LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

The Unpardonable Sin...

Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2019, 11:40 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
Fun fact: there's a pretty good argument that taking the "mark of the beast" as described in Revelation is also an unpardonable sin.
Wow GT... I have never thought of this, Good one! Also Good one to all of the responses, as they have all given much thoughtful information.

Humm, and here with the article in OP I had finally answered this question... now I have more questions I love how God works- and I would imagine if one is 'scared' of blasphemy, they probably have not committed this unpardonable sins! (Watch someone will answer what I just said with a really good explanation and I'll be back to square one again lol)
Old 16th February 2019, 10:10 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureinheart View Post
and I would imagine if one is 'scared' of blasphemy,
Well...not specific to being 'scared of blasphemy', but I just recently started working to make sure that what I've got going on is "love of God and fear of evil".
This of course got twisted into "fear of God", when the religious power elite of the day decided to anthropomorphize God.

Figuring out if, where and how I am "fearing God" is a fun puzzle all by itself.
Ronni_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2019, 11:38 PM   #18
Established Member

The mark of the beast came up in our leader's sermon a couple of weeks ago. My husband has spoken of it also. I suspect that the mark is unpardonable because it is a device that takes control of you. My husband found an interesting verse in Revelation 9, about how "In those days men will seek death but will not find it." As in, people want to kill themselves but are controlled to the point of being unable to.

What is frightening to us is that computer chip technology has advanced to the point where the powers that be would like to implant everybody with a chip to identify them and hold health and financial information. To me, this sounds like the mark. If it is a device, perhaps it will be linked with some kind of mind control? So after you take this mark, you no longer have free will, and thus you cannot repent...which makes the sin unpardonable.

My husband strongly believes that the end times are close, and that he will see the end within his lifetime. It gives him purpose, but the thought scares the hell out of me.
Old 28th February 2019, 4:18 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_merrick View Post
<snip> a device that takes control of you.
Yes. There is an Ascended-Master discourse/teaching on this, which also includes a subtle aspect of how free will works.
Old 3rd April 2019, 1:17 PM   #20
zig
Established Member

I don't believe there is an unpardonable sin against god because I don't believe in sin and I don't believe in god.

However, there was a time in my life when I did. I believed in eternal security so I wrote off the unpardonable sin as something that can't be committed today. The people at the time actually saw Christ in the flesh and saw the miracles. They were without excuse and directly rejected the holy spirit for not believing.
zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 5:17 PM   #21
Established Member

zig,

Do you mind my asking what caused you to stop believing in God?
And, was it directly related to there being (or not being) something like an 'unpardonable' transgression against the Will and/or Laws of God?

My reason for asking is that I recently came across a spiritual Discourse that says that the reason that many people become atheistic is because of a belief in an angry, punitive, condemning God...
...which, the only way that people who believe in that can find any peace is to totally deny that God.

What were your original beliefs about 'the unpardonable sin' that made you also believe that people (you and/or I) cannot commit it in this Age?
And, what made you then realize that we still can commit 'the unpardonable sin' in this Age?

If you don't want to discuss this in public, that's perfectly fine. It's just that I enjoy having other perspectives, because those help me to develop and refine my own beliefs and perspectives, as well.
Old 15th April 2019, 3:28 PM   #22
zig
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronni_W View Post
zig,

Do you mind my asking what caused you to stop believing in God?
Rational, logical thinking. I get my reality from the world I observe around me. Not from mystical, spiritual or ambiguous faith type beliefs.

As for all your other questions I don't think it's of any value to try to answer them. You are way overthinking it.

I don't know if it's completely accurate to say I stopped believing in god. More specifically I stopped believing in christianity and haven't been convinced of any other religions. I consider myself agnostic. I'm more than willing to believe in god if and when I'm convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. Your the one making the claim so the burden of proof is on you. My standpoint is I don't know if there is a god or not but I'm not going to believe until I have reason to.

