I'm Agnostic, are you?

For a long time i thought i was Athiest, turns out im agnostic as well!

Definition of Agnostic:

Agnosticism is a concept, not a religion. It is a belief related to the existence or non-existence of God.

An agnostic is a person who feels that God's existence can neither be proved nor disproved, on the basis of current evidence. Agnostics note that some theologians and philosophers have tried to to prove, for millennia, that God exists. Others have attempted to prove that God does not exist. Agnostics feel that neither side has convincingly succeeded at their task.

Are they Theists? No, because Agnostics do not believe in a God, or a Goddess, or in multiple Gods, or multiple Goddesses or in a pantheon of Gods and Goddesses.

An agnostic usually holds the question of the existence of God open, pending the arrival of more evidence. They are willing to change their belief if some solid evidence or logical proof is found in the future. However, some have taken the position that there is no logical way in which the existence or the non-existence of a deity can be proven.

horizontal rule

Famous Agnostics:

Charles Darwin, a 19th century British self-taught geologist and writer. He attended a course in theology at Christ's College, Cambridge. Darwin wrote in two places in his book "Life and Letters" about his personal faith:

"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an Agnostic."

"I think an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind. The whole subject [of God] is beyond the scope of man's intellect."

Thomas H. Huxley, a well known English religious skeptic, invented the term Agnostic in the 1840's. He combined "a" which implies negative, with "gnostic" which is a Greek word meaning knowledge.

In 1899, he wrote:

"...every man should be able to give a reason for the faith that is in him; it is the great principle of Descartes; it is the fundamental axiom of modern science. Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. That I take to be the agnostic faith, which if a man keep whole and undefiled, he shall not be ashamed to look the universe in the face, whatever the future may have in store for him." 7

He also wrote:

"When I reached intellectual maturity, and began to ask myself whether I was an atheist, a theist, or a pantheist; a materialist or an idealist; a Christian or a freethinker, I found that the more I learned and reflected, the less ready was the answer; until at last I came to the conclusion that I had neither art nor part with any of these denominations, except the last...So I took thought, and invented what I conceived to be the appropriate title of "agnostic". It came into my head as suggestively antithetic to the "gnostic" of Church history, who professed to know so much about the very things of which I was ignorant..." 2

Robert G. Ingersoll is perhaps the most famous American Agnostic of the 19th century. He commented on the problem of theodicy -- the presence of evil in a universe that many people believe was created and is run by God:

"There is no subject -- and can be none -- concerning which any human being is under any obligation to believe without evidence...The man who, without prejudice, reads and understands the Old and New Testaments will cease to be an orthodox Christian. The intelligent man who investigates the religion of any country without fear and without prejudice will not and cannot be a believer....He who cannot harmonize the cruelties of the Bible with the goodness of Jehovah, cannot harmonize the cruelties of Nature with the goodness and wisdom of a supposed Deity. He will find it impossible to account for pestilence and famine, for earthquake and storm, for slavery, for the triumph of the strong over the weak, for the countless victories of injustice. He will find it impossible to account for martyrs -- for the burning of the good, the noble, the loving, by the ignorant, the malicious, and the infamous. " 3

Bertrand Russell was a well known British philosopher of the 20th century. He was arrested during World War I for anti-war activities, and filled out a form at the jail. The officer, noting that Russell had defined his religious affiliation as "Agnostic" commented: "Ah yes; we all worship Him in our own way, don't we." This comment allegedly "kept him smiling through his first few days of incarceration." 4

Francois M. Voltaire, the French 18th century author and playwright is often considered the father of Agnosticism.

Source= http://www.religioustolerance.org/agnostic.htm

Religion is nothing more than a tool used to control the masses.

I don't need religion to be a good citizen, a loyal member of my family or dedicated friend.

Religion is a tool for the masses, this is no secret, to qoute Napoleon boneparte twice:

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."

My name is Breed, and i am Agnostic, are you?

My name is Breed, and i am Agnostic, are you?

My name is Lindya, and I believe each person is born with something inexplicable that isn't part of their body, mind or emotions...but is best described as a soul, that perhaps manifests itself to others through their general "character".

The code of ethics a person lives by, the choices they make and the way they treat others all help to shape that soul. Religious teachings might be of assistance to those in particular need of guidance, but they have their limitations...particularly as people will often interpret religious writings in the way that best suits their own particular prejudices or interests. I think many people can - and do - shape their own souls and characters without organised religious interference.

