Why do I cry at church? Does anyone else?

Ok..does anyone else experience this or just me?

I am catholic...was raised this way......and now that I am an adult, I go to mass on my own(without my parents dragging me as they did until I was 18). I enjoy going....one thing that is happening lately is I cry almost each time I go. I do not know what happens to me? I just get very emotional. It is an overwhelming feeling. That is the only way I can describe it. I am pretty depressed with my life right now and it seems all sermons are just for me and make so much sense. The songs they sing also make me cry. It is not a sad cry, but a good one? Does anyone else have this issue? It is kind of embarassing.

One more thing...could it be that I feel that God is disappointed with my choices lately? Could it be that I feel guilty for leading a life that God prob is not too happy with? I do not do anyting horrible, but sometimes I put up with things that I should not and I know that I chosse things in life that make me very unhappy and hurt.

HokeyReligions

I don't mean this to be rude, but maybe you are feeling sorry for yourself? Perhaps you are disappointed in the choices you have made and at the stage your life is in right now and don't know how to change it or follow what you deem God's path for you, so it becomes overwhelming and you cry.

I've seen others cry in church and I remember once or twice when I was trying so hard to believe (before I left the faith) that the sermons and singing made me feel so low and not part of anything that was so important to others, and I felt like an outcast and it overwhelmed me to where I shed a couple of tears of self-pity.

• Author

well in the last 5 yrs this has been happening? And it has only been the last 2 that I have not been so happy with my life. So, it could be self pity, but not sure what it was prior to my life chaning recently.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Beth, are we the same person or what? There are so many similarities - I see myself in many of your posts.

I avoid going to church, not only cuz mass is held so darn early in the summer, but because of the emotions that pass thru me. I believe I am feeling sorry for myself, but with good reason. There were many times while I was still married, sitting next to my stranger/husband and our children. People would give us that "oh what a nice looking perfect little family" look and my heart would break knowing it was far from perfect and that I was doing everything I knew how to try and make it work but all I got was neglect.

One mothers day, when my second child was a baby, they gave a flower to all the mom's. My husband had forgotten, and it was probably one of the only occasions I didn't "remind" him of. He felt like crap and I was near tears thru the whole service.

• Author

wow-I look at all the families in church and think of how I want a family and here you have one and you do not seem happy either? I guess all the families I see are not as perfect as they seem?

Wow....you just gave me a glimpse of what my life would be like if I ended up with my selfish ex....except I would prob have to attend masas alone with the kids.

RecordProducer

Beth, I know this feeling. You're overwhelmed and cry. You can see something big and meaningful and cry. Something so touching and wonderful, it makes you cry. It's not sadness in the real sense; it's awe towards life and nature. I completely divide it from grief. I am not religious at all, but I understand what you're talking about. Do you happen to be some water astrological sign, like scorpio or cancer, probably pisces? :)

When you feel that God is speaking to you in some way, always listen to that. God does know our problems and that's good because He does know how to help us. As a Christian I believe very much that God's Holy Spirit does speak to our hearts and that is where the rush of emotion comes from. It's an inner knowledge that God is with us, an assurance that His love is forever, and that He will never take that from us. No one has ever promised us that life will be easy in any way, but God's love does lift us to a higher place. It always will.

RecordProducer
Originally posted by beth5201

I am a Libra---know anything about those????

Yes, it is an overwhelming feeling!

Well I am not much of an astrology person, but it's funny that I am a typical piscean. My mom is a Libra. You can find about it on the net just for fun. :p

Yes, this happens to me. I get overwhelmed with God's love and so full of thanksgiving that I'm moved to tears by the sermon, the music, everything.

• Like 1

A pipe organ produces sound at an inaudible pitch that has an emotional impact on people. Interesting? Churches by their design tend to create an ethereal experience. Couple this with inner emotions that inevitably run deep at certain times in life will produce this profound feeling. Thus all other aspects are drawn into the moment.

Originally posted by Mz. Pixie

Yes, this happens to me. I get overwhelmed with God's love and so full of thanksgiving that I'm moved to tears by the sermon, the music, everything.

I hear ya! You want to see a Moose cry? All I have to do is hear, "Amazing Grace", or, "I can only imagine".
MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

I was at a church where the choir was singing How Great Thou Art, and it was a reunion choir from like 25 years earlier, and half the congregation had to go outside and shed their tears, and I was about to ask my dad why ppl were leaving when I saw a tear streaming down his cheek.

