want to keep you and make you happy. I'd wait at LEAST 3 months though before you approach them.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks for the advice.

Anyway havent been working too much, maybe at best a few weeks. maybe in the future i should ask.

However just to get some clarity, after every temp job are the supervisors at the company supposed to give my agency a review of me? or optional on their free will?