Destiny vs. free will

Can I get people's thoughts on this? How much of what happens in our lives is destiny vs free will? For example, I believe some people are truly meant to be together (destiny) but what if I'm destined to be single forever and die before getting the chance to have my own family? What sort of free will do I get in that?

And I feel like I was destined to help people but I never would have become a therapist if I didn't exercise my free will to work hard.

I'm thinking deep right now lol.

How much of what happens in our lives is destiny vs free will?
Our destiny is the result (consequence) of how we have used our free will in the past.

However, neither Destiny nor Fate (from our past actions) has any control over how we decide and choose to use our free will in the current lifetime. So, we cannot say that we are "destined in this life to be" single...or to be a doctor...or to be with one specific person or another.

At least, we can say that (because we have the free will to do so :)), but it wouldn't be accurate, in the sense that it does not take into account our whole Karma (from all prior lifetimes and/or free-will decisions and choices).

Deep thinking is good thinking! ;)

• Like 3
Can I get people's thoughts on this? How much of what happens in our lives is destiny vs free will? For example, I believe some people are truly meant to be together (destiny) but what if I'm destined to be single forever and die before getting the chance to have my own family? What sort of free will do I get in that?

And I feel like I was destined to help people but I never would have become a therapist if I didn't exercise my free will to work hard.

I don't believe in actual free will but I think the illusion of free will that most of us have is very helpful in our lives. We certainly make choices and those choices have a large impact in what happens in our lives. That being said, there are things we can't control as well.

I do not believe in destiny or "the one". But again, we often experience the illusion of destiny - that things were just "meant to be". Destiny would imply that there's some grand plan for all of us, but I certainly don't think, or at least have any reason to believe that's the case.

We do live in a cause and effect universe, so we could say that every thing that happens has a cause (therefore it is not "free") so that would suggest there is no free will, but would also suggest that the universe will unfold as it does. But that doesn't mean there's a grand master plan to it all.

I think it's all random:

I met my partner because I accepted an party invitation from a workmate

I met my workmate because I resigned an old job and got a new one

I got the first job because I was unskilled and they'd hire me

I was unskilled because I hated school and wanted to just "get a job"

Therefore, had I worked hard at school and gone to Uni, I would never have met my husband. My partner has also tracked meeting me and it's because of retrenchments and travelling the gym he decided to join. Had he not experienced this sequence of events, he wouldn't have met me either.

Sure, we can also make decisions of the best thing to do at any given time, but I love the whole theory of unintended consequences.

Edited by basil67
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

One who do hard work and get qualifies different life exams, you can say hard work is our destiny. free is nothing in life. I am running cab service (Shashika Cab) in patna through my hard work. Through hard work i have achieved top rating in Patna Taxi Service. without hard work it is impossible to achieved.

So, as per as my opinion Destiny and free all are nothing. we should focus on hard working.

Thanks

Shashika

• 2 weeks later...

Some lessons in life were solidly supposed to happen - and then we were meant to break up.

Where as with my fiance and I - we seemed to have made each other better people, which for individuals like us - is so so so hard to find given how complex and unusual we both are.

I believe in just going with your gut, seeing the lessons you're supposed to learn through, and then expect to break up; this is usually what people in our lifetime are sent to us to achieve.

In my case - it was our free will that trumped all. We were most certainly destined to meet and learn important lessons. But... Rather then give up when the "break up" phase called (we had learnt a myriad of lessons), we couldn't let go, as we found that there was still rapid growth left, still unrealised.

Free will got us past situations whereby most self respecting adults who are not desperate for a relationship - would have left. We were both awful people to one another as we were just so flawed but we were also at a stage spiritually, where we were on the cusp of being READY to progress.. and then met, which makes for a very turbulent time.

Free will is what made us choose to overcome said issues; we were at a life stage where we were both totally fine with being single, we didn't ever think of marriage or kids and had no vested interest in sticking together for any reason; we were both excited about the prospect of being single and getting to sleep with new people in fact.

Sometimes we CHOOSE to rise above adversities, where as other times the connection/relationship is just not compelling enough to want to try for.

Then other times, even CHOOSING and exercising all the free will to fight for things in the world, does not work.

Fate can be open ended; some cases are MEANT to be from the get go, with no end in sight at any stage; the second lot of fated meetings may not have a strong "no" from the universe as to them HAVING to end - but free will is there, and it could go either way I think.

It is not as simple as being meant to be together for ever with no hiccups, and no free will needing to be explored. Especially seeing as the strongest connections are designed to teach the hard lessons which are often difficult, and repel/are incompatible for any intimate relationship to flourish.

That is what I believe and have personally "felt".

I always go to who I am drawn to. And I have learnt to pick up instantly if I am drawn to a guy, as opposed to going through the motions with men that I may get along with and share chemistry with and who look good on paper..

Well this stems from what we know to whole the truth of life itself. We're only know certain things. When it comes to who we are suppose to be with this is what we lack. I have more free will I do whatever I please and live life open minded. I seek a woman with the same but really never found her yet. You choose whoever you can deal with. We're suppose to know the right one for us it will happen. But let it happen don't force it. Destiny can mean anything today. I can change the way I do things or think. We are who we are and make the right choice. Should you go to the left or go to the right. If you gone to the right would the left be the right choice instead? I've done that this week. Took a risk and the results were a lot different that I had expected. It's up to you to make the right choice. Second guess yourself. Like I said if your in a room full of people there is someone in that room for you, open your mind and close your eyes then look around if you see the person who's smiling at you that's the one for you!

Edited by coolheadal