He told me after that song is played at alot of funerals, and also the sound of the choir sent everyone back 25 years.

:(

Brandi Renee

i avoid church frequently because of this emotion. I am emabrassed to let people see me cry in church adn that is my own personal insecurity, but I know why I cry.

Regardless of your sadness/issues ect, the reason you cry is becaseu the HOLY SPIRIT is moving thru you. IT is the most wonderful thing you can feel.

So be glad that you can feel this emotion. there are allot of churches that the Holy Spirit is jut not present. Then there are ones where it is.

I also notice my hair standing on end as well.

I never said I didn't know what caused me to cry........I know why.

Why do you avoid Church if the Holy Spirit moves through you? That should be something you look forward to, not avoid.

Who cares what other people think??? What's more important, a relationship with God or what people think about you?

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40
Originally posted by Brandi Renee

i avoid church frequently because of this emotion. I am emabrassed to let people see me cry in church adn that is my own personal insecurity, but I know why I cry.

Regardless of your sadness/issues ect, the reason you cry is becaseu the HOLY SPIRIT is moving thru you. IT is the most wonderful thing you can feel.

So be glad that you can feel this emotion. there are allot of churches that the Holy Spirit is jut not present. Then there are ones where it is.

I also notice my hair standing on end as well.

But my hair just stood on end reading this!!!

• Author

oh Amazing Grace, Here I am, and Be not Afraid send my tears a stremin'

I guess since I rarely ever see other people crying, I must be the only one having the holy spirit go thru me.

I knew I felt something and now I am glad to know what it is. What a great and overwhelming feeling!

Kinda goes back to my thread"Name a time when you knew God was with you"

Originally posted by beth5201

oh Amazing Grace, Here I am, and Be not Afraid send my tears a stremin'

I guess since I rarely ever see other people crying, I must be the only one having the holy spirit go thru me.

I knew I felt something and now I am glad to know what it is. What a great and overwhelming feeling!

Kinda goes back to my thread"Name a time when you knew God was with you"

After experiencing that, it's hard to believe there are people who don't even believe in God.......
  • Author

I wish non belivers could feel what I did. I have an athesist friend who does not understand and I would love her to feel what I do.

clandestinidad

I grew up being a Christian, and know a bit about it, and understand what you're describing.......

but I'm not really sure where I stand in the whole "religion" thing. Another topic though.

Something you said really rubbed me the wrong way though (and its a small example of one of the things that bothers me about church and religion)....it was this:

Be very careful when you judge other people's faith and relationship w/ God (or whoever they follow, whatever they believe). You have NO idea what they are thinking or feeling, and CANNOT be the judge of their 'Godliness'. Its between THEM and GOD, and you CANNOT compare yourself to others like that

it really sounded like this: 'I'm looking around during church, looking to see if anyone else is as moved as I am....hmmm, I dont see anyone else crying.....that must mean they're not as close to God as I am....the holy spirit isnt moving though them....but it IS moving though ME....doesnt that make me feel good"

I'm sorry if I sound really rude. I'm just hoping that you'll see how wrong it is in God's eyes to compare your faith and relationship to other peoples' as arrogantly/prideful as you did

• Author
it really sounded like this: 'I'm looking around during church, looking to see if anyone else is as moved as I am....hmmm, I dont see anyone else crying.....that must mean they're not as close to God as I am....the holy spirit isnt moving though them....but it IS moving though ME....doesnt that make me feel good"

Oh that was so not what I meant..............you added a lot to what I said. I guess instead of a period at the end of my sentence I should have put a question mark......

I am wondering if this is so common,(as everyone seems to say) why do I never see anyone else crying?

I realize that

You have NO idea what they are thinking or feeling, and CANNOT be the judge of their 'Godliness'. Its between THEM and GOD, and you CANNOT compare yourself to others like that

I'm just hoping that you'll see how wrong it is in God's eyes to compare your faith and relationship to other peoples' as arrogantly/prideful as you did
Do you see how you comitted the same act? Let's be careful.
MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

It's kind of like crying at a movie. My exH cries at Disney movies. I have cried maybe once or twice over a movie, but that doesn't mean the movie didn't "move" me. I just don't cry at movies.