When I think of something, the opposite happens?

nice honest man

I have observed that whenever I plan for something or say something good, the exact opposite happens. This has been driving me crazy for me all my life. It basically means that I can never be an optimist. However, I am the exact opposite in personality. I have always been an optimist. Over the years, I wish I could change this and tried various forms of spirituality and beliefs to overcome or reverse the phenomenon. And nothing has really worked.

Any ideas?

YellowLioness

Can ya give an example? I mean...it's sort of hard to comment if I don't know what I'm commenting about.

• Author
nice honest man

It's hard to start...it happens on every level, big and small, of my life.

Just for example, I bought a new car that had a high safety rating (which was my number 1 priority) and soon after it had a safety issue recall. I rented a house that was dead-quiet every time I checked it out (I drove by and sat in my parked car outside it at different times/days of the week) and as soon as I rented it the teenager next door bought a huge stereo with a subwwofer that could take paint off the walls and blasts it all day from literally 9am-10pm!

On smaller levels, I will tell someone how great it is Ive been sleeping all night without waking up (I dont sleep well) and that night I will wake up in the middle of the night. Or I will think to myself how great it is that I havent had a pimple in weeks and I will get a huge one the next day. Or that I should eat a banana every day for my health, and the next day I read that because of a local bad weather, 80% of the crops have been wiped out and banana prices have gone up 400%

Anyway, I could go on and on, and all my friends could tell you just as many stories, I'm quite famous for it, but hopefully you get the idea :)

Cheers

It is called Murphy's Law ..

That is why your don't talk about things that you want to happen ( knock on wood )

• 2 weeks later...

I think this can happen to anyone, me for example. I've said how my skin had a really clear complexion the next thing its dry and im getting the odd spot. I'm always saying i dont want this to happen and it does, its called life!

You can't stop yourself from thinking things.

That happens to me as well. I stopped saying stuff because that was like jinxing it. Later I realised that the reason it upset me so much when it didn't happen was because I was a control freak and needed to have everything planned out to the ;ast detail. I hate surprises or going with the flow when it comes to serious stuff in my life. Ultimately, the world is bigger than you so things don't always turn out the way you want them to. Learn to deal with what you can and leave the rest of it to powers that be. The only spirituality that will help you is leaving it all to God and that means having an active relationship with Him. It definately worked for me.

There are people who would say that because you expect things to go wrong, you cause them to do so. We certainly don't yet understand everything about physics and particularly how we as expressions of energy interact with the energy in the universe.

The other thing is that people tend to pay attention to information that confirms their theories and ignore information that counters them, so you probably have had equally as many good things happen but you ignore them and pay attention to only the bad.

• 3 weeks later...