I have never really considered myself to be agnostic allthough I guess in a way I am. There really is no way to prove god/goddess exist or dosen't. I really do not connect myself with any religion as the thought of a higher power seems crazy with all the hate, murder, and bigotry generaly carried out in the name of god. Then again to look at the whole earth and everything in it and everything that makes every organisim work. Consider this then try to imagine something as pathetic as humans as the dominant species. One is almost forced to think that there is something out there some where. So I am not sure that this is enough to be considered an agnostic but to me it is something to think about.

I use to be an agnostic, Dawkins turned me into an atheist.

Do you believe in fairies? I don't. Yet it is impossible for anyone to prove fairies do not exist. Everyone really should be calling themshelves "fairy agnostics." But who does? How many things are there in the world can be proven 100%?

Both an agnostics and atheists don't believe or adhere to any religion, they are both without God. Why believe in anything you can't prove. You can't prove fairies, unicorns, or God. Agnostics and atheist are functionally the same.

• Author

Athiests agree that there is no god

Agnostics agree that there may be a god, but he's yet to make an appearence that can be scientifically proven to be true.

Athiests work in black, agnostics work on shades of gray.

HokeyReligions

I've seen that definition before. It one of many "official" definitions of agnosticism -- although why people need there to BE an official definition is beyond me.

I've been agnostic for years and my definition is: I don't believe in any God, but I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong.

There are several threads on this in LoveShack.

HokeyReligions
Agnostics and atheist are functionally the same.

There is a subtle but profound difference. True athiests want to stamp out any reference to Gods or religion and firmly believe that no divine being exists or ever existed, and have very little - or no - tolerance for the beliefs of others.

Agnostics recognize that there is a possibility.

• Author

HokeyReligions

Actually the fact is you can be agnostic AND athiest.

As i am.

I'd happily see a lot of the religions removed from existance, not because i don't particularily like/agree with them, but because i liek so many see what most religions really are: tools of higher powers to control, and no i am not talking about god, i mean the government/people/person with authority over the masses.

It's easy to follow rules when your master's existance can never be proven or totally denied with any degree of certaintity, but when belieiving can save your "soul" and not beleiving can damn you to eternal torment then the choice must be pretty easy, dont you agree?

I'd ratehr see these people living there lives to the full, making things happen and truly caring for other people, instead of doing what there chosen religion tells them to do and how to act.

I refer of course to the mass control religions, i would be quite happy to see many of the self-fullfillment beliefs in full use such as buddhism and mormanism(?).

As long as people have a choice and that there beliefs are truly helping themselves and others, then they cannot be part of any of the more mainstream religions of western society.

• Like 1
There is a subtle but profound difference. True athiests want to stamp out any reference to Gods or religion and firmly believe that no divine being exists or ever existed, and have very little - or no - tolerance for the beliefs of others.

Agnostics recognize that there is a possibility.

Well what the hell am I?

I don't care if you worship a shoe...... I do not believe the shoe created the universe.... yet I do not have the desire to stomp out your belief...... I just do not wish to follow your rules of shoe in my own life.

So what am I? A passive Atheist? :D

a4a

• Like 1
  • Author
Well what the hell am I?

I don't care if you worship a shoe...... I do not believe the shoe created the universe.... yet I do not have the desire to stomp out your belief...... I just do not wish to follow your rules of shoe in my own life.

So what am I? A passive Atheist? :D

Pure Agnostic :) aka passive Agnostic :bunny:

Yes, we can be both agnostic and atheist.

I don't know if God exists (agnostic), but I surely don't believe in one (atheist).

I choose atheist because it more clear.

When you think about, we don't "know" anything.

I don't know if Elvis is alive,

I don't know if space aliens are having sex with kidnapped Earthlings,

I don't know if I live in the Matrix,

I don't know if a pan-dimensional creator uber-Zeus who enjoys the smell of roasted mutton exists.

I mean, anythings possible.

But I surely don't BELIEVE in any of this crap. Neither do agnostics (well, as least most don't). Both are without a religion. This is what I mean when they are functionally the same. I think most agnostic are atheist trying to be polite to people who don't deserve it. HokeyReligions, The subtle difference is that one has balls and the other doesn't.

Few atheists will actually try to disproven God, for example, showing that it is impossible for a being to be all-knowing, all-powerful at the same time. Or showing that the existance of evil proves God isn't real.