Last edited by zig; 15th April 2019 at 3:36 PM..
Old 15th April 2019, 5:07 PM   #23
Established Member

Ah...okay...thanks for responding.
Taking the scientific approach that all causes of the material must be found in the material certainly isn't new.
On the other hand, all scientists who have made any breakthroughs have had to ask all number and kinds of questions...to me, they didn't 'over-think' things at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig View Post
More specifically I stopped believing in christianity
Yep; me, too...but, on my side, it turned out that I only stopped believing in Roman Christianity, but not, as it turns out, in the original Christianity of the Gnostics.

I don't feel any burden to prove to anyone else the existence of God, so I'm not sure from where you got that. Expressing what I believe, whether it's scientific or faith-based should not be confused
as me trying to prove something about it.

As I understand it, an aspect of the Law of Free Will requires that, in any unascended sphere, there must always be enough room left
for 'plausible spiritual deniability', so, while on Earth, we will never get 100%, inviolable, absolute proof.
Which kind of simultaneously does and does not make sense to me. If that makes sense. .
Old 15th April 2019, 8:32 PM   #24
zig
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronni_W View Post
Ah...okay...thanks for responding.
Taking the scientific approach that all causes of the material must be found in the material certainly isn't new.
On the other hand, all scientists who have made any breakthroughs have had to ask all number and kinds of questions...to me, they didn't 'over-think' things at all.
I'm perfectly content with accepting "I don't know" when I don't have the answer to something. Just because science doesn't have an answer to something doesn't mean it's God. As an example, science can't explain why gravity works, therefore God. We don't know the origins of the universe and can't explain it, therefore God. People can't fathom how something special happened in their life as coincidence, therefore God. Someone goes in for surgery to have a tumor removed and when they open them up the tumor is gone. Doctors can't explain it, therefore God.

[/QUOTE]Expressing what I believe, whether it's scientific or faith-based should not be confused as me trying to prove something about it.[/QUOTE]

exactly why I used the word ambiguous with faith.

Last edited by zig; 15th April 2019 at 8:34 PM..
Old 15th April 2019, 10:26 PM   #25
Established Member

- I was brought up Roman Catholic in school uniform and did all the standard Roman Catholic stuff.
- I then became a science geek at the end of primary school
- I learned about all the wars and murder committed in the name of religion - and decided it's really not my place to try and enforce religion on other people. I really became disenchanted about this aspect.
- My favorite thing is hugging other people and learning about their perspective in life - I hug everything from whales to babies.
- Because Science has done so many spectacular things - I now believe in the scientific approach to the world, but at the same time don't try to enforce it on people I don't know. I certainly do my duty as a pediatrician to enforce some science on my patient families, but do it nicely.
- now I'm still a big fan of people learning as much religion as they want. But I am vehemently against any religious folk using the Bible and passing it off as science lessons. That, I will fight vigorously. But having spirituality and a scientific mind can coexist in my little book.
Garcon1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 10:59 PM   #26
zig
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcon1986 View Post
But having spirituality and a scientific mind can coexist in my little book.
Maybe so. It's something I will consider and think about. I'm always open expanding my knowledge about life. Life is something we know so little about.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:04 PM   #27
Established Member

Take the famous physicist Brian Greene, or the astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Brian is Jewish, and Neil is plenty happy talking about how the connectedness of the Universe is almost spiritual, but he claims his actual religious belief is agnostic.
Garcon1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 10:39 AM   #28
Established Member

Garcon1986,

My upbringing is very similar to yours (RC school, etc.), but I only became an astrophysics geek in my 40s. .

I've never actually heard people using biblical/spiritual lessons to support a scientific explanation for anything, but of course it's possible that they would. On the other hand,
it is my own sense that there must be a scientific basis for the things that are recorded that Jesus did...which are also recorded in the letters of Herod and Pilate, who were not followers of Jesus.
(If interested, the letters can be found at the back of the manuscript 'The Lost Books of the Bible'...if not interested, please just ignore the link.)

I do agree with you that God and science can coexist in the same mind...and scientists do, as well...otherwise they would not have called it 'the God Particle'. .
For me, when they do finally unravel the origin and nature of that Particle, we might just have to come to see God as the Ultimate Supreme Scientist.

In the meantime, I do very much appreciate and also go by your philosophy to just 'live and let live', without trying to force any ideas or approach onto other people.